Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Belgian fans

2»

Comments

• What Duchâtelet ‘football is not my world’?

Well on the plus side his melexis share price plummeted from 92 some time in June to 78 now, not sure why, trade war with US and an earnings release in August 1st may be important.

Plus side, he may be feeling a bit less able to absorb stupid losses, downside, he may be spending more time working out what the fuck has gone on with what funds those losses rather than sorting out stopping the losses.
  • What Duchâtelet ‘football is not my world’?

Well on the plus side his melexis share price plummeted from 92 some time in June to 78 now, not sure why, trade war with US and an earnings release in August 1st may be important.

Plus side, he may be feeling a bit less able to absorb stupid losses, downside, he may be spending more time working out what the fuck has gone on with what funds those losses rather than sorting out stopping the losses.

Eh?
  • I've thought all through the World Cup, that I've never seen such a bunch of emotionless and a bit weird looking bunch of fans.
    Whether they won or lost there was litle emotion seen. Apologies to our Belgian posters. Does anyone agree/disagree.

Check back over my posts over the years

Belgians are a strange bunch. Often just have a look of what I can only describe as bewilderment on their faces

I've spent a lot of time on the lash in Belgium and they can be extremely unpredictable
  • Carter said:

I've thought all through the World Cup, that I've never seen such a bunch of emotionless and a bit weird looking bunch of fans.
    Whether they won or lost there was litle emotion seen. Apologies to our Belgian posters. Does anyone agree/disagree.

Check back over my posts over the years

Belgians are a strange bunch. Often just have a look of what I can only describe as bewilderment on their faces

I've spent a lot of time on the lash in Belgium and they can be extremely unpredictable
    Belgians involved in Charlton are entirely predictable....they're shit.
  • Karel Fraeye, Tin Tin, Roland Duchatelet, Rene Magritte, Katrien Meire, can you hear me? Can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating

Oi, you leave Tin Tin out of this. And Captain Haddock.

• I went to the local pub in my village to watch the game last night. Amazingly, three Belgian tourists came in and watched. They were friendly, hated the beer (Harvey’s - how can you hate Harvey’s?), talked in Flemish and one shouted ‘Holy Shit’ when France scored. They don’t rate Lukaku. They wish they had Sterling more than any other England player. One referred to RD as a crazy, who has to win every argument.
  • I met a group of Belgians in an Amsterdam bar over the weekend. They were standard liege fans - they absolutely slaughtered Roly. They were so confident of winning the World Cup.....never mind eh lads?!?
  • out of the 4 semi finalists, the 5100 conditional tickets for the final

england sold out
    france 4250
    belgium 627
    croatia 317
  • edited July 2018
    what is with the hats they wear?

I saw one which looked like they had a silver version of Q Bert strapped to their head. another that had a hat with a cow in the centre and some sort of structure surrounding it and another who had one that looked as if exploding cheese strings were firing from his skull.
  • Oggy Red said:

Karel Fraeye, Tin Tin, Roland Duchatelet, Rene Magritte, Katrien Meire, can you hear me? Can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating

Sorry but how many other famous Belgians are there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Micha Mara winner of the Eurovision song contest for Belgium

I told you all a long time ago they are an unusual nation of bewliderbeasts
  • Oggy Red said:

Karel Fraeye, Tin Tin, Roland Duchatelet, Rene Magritte, Katrien Meire, can you hear me? Can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating

Eddy Merckx was very famous when I was younger. Winner of numerous Tour De France races and now in his seventies.
  • Oggy Red said:

Eddy Merckx was very famous when I was younger. Winner of numerous Tour De France races and now in his seventies.
    I was in receipt of an Eddy Merckx bike as a kid... Orange, drop down handlebars, 5 (FIVE!!!) gears.
  • What made Eddy Merckx special was that he entered almost every race of the year . Now you see very good athletes picking one race, e.g. the Tour de France, and win it . Eddy won the Giro, the major classics in Europe and … the TDF … in one year ! Hence his nickname … the cannibal . All this and advertising for cigarettes … those times have gone :)
  • Fucked up like a South East London football club that you had a hand in?!
  • Oggy Red said:

And who could forget Eddy Wally?
  • Roland is a very poor representation of Belgian people in general.

Sounds like they are alright
  • Oggy Red said:

Plastic Bertrand
    Gerardus Mercator
    Peter Paul Rubens
    Adolphe Sax
    Georges Lemaître
    Jean Baptiste ‘Django’ Reinhardt
    Hergé
    Audrey Hepburn
    Diane von Fürstenberg.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rene Magritte
  • Oggy Red said:

Plastic Bertrand
    Gerardus Mercator
    Peter Paul Rubens
    Adolphe Sax
    Georges Lemaître
    Jean Baptiste ‘Django’ Reinhardt
    Hergé
    Audrey Hepburn
    Diane von Fürstenberg.
    I've only heard of 3 of them.
    And they are not that famous
  • I can claim six!
  • In Ypres this morning and Bruges last Tuesday. All Belgians encountered were very pleasant and clearly like us English, which is nice. I think they are just naturally quite a calm bunch on the whole, as opposed to being emotionless.
  • My own Belgian correspondent tells me they’re all really keen to finish 3rd. Strange indeed
  • edited July 2018

In Ypres this morning and Bruges last Tuesday. All Belgians encountered were very pleasant and clearly like us English, which is nice. I think they are just naturally quite a calm bunch on the whole, as opposed to being emotionless.

Lucky you. One of my favourite places on earth and visit often. Love the area, such genuine pride in their remembrance of the war and unashambed humble gratefulness towards the Allied forces (unlike, it could be argued, certain nearby neighbours). It has a special atmosphere.

On a slightly separate note. Saw stats recently that show that less than 0.5% of marriages in Belgium are between Flems and Walloons. Now for such a small country where the two communities are in such close proximity, I found those numbers astonishing especially in this day and age. I know there is a language barrier (although many Flems I've conversed with also speak French, less so the other way around).
    Pretty sure if these extreme stats were in certain other communities/cities/countries, then people would be going on about how there are clear racial divides that need to be looked into and addressed. Be interested in our Belgian friends take on this.
  • DRAddick said:

In Ypres this morning and Bruges last Tuesday. All Belgians encountered were very pleasant and clearly like us English, which is nice. I think they are just naturally quite a calm bunch on the whole, as opposed to being emotionless.

Lucky you. One of my favourite places on earth and visit often. Love the area, such genuine pride in their remembrance of the war and unashambed humble gratefulness towards the Allied forces (unlike, it could be argued, certain nearby neighbours). It has a special atmosphere.

On a slightly separate note. Saw stats recently that show that less than 0.5% of marriages in Belgium are between Flems and Walloons. Now for such a small country where the two communities are in such close proximity, I found those numbers astonishing especially in this day and age. I know there is a language barrier (although many Flems I've conversed with also speak French, less so the other way around).
    Pretty sure if these extreme stats were in certain other communities/cities/countries, then people would be going on about how there are clear racial divides that need to be looked into and addressed. Be interested in our Belgian friends take on this.
    First time I've been to Ypres. There is something extremely special about it. The Menen gate is very moving, but in a strange way there was something about it that I found really quite comforting. Think it was the way the light shines through and it is such a peaceful space.

Definitely go back in a few years.
  • They’re be dancing up the standard tonight.
  • Agree with OP. Was at the Belgium Tunisia game and before it even kicked off a lot of them were just sitting there, keeping quiet. You're watching your country in the world cup, make a bit of noise FFS.

Also encountered a monumental Belgian prick on a plane who refused to move from the incorrect seat he was in.

Boring country, boring fans, overrated beer, shit at running football clubs. Fuck off.