Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• cafcpolo said:

Drove a 325 yard par 4 the other day - just on the fringe on the right side of the green.

Walked off with a 5.

Golf.

You need to practice your short game mate. It's all good being Billy bigbollox on the driving range & hitting ball after ball past the 300 yeards marker but you only use your driver 12/14 times a round.......you use your wedge more ofren than that.

I am.shit off the tee.....hardly go past 200 yards but often get up & down from 50 yards out
    Oh really? Thanks for your help sherlock! :-)

In all seriousness you are completely correct. I could play off 5 from the tee to 50 yards out!!! The last 50 yards leave me being the 20 I am. Absolutely shocking - thin/fat wedges galore.
    Chuck the wedges. 50 yards out, nothing but fairway in between you and the pin, just putt it or use a 7 iron :wink:
    Mate I once played with started doing this. Lost all.confidence with his wedge (when once before he was darn good with it) & at one point started using his putter from almost 100 yards out. He gave up the game not long after moaning he wasn't enjoying it anymore & not getting any better.
  • Without trying to be too technical as a 20 handicapper, I'm living in Florida until late Feb. The grass here from 50 yards out is very different. The ball sits up very high, so the clubs I use in England do not work.

In England I'm used to launching a 60 degree 4 miles in the air hoping to land it somewhere close, however out here it's easy to go completely under the ball or thin it through the green.

Just started to learn the benefits of a bump and run. Alien to me prior!

My Grandad taught me that (I'm staying at his house out here) and he remains the only person I know who can shoot under his age. He's 84 and shot 80 4 days ago... PRICK!!! :-)

I've played a couple of times out in Spain (Majorca mostly) and hated the grass out there. It was like playing on really bad artificial grass. Is it due to wear & tear that they use that stuff or just what grows locally ??
  • edited January 2019

Without trying to be too technical as a 20 handicapper, I'm living in Florida until late Feb. The grass here from 50 yards out is very different. The ball sits up very high, so the clubs I use in England do not work.

In England I'm used to launching a 60 degree 4 miles in the air hoping to land it somewhere close, however out here it's easy to go completely under the ball or thin it through the green.

My Grandad taught me that (I'm staying at his house out here) and he remains the only person I know who can shoot under his age. He's 84 and shot 80 4 days ago... PRICK!!! :-)

I've played a couple of times out in Spain (Majorca mostly) and hated the grass out there. It was like playing on really bad artificial grass. Is it due to wear & tear that they use that stuff or just what grows locally ??
    It's not quite that grass with the thick blades that you get out there. It's just very spongy with soft ground underneath.

34 points today.

Saved by getting a birdie on stroke index 1 for 5 points! Ironically, stiffed a wedge from about 50 yards!
  • Without trying to be too technical as a 20 handicapper, I'm living in Florida until late Feb. The grass here from 50 yards out is very different. The ball sits up very high, so the clubs I use in England do not work.

It's quite that grass with the thick blades that you get out there. It's just very spongy with soft ground underneath.

34 points today.

Saved by getting a birdie on stroke index 1 for 5 points! Ironically, stiffed a wedge from about 50 yards!
    Bandit
  • Zzzzz

What course/tees was your last 7 hole disaster on?
  • International/ whites
  • Total capitulation
  • Annoyed I didn't get to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hahahahaha. Can picture that so vividly!

Shame it didn't happen on the Heritage infront of the club house!
  • Joe, u had to be there!!!
    If there was a lake there and her clubs went in she wouldn’t have done anything other than walk into the bunker.

Like she was going to play a good shot!
  • BR3red said:

Anyway whilst getting 6 points in 7 holes....

One of the funniest things I have seen whilst I was on the 18th...

Playing with my wife, on the 18th

Par 5 she hit 3 great shots near green put it straight into a bunker. Expletives..

Turned round and not sure what happened but...

The powerkaddy was going down the hill upside down with my wife trying to follow, I pissed myself laughing. She tried to turn it off to no avail with clubs falling out hahaha

It then turned around, she gave up and went back to the bunker whilst the trolley and clubs were falling out and promptly played her shot (badly) calling the trolley a c@nt!!!

I was on the floor!!

She has just read all this and hates me even more!!!!!!!

You sound like a right pair. I'm sure the members who pay thousands a year were delighted.
  • BR3red said:

Par 5 she hit 3 great shots near green put it straight into a bunker. Expletives..

The powerkaddy was going down the hill upside down with my wife trying to follow, I pissed myself laughing. She tried to turn it off to no avail with clubs falling out hahaha

It then turned around, she gave up and went back to the bunker whilst the trolley and clubs were falling out and promptly played her shot (badly) calling the trolley a c@nt!!!

I was on the floor!!

You sound like a right pair. I'm sure the members who pay thousands a year were delighted.
    What the fuck
  • been trying some vids out for chipping this one i have been doing 2 times a week down the range and am starting to see improvements

https://youtu.be/bk61lQqPzn4
  • I see Woodlands Manor is the latest club to go down the tubes. Great shame as it’s a lovely track but has fallen on hard times in recent years and had a few ultimately unsuccessful attempts at ownership. I was a member there for a few years in the early 90s. Add that to Broke Hill, Austin Lodge and rumours that Pedham Place is to become a housing estate/new town and the opportunities to play locally are getting fewer. Sign o the times unfortunately.
  • @Sillybilly It has actually closed!? I played there 3 weeks ago and there was no mention of closure, when I booked they even said they were fitting a new pro shop. The same person did book the totally wrong time for me, though.

That is or would be a big shame. For its price range it’s got possibly the best 9 holes in the area, certainly the most scenic and secluded (after Austin Lodge went).
  • after this year am looking to become a member the pay and play courses are good and cheap but get pricks sharing bags etc, attempted to play 9 holes at barnehurst over xmas just to get out of the house and was like a cabbage patch
  • @RedPanda I heard it from a friend today who forwarded me a message he had received from a staff member who had apparently been summoned to a meeting with the GM to be told the club is closing with effect from today and the staff made redundant.
  • I see Woodlands Manor is the latest club to go down the tubes. Great shame as it’s a lovely track but has fallen on hard times in recent years and had a few ultimately unsuccessful attempts at ownership. I was a member there for a few years in the early 90s. Add that to Broke Hill, Austin Lodge and rumours that Pedham Place is to become a housing estate/new town and the opportunities to play locally are getting fewer. Sign o the times unfortunately.

Depends on how far you want to travel I suppose. In the near vicinity there is still Ruxley & Cray Valley, Chelsfield Lakes, Birchwood and Shoreham if you want a pay & play type course. Then there is Dartford, Wrotham Heath and the 2 courses at West Malling.......not forgetting Kings Hill. I've not played Southern Valley for a while & then there is Mid Kent in Gravesend too. Knole Park is decent too but is restricted I believe to weekdays for non-members & also Wilderness in that area also.

If you want to go slightly futher afield then there are almost a dozen courses just south of Croydon including Shirley Hills, Addington Palace, Addington Court, Selsdon Park and my favourite Croham Hurst. Then there nr Biggin Hill there is Cherry Lodge, Mid-Kent & High Elms.

not a bad choice for a pretty urban area.

saying that my favourites are in Surrey & Sussex, and well as in N & W Wales.
  • Sponsored links:

Used to be a member at woodlands.
    Loved the course apart from a few bland holes on the top nine. Real shame if it’s gone.
    Trying to tell guests the line over the trees off the 7th tee was hard work as was the ‘house on the hill’ line on the 1st.
    The eiger can fuck off though.
  • Yep @golfaddick , still a lot of choice around depending what you’re looking for but there’s no doubt that the pressure is on, particularly for private member’s clubs. I’m at Dartford and we are doing ok whilst remaining aware that it’s a year on year struggle to recruit and retain members. The demographic of our members has changed considerably in recent years and we are particularly struggling to recruit ladies. Our junior section is relatively healthy but we are bucking the general trend there and remain well aware that we are the metaphorical “harsh winter” or economic downturn away from much harder times. Drink driving has undoubtedly had a big impact, particularly for places like Woodlands Manor which is in the middle of nowhere but there seems to be a general trend away from private membership (for a whole number of well documented reasons).
  • Redlibbets is local and decent.

I'd try Dartford but for its lay out the price always puts me off - at weekends it's currently the same price as Chart Hills (£45). I'm sure it's very well kept but can they really justify charging more than Hever Castle, Nizels, etc?
  • edited January 2019
    RedPanda said:

Redlibbets is local and decent.

I'd try Dartford but for its lay out the price always puts me off - at weekends it's currently the same price as Chart Hills (£45). I'm sure it's very well kept but can they really justify charging more than Hever Castle, Nizels, etc?

It depends what you’re after I guess. Dartford is a private member’s club that does not operate tee times. As such, at weekends the members must take priority and, frankly, roll up green fees are not encouraged and are priced accordingly. If I lived locally and wanted a one off game at the weekend and had fifty quid burning a hole in my pocket, it wouldn’t occur to me to go to Dartford given some of the excellent alternatives within a half hour radius. But that’s not the market Dartford is in. I pay a premium via my membership amongst other things for the convenience of turning up when I feel like it at weekends and playing with my friends without some of the hassles that pay and play can sometimes offer, especially in terms of slow play and etiquette. The last time I played on a pay and play course locally (lullingstone) I walked off after it took nearly four hours to play 11 holes. During the week at Dartford if you time it right it is like millionaires golf (for green fees too and there are generally good twilight and other deals to be had in the summer). I’m sorry if that all sounds a bit analy retentive and old school. We are gradually moving away from the days when the club had gun turrets on the gates and it is much more welcoming these days to new members and midweek visitors.

As to the direct question about whether the course is worth the money, as a single figure handicapper I readily admit that if all things were equal I’d rather play Nizels and the like because they are a better test of my game (subject to the concerns above) but for my regular weekly golf with my chums and a few beers I’m really happy at Dartford. The course is shortish but a nevertheless good test and is generally in good nick. The main factor for me is that Dartford is the finest golf course within a mile of my house so the fact that I can walk there means that it is pretty automatically at the top of my list. If I had to drive 20 minutes or so for my golf every time and the private member’s thing wasn’t important for me then there would be plenty of other possibilities as you say. But I’m happy to compromise a bit on the quality of the course and facilities for the other benefits it gives me.
  • Played Dartford as a guest of my brother in law over Xmas....quite enjoyed it!

Good nick for the time of year too
  • BR3red said:

I was on the floor!!

We are members and have been for over 10 years.

Know lots of other members up there. All would have found it funny.

The thing about the LGC, unusuallly for most members Golf Clubs is they are very relaxed, and all the better for it.

No pettiness, no snobbery, no draconian “old school “ rules. It is refreshing.

Members are chilled and go there to have a good time, good food, great facilities and a laugh on 2 amazing courses.

I think the main point is (possibly unlike your good self), whatever your wealth or background that the members do not judge anybody........

• Ricky Fowler just lost a 5 shot lead in 2 holes.

Should be on this thread !
  • BR3red said:

Ricky Fowler just lost a 5 shot lead in 2 holes.

Should be on this thread !

And still went on to win......good on'ya Ricky.
  • edited February 2019
    Is it just me or does anyone else not like the new rules 're keeping the flag in when putting. I know you have the choice but just seem wierd to me, esp when a lot of pros used to have it taken out when chipping from the fringe.....but kniw lots if them are keeping it in, even with very short putts. I saw Adam Scott miss a 2 footer last week & I'm sure it's becsuse his unconscious mind was telling him not to hit the flag. Must be hard, if for 30 years you been told it's a penalty if you do. I wonder if any have spoken to their "mind coaches" about it....

For me I always have it left in when off the green & will still have it taken out when putting. Only caveat to that is when playing on my own & can't be arsed to walk 20 yards up the green to take it out.
  • Of the new rules it's not the worst. Leaving it in is subjective, I think I'll be doing so all the time.

Rich Beem said having a smaller focal point might help some players from short range. I heard Rory said it makes the hole seem smaller. It is an unnecessary change though, we're going to have scenarios where it's flag out, flag in, flag out, flag in.

The knee drop is also dumb I think, though mostly because it looks silly. I also don't believe it's clear what you can and can't do in these new 'penalty areas' as opposed to hazards.

Hosung Choi is making his PGA Tour debut this week.