Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Enderby Wharf - liner port and pollution

Given the ongoing concern over pollution it's good to see Greenwich council has finally recognised that having liners pumping out diesel fumes 24 hours a day when berthed is not a good idea.

Comments

• Options
    What are they doing?
  • Options
    I’m following this thread with a modicum of interest
  • Options
    iainment said:

What are they doing?

Greenwich council are finally pressing the developers to address the impact on air pollution having previously given planning permission with no emissions control. Seemed it was okay for ocean liners to pump out diesel fumes near schools.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The developers are not too keen on paying out for facilities, where the visiting liners turn off the diesel engines and hook up to an onshore power source. We are probably talking about a small scale power plant but expensive stuff.
    It seems that it is common practice for these ships to belch out diesel fumes all over the world when in port...
  • Options

How much value do these ships bring? Would the spend per ship be the same if they were made to stop outside the city and passengers come into London on smaller boats. Suspect it might be.

It’s not just pollution, they’re also an eyesore. There was one sat not far from the cutty sark at the weekend, unnecessary and unwanted in my opinion.
  • Options

How much value do these ships bring? Would the spend per ship be the same if they were made to stop outside the city and passengers come into London on smaller boats. Suspect it might be.

It’s not just pollution, they’re also an eyesore. There was one sat not far from the cutty sark at the weekend, unnecessary and unwanted in my opinion.

You must have good eyesight to see it from Sheffield.
    Or the ship was hoooooge
  • Options
    TfL are installing new turbines in Greenwich Power Station to provide power for the Underground. I'm sure there is a deal to be done to provide a supply at reasonable cost and at a favourable supply rate.
  • Options
    Isn’t this the new barratt development
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You must have good eyesight to see it from Sheffield.
    Or the ship was hoooooge
    Massive
  • Options
    I think they look great on the Thames. Love a cruise ship
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

TfL are installing new turbines in Greenwich Power Station to provide power for the Underground. I'm sure there is a deal to be done to provide a supply at reasonable cost and at a favourable supply rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Power_Station
  • Options

Crusty54 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Power_Station
    Wiki not up-to-date.

They are installing six turbines instead of the original pair and it will become the main source of power to the Tube.
  • Options
    I quite like the sight of them but to have the huge Diesel engines running the whole time they’re in Greenwich seems insane

Same place yeah, the ships will dock on a pier just next to the development.
  • Options
    So, inside the enlarged ULEZ then? Wonder if the esteemed Mayor has an opinion......
    Will it cost them while they are parked up?
  • Options
    I think they look great on the Thames. Love a cruise ship
    I'd imagine it to be hideous if you live near where they are parked up - not just the fumes, but the noise from the engines, the tannoy, the sudden influx of lots of extra tourists etc, which just wouldn't have been a thing when you moved in.
  • Options

It is. Brilliant M&E Consultant on that project apparently......

• Options
    The cruise terminal has been given the heave ho.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news.
  • Options
    Great news, I suspect this is what has been holding up the Aussie Bid to buy the club. They can now submit plans to build the "Fair Dinkum" Stadium for us to move into so the Valley can be sold.