Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what hurts more - 1990 or 2018 ?

13»

Comments

• neither, if you accept we are gonna win sod all then you never get disappointed
  • neither, if you accept we are gonna win sod all then you never get disappointed

Ahhhh Golfie's world!

I felt nothing this year, my football mojo has been kicked mercilessly by the whole Charlton thing, that I have no interest whatsoever.

In fact it was quite strange to see myself sitting there amongst people going apeshit and not getting the slightest bit into any of the games. Last night I found myself wanting Croatia to put us out of our misery ASAP, as it was obvious England had lost the plot... "pass sideways, pass sideways, pass back...KICK IT KEEPER as far as you can!!!!!"

I felt nothing this year, my football mojo has been kicked mercilessly by the whole Charlton thing, that I have no interest whatsoever.

In fact it was quite strange to see myself sitting there amongst people going apeshit and not getting the slightest bit into any of the games. Last night I found myself wanting Croatia to put us out of our misery ASAP, as it was obvious England had lost the plot... "pass sideways, pass sideways, pass back...KICK IT KEEPER as far as you can!!!!!"

I fear I'm similar to you . This might sound ridiculous to some but I was ridiculously worked by by Kent's semi final win at Worcestershire last month ; last night, I really couldn't find the excitement. Football has lost its magic for me, although I really enjoyed the tail end of last season under LB
  • 1990. Last night was disappointing, but it didn't feel like the bottom dropped out of my world as it did in 1990 and indeed 1996. I think some of it is because I feel quite positive about the future and feel that we can do much better but I think it's also because we didn't lose on penalties, and to Germany. Penalty shoot-outs bring out the drama more I think and when Germany is involved there always seems to be more of an edge to it all. At least, it did back then, it's been a while since we were knocked out by the Germans.

• Pedro45 said:

1990 we had a very good team; proven winners, a great goalscorer, play maker, goalie, fantastic defence, terrific exciting wingers.

Lineker vs Kane
    Gascoigne vs Henderson
    Shilton vs Pickford
    Walker/Butcher/Wright vs Walker/Stones/Maguire
    Waddle and Anderton vs Sterling and Lingard

It was a much better team (you would pick the 1990 version as better in every case above!), and the expectation was therefore high. To lose as we did on penalties was horrible.

This year, we are a young side, with lots of potential, who exceeded expectation. OK, they played poorly for the last 3/4's of the game, but let's not knock them just yet. They did us proud! Shout it loud!

I do agree 100% but Anderton wasn't there in 90
  • edited July 2018
    We have to be happy in that a semi final exceeded our pre-season expectations. But I was expecting Germany or Brazil in the quarters. The system we set up with was refreshing and surprising, but it was ultimately more effective on the front foot than the back. I sort of expected to go out to Germany in 1990, I still don't think we should have gone out to Croatia. !990 edges it for disapointment though, because I think we would have won the final if we reached it, but I didn't think we would here.
  • The moment the game was lost was the Kane chance - I keep reliving it in my head. I know it was flagged for offside but VAR would have overuled that. The keeper did well, but sometimes success or failure comes down to a bit of luck or lack of it. I suppose now hurts more beacause it is fresh but Italia 90 hurt more at the time for sure.
  • 90 definitely hurt more for me in the same way most have already explained here. The fact I was on holiday in Corfu surrounded by crowing Germans didn’t help either!
  • This one hurt more. Expected us to lose to Germany in 90 but thought we would beat Croatia. The Kane chance was the pivotal point and had that gone in we would have won
  • Sponsored links:

• The moment the game was lost was the Kane chance - I keep reliving it in my head. I know it was flagged for offside but VAR would have overuled that. The keeper did well, but sometimes success or failure comes down to a bit of luck or lack of it. I suppose now hurts more beacause it is fresh but Italia 90 hurt more at the time for sure.

It wasn’t flagged for offside - it was flagged for the ball going out after keeper saved it.

Sorry - probably makes you feel ever worse now!
  • 1990. We were the best team in the tournament and outplayed the second best team only to get beat on pens. This year we are a good team but if being honest there are some teams just that bit better. Croatia deserved it last night. West bloody Germany didn't!!! Yes it still hurts!
  • 1990. We were the best team in the tournament and outplayed the second best team only to get beat on pens. This year we are a good team but if being honest there are some teams just that bit better. Croatia deserved it last night. West bloody Germany didn't!!! Yes it still hurts!

yeah the way we drew 1-1 with Rep Ireland, 0-0 with Holland and beat Egypt 1-0 via a deflected header, followed by our storming 119th minute winner v Belgium who twice hit the post and our two penalty extra time victory over the mighty Cameroon, certainly backs up the theory we were the best team in that tournament.

It wasn’t flagged for offside - it was flagged for the ball going out after keeper saved it.

Sorry - probably makes you feel ever worse now!
    In my opinion he had to square to sterling who held his run to stay behind Kane very well.

Won't knock him for it though as the bollox he showed taking his penalties was immense.
  • 1990 we had a good team and were unlucky against WG , this year we played two good teams and lost both games. Did well to get to the semi but had a good draw
  • Wasn’t born in 1990 so this is my first experience of a World Cup semi final, gutted it ended how it did. Should have been 2/3 up at half time and then stones’ header cleared off the line at 1-1 in extra time. So so close but yet so far and fear we’ll never get a final in my time.

Never been so gutted but also proud after watching a game of football.
    However this puts the debate to bed for me, England to do well in major tournaments over Charlton success etc all day long
  • Definitely 1990. For the reasons above.

That was a talented team. As Robson said " We fancied our chances against Argentina in the final "

Croatia game hurts less because would not have beaten France in a month of Sunday's. If Pogba and Mbappe played for us, yes we would win.
  • It is a good point about Italia 90 - we got better as the tournament went on. But even against the Cameroon, we were a tad fortunate.