Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dave 21 and a thanks to the NHS staff

Comments

• Great news
  • Best wishes to @Dave2l and @SouthallAddick.Wish you both a full recovery soon.
  • Best wishes to @Dave2l and @SouthallAddick for a speedy recovery and @3blokes to keep strong.
  • Hi Jon @3blokes it's Tom

My dad told me about the news. My mum and Alice pass on their wishes to Dave and hope he is on the road to recovery. Really shocked to hear and glad he looks to have pulled through. Hope family and Jen are OK.

Tell him from me that I said Hi and to get well soon. He isn't missing much Charlton related at least...!
    I look forward to hearing the positive news that he's back at home and on the road to recovery.

Tell Dave to remember that we're the red army and we're wonnnnderrful!

T
  • edited July 2018
    Hi Jon. Sending our best wishes to Dave. Through Sophie we know his mates have been visiting him and routing for him. He watched the Sweden game at our house with the lads, he was on good form that day..Get well soon Dave.
  • Good to have you back @Dave2l
  • Pleased to see your on the mend 2 litres :smile:
  • glad you seem to be on the mend, hope your home and back down the valley soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good to hear from you Dave
  • Get well soon, Dave.
  • Great news Dave. Only just caught up with this thread. Just crawling into bed after an NHS night shift. Knowing we can make a difference to peoples lives is humbling for the staff too and it's mostly why we choose our careers. Get well soon.
  • Take care Dave.
  • Dave2l said:

I will give a mini update...as also to be frank I'm a little bit out of touch with the football side of things at the moment which is a shame, but I guess it is just life.

I've been in a rehab centre for almost 10 days now and it certainly has its ups and downs. They try and help you as much as they can and the staff are very lovely and caring people.

I do really want to get out of here and just return to my old life....but at the same time I'm being really well looked after here and I've got to appreciate it.

It's just quite a bizarely strange time for me and I've never felt so shockingly vunerable before. I'm getting better but it's still going to take more time.

My family and friends have been great and really supportive.

I have a strangely bad memory at the moment ( 28 years old) and to be honest I'm still a tiny bit scared and concerned regarding a few things about the future...but it's best not to think about it at the moment.

Only 13 out of a million people are born with the brain blood clot problem I have ...so if your going to do a bit of math (that is probably not very precise)..then that's roughly just 750 people in the UK that get this random and rather dangerous thing which usually shows itself between the age of 20-40.

My Dad came by earlier and really helped.

My memory is really bad so we kind of went a bit too far in attempting to attack that...and we read an educational book regarding the universe...but it was still really good and helpful. I actually learned and remembered some good things tonight. Things that I originally knew but forgot....and some completely knew things.

I do really want to give a shit about football again but to be completely honest, I'm not quite there yet.

This new weird life is currently the only thing on my plate at the moment...and it's a bit of a fight.

I think I'm going home in September and then I have an operation.

I'm rather used to it all now and I do actually see myself as a rather lucky c*nt :-) based on the timing...for sure. It happened just after the World Cup!

Roland....please just fuck off

Dave

You'll be fine Dave. Just take one day at a time.
  • All the best Dave, you’ll get through it
  • @Dave2l

Hi Dave good to hear from you again mate and see you on here.

Spoke to my dad today and asked about you. He said you're making some good steps forward. Keep going, stay positive and don't be too hard on yourself. You are stronger than you know.

On a positive note you're not missing much football wise!

Looking forward to catching up again in the not too distant future, hopefully at The Valley, without Roland!

All the best pal.
    T
  • Missed this thread somehow first time round. All the very best with your recovery @Dave2l and wishing much strength to all friends and family including @3blokes.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    heavenSE7 said:

@Dave2l

Hi Dave good to hear from you again mate and see you on here.

Spoke to my dad today and asked about you. He said you're making some good steps forward. Keep going, stay positive and don't be too hard on yourself. You are stronger than you know.

On a positive note you're not missing much football wise!

Looking forward to catching up again in the not too distant future, hopefully at The Valley, without Roland!

All the best pal.
    T

Thanks Tom cya down the valley
  • aliwibble said:

Dave, just a word of advice. Don't try to get your old life back, as that way frustration and disappointment are likely to lie, but instead work to build a new and hopefully better one. Work out what's important to you, and make those things your priority, and the old familiar "nice to have" stuff can wait until you're a lot better, though you may find that by that point you don't miss some of it anyway.

The good thing is you're still reasonably young, so the work to build new pathways to various memories is going to be easier than if you were twice your age, but it's still going to take a while. Be patient - even those of us who haven't had a brain injury sometimes have to go the long way round to retrieve certain bits of information, and the "it'll come to you later when you're thinking about something else entirely" thing is very common. If there are any tactics you can use to help you with recall or relearning stuff, no matter how silly they sound to other people, don't be afraid to use them. Certain smells, tunes or pictures can all be good for triggering recall, it's just a question of working out which ones will help you to do that.

Best of luck with the rehab and the op in September, and hopefully by the time you've recovered from that, the Charlton outlook will be looking a bit brighter too.

Cheers, that's solid and really helpful.
  • When I saw Dave last night he was trying to tell me what ionic bonds were.
    I thought they were a type of tea bag :neutral:
  • Very sobering read this. All the very best of luck to you Dave Two Litres, one day at a time, and if there is any way this community can be of any help to you then please say mate.
  • edited August 2018
    Just caught up with this, all the best @Dave2l @3blokes
  • Really great to hear you're recovering well @Dave2l - don't worry about remembering the last 10 or so years of Charlton related info, I wouldn't bother if I were you!

All you need to know is that we won the historic People's Cup (haha), we got promoted once (and relegated thrice), Chris Powell came and went and although Johnnie Jackson's legs are gone his heart has always remained with us.

Good luck and don't push yourself too hard, you'll get there :-)
  • Best wishes Dave, that's a great place in Gravesend, my sister spent a fair bit of time in there during her fight with MS.