Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THIERRY HENRY LEAVES SKYSPORTS

Comments

• Options
    I disagree think 2 are risks.

Lampard IMO will struggle at Derby
    Henry IMO will struggle at Villa

Stevie G however has taken a safer option, get the experience in the pub league of the SPL and then come to England.

However WTF does everything have to be considered Racist in this day an age,there are plenty of times White managers have taken over at clubs and its been a risk.
  • Options
    I think Lampard will do a good job at Derby. Mount and Wilson are two good loan signings and Jozefzoon has form in the division. If they sign Waghorn then they will have a proven goalscorer.
  • Options
    Sol must be nailed on for the assistant manager role at Villa surely?
  • Options
    Gerrard has been called a massive risk if you read about what half of scotlands football journalists say
  • Options

I think Lampard will do a good job at Derby. Mount and Wilson are two good loan signings and Jozefzoon has form in the division. If they sign Waghorn then they will have a proven goalscorer.

Dunno... £8m for Waghorn is a lot of money I think when there are surely better Strikers out there (e.g. Jack Marriott)

Prior to last season he's only hit more than 10-goals once in English Football nearly eight years ago
  • Options

Dunno... £8m for Waghorn is a lot of money I think when there are surely better Strikers out there (e.g. Jack Marriott)

Prior to last season he's only hit more than 10-goals once in English Football nearly eight years ago
    28 he's now in prime age for a centre forward. He got 16 goals last season for a woefully uncreative Ipswich side, with a bit of service he could get 20+.
  • Options

• Options
    My villa supporting pal is pretty furious about this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Bruce will remain as Aston Villa manager after meeting the club's new owners on Wednesday.

Bruce's future had been the subject of speculation in recent days, with former Arsenal and Barcelona forward Thierry Henry reportedly lined up to replace him.

However, a statement from the club on Wednesday evening confirmed that would not be the case, and that Bruce would be the man to lead Villa into the new Championship season.
  • Options

Steve Bruce will remain as Aston Villa manager after meeting the club's new owners on Wednesday.

Bruce's future had been the subject of speculation in recent days, with former Arsenal and Barcelona forward Thierry Henry reportedly lined up to replace him.

However, a statement from the club on Wednesday evening confirmed that would not be the case, and that Bruce would be the man to lead Villa into the new Championship season.

Sacked next week then

Or as is often the way, sacked the day after the transfer window closes
  • Options

Ah, the old vote of confidence - get off to a slow start and he’ll be gone by mid-September.
  • Options
    Thierry Henry would be a massive gamble for Villa. Think Gerrard and Lampard will do very well anywhere and expect them both to be head to head as managers of Spain's top two clubs within 6 months.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Thierry Henry would be a massive gamble for Villa. Think Gerrard and Lampard will do very well anywhere and expect them both to be head to head as managers of Spain's top two clubs within 6 months.

Henry has no experience of Championship football at all - hard to think of a more stupid appointment.

As we saw last year with Cardiff there are some folks like Warnock who know how to get teams promoted to the Premier League by playing a very rigid, no risk style of play - that's not how Henry would approach it.

It ain't pretty but it's pretty effective and it's how most teams get out of what is a bloody tough league and it's hard to see him doing any better than Steve Bruce.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Henry has no experience of Championship football at all - hard to think of a more stupid appointment.

As we saw last year with Cardiff there are some folks like Warnock who know how to get teams promoted to the Premier League by playing a very rigid, no risk style of play - that's not how Henry would approach it.

It ain't pretty but it's pretty effective and it's how most teams get out of what is a bloody tough league and it's hard to see him doing any better than Steve Bruce.
    Sorry was actually waiting for Morts to reply, not you.
  • Options
    If Steve Bruce is your manager and you're in the Championship, you'd be absolutely mad to even consider getting rid of him.

He will have another promotion on his CV within the next two to three seasons, at Villa or his next club.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

it would have been madness to replace an experienced man like Bruce with a novice 'arriviste' .. mind you, owner madness is not unusual nowadays
  • Options

If Steve Bruce is your manager and you're in the Championship, you'd be absolutely mad to even consider getting rid of him.

He will have another promotion on his CV within the next two to three seasons, at Villa or his next club.

Agree that it'd be silly to get rid of him for Thierry Henry, but Bruce has already been there 2 seasons and he hasn't got them promoted.

Don't think i'd be backing them to finish above the likes of Stoke, Middlesbrough or West brom next season either.
  • Options
    What would be crazy is the fact that Aston Villa gambled on getting back into the Premier League whilst they had their parachute payments

They've now gone and arent going to be able to make a dent on the Transfer Market i.e. they've signed no one, sold two players for £13m (combined), have lost John Terry and will no doubt lose Jack Grealish... not to mention time is running out for them to make any movement on the market in the first place

To sack Bruce (who'll be able to cope on this budget) and bring in a rookie would be madness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I thought financially they were ok now they'd managed to bring new investors on board?

But as you say time is running out. They're miles behind Stoke for example who've brought in McClean, Afobe and Ince.
  • Options
    They're all a risk - Gerrard at least is in a relatively uncompetitive environment.
  • Options

I thought financially they were ok now they'd managed to bring new investors on board?

But as you say time is running out. They're miles behind Stoke for example who've brought in McClean, Afobe and Ince.

I believe they have FFP issues, rather than finance issues now that they've been 'saved'
  • Options

I believe they have FFP issues, rather than finance issues now that they've been 'saved'
    But if they have stupidly rich new investors, can't they just pay the FFP fine like Bournemouth? Hardly going to affect a billionaire too much.
  • Options

But if they have stupidly rich new investors, can't they just pay the FFP fine like Bournemouth? Hardly going to affect a billionaire too much.
    Have QPR ever paid their FFP fine, and they're IN the EFL?
  • Options
    I thought this Tony Xia who bought them a couple of years ago was a billionaire? How come the financial problems then?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I thought this Tony Xia who bought them a couple of years ago was a billionaire? How come the financial problems then?

he's a paper billionaire .. shares in the South Sea Bubble Company
  • Options
    iaitch said:

He lost interest and stopped chucking money in.
  • Options
    Let's hope these two new blokes don't have shares in the same company.
  • Options

iaitch said:

He lost interest and stopped chucking money in.
    I believe it was a change in the rules about overseas investments from China.