Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• My second ever round of golf was at Lullingstone. Found a bloke dead in a bunker at the 13th.
  • My second ever round of golf was at Lullingstone. Found a bloke dead in a bunker at the 13th.

He probably died of boredom. Seven hour rounds are not uncommon at lullingstone. Not played it in over a decade. Last time I waked off after ten holes as we entered our fourth hour on the course.

He probably died of boredom. Seven hour rounds are not uncommon at lullingstone. Not played it in over a decade. Last time I waked off after ten holes as we entered our fourth hour on the course.
    I hate the 3 or 4 holes on the front nine that are built on the side of the hill. Always have uphill or downhill lies & doesn't make for interesting play.

I hate the 3 or 4 holes on the front nine that are built on the side of the hill. Always have uphill or downhill lies & doesn't make for interesting play.
    Haven't play Lullingstone in 20 years - the thing I hated more than anything was the damage done to clubs because of all the fecking flint on the fairways!
  • I'm rubbish but once had a hole in one on a par 4, the 5th (I think) at Addington.
  • I remember having worse than normal shite round at Ruxley bottom course, about 12 hole, hadn't hit a decent tee shot all day, then pow, launched one, felt great and then looked up and it hit a seagull square on the head and went about 130yds.

A real Hamlet moment for me and the Seagull

It did get up and fly away although very groggily

Best round at Ruxley was when I found £20 on the 18th fairway.......
    Can I have it back ? If it's got a picture of the Queen on the front, it's definitely mine.
  • Most embarrassing, teeing off at Beckenham with about 40 people queueing behind me waiting(it was the days before tee times at Beckenham). I hit what I thought was a low stinger, in other words I topped the hell out of it, it crashed into the tee marker about 10 yards in front of me and ricocheted back over my head and landed somewhere beyond the 40 bewildered chuckling queue. I walked off rapidly down the fairway not daring to look back and dropped a ball about 100 yards away from the tee.
  • Most embarrassing, teeing off at Beckenham with about 40 people queueing behind me waiting(it was the days before tee times at Beckenham). I hit what I thought was a low stinger, in other words I topped the hell out of it, it crashed into the tee marker about 10 yards in front of me and ricocheted back over my head and landed somewhere beyond the 40 bewildered chuckling queue. I walked off rapidly down the fairway not daring to look back and dropped a ball about 100 yards away from the tee.

I expect the next shot was your 2nd or did you play to the rules of golf & played it as your 4th
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

Most embarrassing, teeing off at Beckenham with about 40 people queueing behind me waiting(it was the days before tee times at Beckenham). I hit what I thought was a low stinger, in other words I topped the hell out of it, it crashed into the tee marker about 10 yards in front of me and ricocheted back over my head and landed somewhere beyond the 40 bewildered chuckling queue. I walked off rapidly down the fairway not daring to look back and dropped a ball about 100 yards away from the tee.

I expect the next shot was your 2nd or did you play to the rules of golf & played it as your 4th
    That's not within the rules either! The original ball went backwards and you either play it from where it lies (if in bounds) or drop under penalty if in a hazard. You can choose to abandon the first ball of course and play your third shot from the tee (not a provisional!).

What you cannot do is wander 100 yards down the fairway and drop a ball at a point where you know you didn't hit your first ball! Stroke and distance applies (to speed up play in a friendly game) where you drop your ball near to the point down the fairway where your original ball was 'lost'.
  • bobmunro said:

Most embarrassing, teeing off at Beckenham with about 40 people queueing behind me waiting(it was the days before tee times at Beckenham). I hit what I thought was a low stinger, in other words I topped the hell out of it, it crashed into the tee marker about 10 yards in front of me and ricocheted back over my head and landed somewhere beyond the 40 bewildered chuckling queue. I walked off rapidly down the fairway not daring to look back and dropped a ball about 100 yards away from the tee.

That's not within the rules either! The original ball went backwards and you either play it from where it lies (if in bounds) or drop under penalty if in a hazard. You can choose to abandon the first ball of course and play your third shot from the tee (not a provisional!).

What you cannot do is wander 100 yards down the fairway and drop a ball at a point where you know you didn't hit your first ball! Stroke and distance applies (to speed up play in a friendly game) where you drop your ball near to the point down the fairway where your original ball was 'lost'.
    Beckenham golf course closed 2 years ago unfortunately (it is 1/2 mile from me)

Was the 1st public course in England (1908)

Lewisham Council Got a 5 million pound grant from the Lottery for "re- development" - slash now a paradise for dog walkers. Real shame - never been back there and had fond memories including my 1st ever hole in one!!

Out of 2.....!
  • BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

Lewisham Council Got a 5 million pound grant from the Lottery for "re- development" - slash now a paradise for dog walkers. Real shame - never been back there and had fond memories including my 1st ever hole in one!!

Out of 2.....!
    Happy memories for me too. First course I ever played (like a lot of people in south London) - that was back in the 70s when to play on a Sunday morning you had to drive over there and park up in line when it was dark and the green keeper would come out at first light to give you a starting number! Busiest golf course in Europe back then. I last played it over 40 years ago!

Some quite tough holes - the first wasn’t easy and I clearly remember the 16th where your playing partner had to climb the viewing tower to spot the ball landing on the fairway. Tough second to an elevated green with two big spectacle bunkers in the front.

Happy days!

• edited July 2018
    bobmunro said:

I know that !!!!

I was suggesting that seeing as he had already just dropped it 100 yards down the fairway the "proper" thing to do would be to class the next shot as the 4th, ie stroke & distance having already been taken. Obviously the proper thing to have done is to have played the first shot as it lays, ie walked back to where it was (passing the queue of waiting golfers) or to have hit another one off the tee, playing at his 3rd shot, claiming the first as lost.

As I originally stated, I expect he did neither & simply claimed the next shot as his 2nd. I've seen this countless of times (people losing a ball/hitting it OOB/into a bush etc and simply plying the next shot without any penalty.

No wonder people get 38 points in comps !!!

As for Beckenham.. I've played it a couple of times.. Once in thunderstom with lightening all around & another time when I finished 10,10,6.
  • bobmunro said:

BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

Out of 2.....!
    Happy memories for me too. First course I ever played (like a lot of people in south London) - that was back in the 70s when to play on a Sunday morning you had to drive over there and park up in line when it was dark and the green keeper would come out at first light to give you a starting number! Busiest golf course in Europe back then. I last played it over 40 years ago!

Some quite tough holes - the first wasn’t easy and I clearly remember the 16th where your playing partner had to climb the viewing tower to spot the ball landing on the fairway. Tough second to an elevated green with two big spectacle bunkers in the front.

Happy days!

Imo travesty that it got shut down.

Petition against was 10's of thousands including a certain Nick Faldo.

16th was a great hole.

I holed in one at the short 3rd- badly thinned a wedge.

Spent 5 minutes looking for the ball as it was all uphill.

Someone decided to look in the hole ....

Not the most fist pumping hole in 1 ever seen !!
  • BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

Out of 2.....!

Happy days!

16th was a great hole.

The only time I played Beckenham Place Park I socred 72.

for the first nine holes.
  • edited July 2018

I'm rubbish but once had a hole in one on a par 4, the 5th (I think) at Addington.

@LawrieAbrahams

I doubt it. It's 435 yards dog leg left hole mate. I don't think it's The Addington you got a hole in one on at a par 4, maybe Addington Court???
  • Yes it might be Addington Court. There are trees to the right and you can't see the green from the tee.
  • You said you're not very good but you've had a hole in one on a par 4 ?!
  • Yes. I don't play now. I think I had a decent swing but my putting was atrocious and couldn't get out of bunkers properly. I just creamed this drive and it went as straight as an arrow. I was looking for my ball on the fairway and the group on the green waved and pointed at the hole.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

You said you're not very good but you've had a hole in one on a par 4 ?!

I had a decent swing but couldn't putt. This one just went like an arrow. I was looking for the ball when the group in front waved and pointed at the hole.
  • So...

Duffed an 8 iron straight onto the ladies Tee to lots of abuse.

Wedge went straight in...

Birdie - simples

Ps. Puns everywhere ....!
  • Oliver Fisher fluked a 59 today at the Portugal Masters.

Must have been disappointed to only get 10 birdies and an eagle.
  • I was a crap golfer not even a handicap but about 10 years ago from a par 3 elevated tee I watch the ball bounce on the edge of the green and roll in the hole -hole in one, I’m still a crap golfer
  • Macronate said:

Oliver Fisher fluked a 59 today at the Portugal Masters.

Played it over 10 times. They obviously play off back tees which are way behind where I play. It’s Crazy hard for me. Very long, water everywhere, sloping greens....

You tell me how some 30 year old from Essex does that ???

1st time ever been achieved by anybody under 60 on PGA Tour

10 BIRDIES?? And an Eagle.

And lipped out on 18...

No idea - Fair play !!!!!
  • BR3red said:

Macronate said:

Oliver Fisher fluked a 59 today at the Portugal Masters.

Played it over 10 times. They obviously play off back tees which are way behind where I play. It’s Crazy hard for me. Very long, water everywhere, sloping greens....

You tell me how some 30 year old from Essex does that ???

1st time ever been achieved by anybody under 60 on PGA Tour

10 BIRDIES?? And an Eagle.

And lipped out on 18...

No idea - Fair play !!!!!
    Ps. Not played the Portugal Masters 10 times - the Victoria Golf Course!!
  • I remember having worse than normal shite round at Ruxley bottom course, about 12 hole, hadn't hit a decent tee shot all day, then pow, launched one, felt great and then looked up and it hit a seagull square on the head and went about 130yds.

A real Hamlet moment for me and the Seagull

It did get up and fly away although very groggily

Best round at Ruxley was when I found £20 on the 18th fairway.......
    Can you remember the exact time and date.......think very carefully before answering.
  • My first round of golf was at beckenham place park aged 14 in 1971 142 ...best there was 78 2 years later ..the place holds such memories though ...I would walk ,carrying a half set,from hither green, sometimes starting off in the dark to bpp play 2 rounds and walk back again sometimes with a break on the way home to play 5 a side football in forsters park...

Now I wouldn't consider playing 18 holes without a trolley let alone anything else

• BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

BR3red said:

bobmunro said:

Out of 2.....!

Happy days!

16th was a great hole.

The hole you refer to is the 4th ...but there were some lovely holes on that course used to like the 8th meself