Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Pratley (Page 22 - Signed for Leyton Orient)

Comments

• Options

We have little or no creativity in midfield - Pratley can't perform this role.

Agree with this, I am sure he could play a certain role and do ok. But asking him to be a bit creative and push forward is not his role.

Bowyer's game plan went out of the window yesterday and Pratley was asked to support the strikers, a role he simply can't do. Having said that, Pratley should be no more then a squad player.
    Agree with much of this.

Pratley was brought in to be the hard man in midfield, bringing experience, height, strength, strong running and ball winning - to what was often last season a pretty footballing but not physically strong enough midfield.

Are there players here with better qualities on the ball? Of course, but Pratley provides different attrubutes and another element to bring to the team.
    In that respect he's useful to have in the squad.

And again, like most players, he needs players around him that can compliment his game and their's too.
    That's how they bring the best out of each other.

A bit like Marshall, IMO he doesn't seem to have a natural place in Bowyer's current diamond formation.
    That's probably quite a big contributary factor in how people percieve his form.

• Options
    CH cover at best, but we got fuck all else so he will have my support whilst in the shirt.
    Dazzler21 said:

CH cover at best, but we got fuck all else so he will have my support whilst in the shirt.

Really? You want him as our last line of defence?
    That's not what I said at all mate, CH Cover at best, meaning that about the best we should use him for. He doesn't have the legs for CM IMO.

And, no, he wouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up for me but we got fuck all else and we ain't exactly Man City are we.
  • Options
    If Pratley is the answer then god knows what the question is.
  • Options
    I think the question would be who do you play in midfield when the only other fit midfielders are all u23
  • Options

I think the question would be who do you play in midfield when the only other fit midfielders are all u23

This.
    Our midfield cries out for experience at times and Pratley gives us that.
    Also our midfield gets bullied far too easily so Pratley helps out there.
    Would Pratley be in our 1st eleven when everyone is fit ? Of course not.
    But with the amount of players missing at the moment it is what it is.
  • Options
    You should have looked at pipping Pompey to the loan of Ben Thompson.

Granted, Kenny was in prime position but he'd have been exactly what you needed this season.
  • Options
    Pratley will be better off trying to extend his career at centre back where he done fairly well in that position a couple months back.

However, we already have too many players playing out of position, Dijksteel, Solly, Bielik etc. It would be pointless having another player out of their most natural of positions.
  • Options

You should have looked at pipping Pompey to the loan of Ben Thompson.

Granted, Kenny was in prime position but he'd have been exactly what you needed this season.

Knew a lot about his age group inside and outside of academy at the time, could have picked about 15 from the age of eleven who could have gone on to be a pro. Ben came in off the radar from Dartford and pipped a few boys who had been there or thereabouts to his pro contract at Millwall.

He was outstanding for pompey against us as I watched his individual game with a side interest.
  • Options
    Last couple of games I have watched and yesterday that I listened to, Bowyer seemed to be having oratley way further forward than I would have thought normal. I thought he was DFM or CB at a push. To see him playing top of the diamond real surprise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    He is a squad player and a trier getting games because of our injury crisis. He gives his all, let’s not make him a scape goat for that.
  • Options

Last couple of games I have watched and yesterday that I listened to, Bowyer seemed to be having oratley way further forward than I would have thought normal. I thought he was DFM or CB at a push. To see him playing top of the diamond real surprise.

That may also because Pratley often makes good forward runs off the ball ..... if our attack breaks down, another player should cover him with Pratley remaining in the more forward position, until a break in play when he drops back to his own position. It keeps the team shape.

• Options
    Of all our players this season who could be described as 'regulars' in the starting XI (starting more than half our number of league games so far) Darren Pratley has the lowest win percentage by some margin. Of the 13 league games where Pratley has started, Charlton have won only 4 - that's only 31%. We lost 6 of those 13 games (46%).

Every other Charlton player who has started 12 league games or more (Solly, Taylor, Aribo, Pearce, Grant, Steer, Bielik, Bauer, Sarr, Reeves) have win rates of 50% or more.
    The team's league win rate as a whole is 52% (13/25)
    None of those players have a defeat rate higher than 35% either. The team's defeat rate is 32% (8/25)

Aside from those on the fringes of the squad, the only other Charlton player with relatively poor win & defeat rates is Tarique Fosu.
    Charlton have won just 4 of the 10 league games which he has started (40%) and lost 4 of those 10 (40% again of course).
  • Options

Darren Pratley hopes his experience of two successful promotion campaigns will play a part in getting Charlton over the line when it comes to the play-offs.

• Options
    Was a no brainer starting him

Bloke has been involved in a Play-Off Final before and knows how to win those type of matches
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Scored the vital ET goal in second leg v Donny and was instrumental in getting us back into the game at Wembley after the howler. 

Unsung hero.
    Most definitely.  Was actually my MOTM because of both his calming influence to those around him but also his usual blood and thunder approach ruffling the black cat's feathers.  Also does a lot behind the scenes at the club apparently.

I wonder if we might see him again next year in some capacity - just noticed he has signed a 2 year deal so we will see him again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Scored the vital ET goal in second leg v Donny and was instrumental in getting us back into the game at Wembley after the howler. 

Unsung hero.
    Most definitely.  Was actually my MOTM because of both his calming influence to those around him but also his usual blood and thunder approach ruffling the black cat's feathers.  Also does a lot behind the scenes at the club apparently.

I wonder if we might see him again next year in some capacity
    He's under Contract for another year anyway
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Unsung hero.

I wonder if we might see him again next year in some capacity - just noticed he has signed a 2 year deal so we will see him again!
    When the opposition have Cattermole and Leadbitter in their midfield you have to match up with someone similar to do the dirty work. And as Solly and Pearce were on the bench, we needed that experience out there too.

I get the feeling that his fitness improved during the season too. At the start of the season he seemed half a yard off, and was getting loads of bookings for late tackles, but later in the season he seemed much more up to speed
  • Options
    Great character and got his tackles in during the play-offs.

If he's involved in any major capacity in the Championship, we are relegated. Get your coaching badges!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Great character and got his tackles in during the play-offs.

If he's involved in any major capacity in the Championship, we are relegated. Get your coaching badges!
    I would hope he doesn’t start much but decent to have round the place. Still prefer him to Lapslie. 
  • Options
    Thought it was a very good move starting with Pratley. Him and Cullen was the ones who calmed everyone down and got on the ball and got us back in the game on Sunday. 
    I didn’t. How wrong I was. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Pratley will be a huge player for us this season, he brings experience and tough work rate, it isn't his fault we currently lack invention.
    lol at this comment now.
     Lol at this comment now. 

Pratley was the difference against Doncaster, scored the goal that took us to pens and kept Sunderland at bay for large chunks of the final. 
  • Options
    So pleased Pratley proved all of us non-believers wrong in those last 2 performances. 
  • Options
    Hold my hands up, didn't want him to start. Got it wrong.
  • Options
    As I said, I didn't mind him starting. It meant that (barring Lapslie) the only substitutions we could make in midfield were attacking ones - and so it proved.