Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Society day at Woldingham GC today. Great condition!
    came 2nd with 38pts off of 13 😃
    unfortunately in our society your hcp gets cut one for each point over 36. Also if you got 36 or more, if you failed to score a point on a hole you get cut one shot for each of these. 
    That means a cut of 4 for me so playing off 9 next time will be something to look forward to 😩
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Society day at Woldingham GC today. Great condition!
    came 2nd with 38pts off of 13 😃
    unfortunately in our society your hcp gets cut one for each point over 36. Also if you got 36 or more, if you failed to score a point on a hole you get cut one shot for each of these. 
    That means a cut of 4 for me so playing off 9 next time will be something to look forward to 😩
    Well played.  Playing off single figures is a great challenge. There’s a few posts about it in previous pages about how to cope when you get a swingeing handicap cut. Just enjoy the moment and don’t set yourself unrealistic expectations. One shot at a time.  
  • Options
    Shot an 80 yesterday at birchwood teeing off just after 6am. My best score to date and finally hit the clubs I got fitted for last September correctly.... it’s been a battle!
  • Options
    Oh and thats 5 three putts too!! 
  • Options
    Shot an 80 yesterday at birchwood teeing off just after 6am. My best score to date and finally hit the clubs I got fitted for last September correctly.... it’s been a battle!
    Good shooting mate.  The problem with custom fitted clubs for handicap golfers is their inconsistency (the golfers).  On the the day of  fitting you might be doing something odd or just having a really good or really bad day. The clubs may be custom fitted to a series of set up/swing faults that you might not regularly repeat. A decent pro should be able to see through that but it very much depends where you got the clubs fitted. 
  • Options
    Totally agree mate, I’ve worked out what works for me for these sticks. Certainly won’t be changing for a long time again!! 
  • Options
    Good shooting mate.  The problem with custom fitted clubs for handicap golfers is their inconsistency (the golfers).  On the the day of  fitting you might be doing something odd or just having a really good or really bad day. The clubs may be custom fitted to a series of set up/swing faults that you might not regularly repeat. A decent pro should be able to see through that but it very much depends where you got the clubs fitted. 
    FIVE 3 putts ????

Jeez, you only needed a new putter ! 🤣
  • Options
    Shot 79 today to equal my best at my course Redlibbits. If you know the course, low scores are hard to come by. No gimme holes. 
    Found a bit of form recently. Long may it continue 🙏
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Shot 79 today to equal my best at my course Redlibbits. If you know the course, low scores are hard to come by. No gimme holes. 
    Brilliant 

Real milestone under 80 👍

Shot 80 twice ..... one day ....

you our live in hope
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well done, any score like that takes a lot of skill and concentration!
  • Options
    Played Weald Of Kent last Wednesday my first round in three years due to health issues with my back and hip. Was in a lot of pain last four holes where I finished 5-7-7-6 but did hit 5 pars during the round and a total of 89.My handicap was 16 before I stopped playing. 
  • Options
    Played West Kent yesterday. It was my first time playing it, really impressed, some absolutely beautiful holes.

Will definitely go back.
  • Options
    After sooooo many attempts @Addickted2TheReds finally achieved 36 points at the London Club today off 18👍

Now the old man is a tad worried that the end is nigh of me being the better golfer 😩😩

Top stuff Son (Chopper) 👍
  • Options

I scored 37 at Walton Heath Old on Monday, not my best points of the year but it was one of my best rounds considering the course. The back nine is especially awesome.

I have got down to a (Golfshake) handicap of 12 this year but the only course I've repeat played is Royal St George's. If I'd settled on one local course I'm confident I'd have gotten to single figures, I've broken 80 a couple of times at new courses.

Exploring and really discovering links and heathland golf’s made it by far the most fun (and expensive) year of golf I’ve had. This time last year I think I’d only played 18 different 18 hole courses, I’m now on 56. St George’s, North Berwick, Cinque Ports, Woking, Walton & Knole Park have been my favourites, I played Royal Porthcawl too but got totally beaten up by the weather. I didn’t break 100!

Sillybilly, I still haven’t played Dartford but for a couple of months I’ve had bursitis so in between credit card binges I’ve been resting my elbow rather than playing locally. I’m still keen to play though, if you’re much of a winter golfer.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Hi @RedPanda.  Yep, a game at Dartford is definitely on. Sorry I’ve not been in touch.  Unfortunately, like you I’ve been in the wars and I’m out of action for a few months (I had a bad fall and have torn my rotator cuff). I’ll be having an operation soon and I’m told the recovery is a few months so I won’t be golfing until the springtime. I suppose if your going to do something like that it’s as well to do it in the autumn!!!  At least I did it the week after our golf trip to Turkey rather than before!!  (Turkey was excellent btw. I’d recommend it if you get the chance). Dartford is suffering at the moment as we always do from prolonged heavy leaf fall. Green keepers working full on just to clear them up and conditions are very muddy underfoot.  Let’s keep in touch and get a game organised when I’m back in action and the course has recovered. Any others on here who want to come would be most welcome. 
  • Options
    Hi @RedPanda.  Yep, a game at Dartford is definitely on. Sorry I’ve not been in touch.  Unfortunately, like you I’ve been in the wars and I’m out of action for a few months (I had a bad fall and have torn my rotator cuff). I’ll be having an operation soon and I’m told the recovery is a few months so I won’t be golfing until the springtime. I suppose if your going to do something like that it’s as well to do it in the autumn!!!  At least I did it the week after our golf trip to Turkey rather than before!!  (Turkey was excellent btw. I’d recommend it if you get the chance). Dartford is suffering at the moment as we always do from prolonged heavy leaf fall. Green keepers working full on just to clear them up and conditions are very muddy underfoot.  Let’s keep in touch and get a game organised when I’m back in action and the course has recovered. Any others on here who want to come would be most welcome. 
    I’d be up for joining you chaps for a game. My most local course yet only ever played it once. Instead I drive half an hour to Redlibbits twice a week 
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Sorry to hear that, that sounds a LOT nastier than my little injury. I hope the operation and recovery go well!
  • Options
    Cheers @RedPanda. I think it’s a fairly common procedure. A few of the Lads at the club have had it done.  @Taxi_Lad it would be great to have you along. I’ll sort something when I’m up and running. If your close to Dartford you might want to consider joining if you’re going to play twice a week. It’s a good club. We’re just about to revamp the clubhouse. Feel free to come along for a chat/beer etc. I’ve only got one knackered shoulder. I can still lift a pint with the other!!
  • Options
    Thanks @Sillybilly. Keep me posted. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 
    I’m a member at Redlibbits which is a great course and offers year round play so no plans to leave anytime soon but my memory of my only round at Dartford is a fond one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Rory was a chopper 1st 4 holes tonight...

Bogey
    Bogey
    Par
    Bogey

since then... birdie, eagle, par, birdie, birdie

2nd at the moment , two behind, back nine to come.

World number 1 if he wins
  • Options
    3 behind now
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I scored 37 at Walton Heath Old on Monday, not my best points of the year but it was one of my best rounds considering the course. The back nine is especially awesome.

I have got down to a (Golfshake) handicap of 12 this year but the only course I've repeat played is Royal St George's. If I'd settled on one local course I'm confident I'd have gotten to single figures, I've broken 80 a couple of times at new courses.

Exploring and really discovering links and heathland golf’s made it by far the most fun (and expensive) year of golf I’ve had. This time last year I think I’d only played 18 different 18 hole courses, I’m now on 56. St George’s, North Berwick, Cinque Ports, Woking, Walton & Knole Park have been my favourites, I played Royal Porthcawl too but got totally beaten up by the weather. I didn’t break 100!

Sillybilly, I still haven’t played Dartford but for a couple of months I’ve had bursitis so in between credit card binges I’ve been resting my elbow rather than playing locally. I’m still keen to play though, if you’re much of a winter golfer.

Some great courses on that list @RedPanda. Royal Porthcawl is one of my favourites & like you I prefer heathland & links courses over all others.....new style Americam ones with huge lakes & bunkers are the worst.

I've lost count of the number if courses I've played but I reckon it must be over 200. Some of the best (and value for money) are in Wales & Scotland .....such a shame that around Kent & Essex there are very few decent ones under £30 a round.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Some great courses on that list @RedPanda. Royal Porthcawl is one of my favourites & like you I prefer heathland & links courses over all others.....new style Americam ones with huge lakes & bunkers are the worst.

I've lost count of the number if courses I've played but I reckon it must be over 200. Some of the best (and value for money) are in Wales & Scotland .....such a shame that around Kent & Essex there are very few decent ones under £30 a round.

200's really impressive, what are your favourites? Swinley Forest is my next big one, have you played there?

I know what you mean but those layouts have a time & place. I'm still a sucker for gimmicks like water carries & island greens, occasionally anyway.

• Options
    Playing East Sussex National in a few weeks, not picked up a club for about 2 years now - not sure how the frozen shoulder will hold out either, had a steroid injection just before xmas and it feels ok now.
  • Options
    Looking to rehome my Ping G15 woods/irons, powakaddy. 
    Pm if anyone is interested 
  • Options
    43pts firmly in bandit territory 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Had to do this.  New irons, three lessons, a swing thought clicking..... 

Shot a 72 today.  +2. Best. Round. Ever.

Today I am playing in a team comp.  I guarantee I'll be crap!
    Great round @supaclive, not a double or a 6 in sight either. I hope you submitted your card !!!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Holidaying in Norfolk and playing Hunstanton on Tuesday.

28 handicapper playing a tricky links course in potentially 40 mph winds. 

Oh good!