Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cycle commute across town, route question

13»

Comments

• @Red_in_SE8 that's my experience too when cycling in London (daily commute from Greenwich to Holborn)...other bloody cyclists..particularly on the cycle lanes where there can be room for 2 in each direction if both are experienced riders, but there's always some fucking knob head who wants to come belting past you/at you in the wrong lane... The only designated cycle lane I actually use runs over Blackfriars and then up to Farringdon and it's by far the worst part of the journey...(mainly bus lanes all the way from G/wich to Tooley St, then nice, big, wide Southwark St to B'friars bridge..)
    Is that the cycle lane at Ludgate Circus? Right outside my work, thing is an absolute death trap. 
  • Cheers Leroy and baldy.

I've already got some gatorskins on it!!

I've been looking at mudguards. There's a brand with crud in the name that rate ok. Meant to be as fiddly as f*** to fit.

My main gripe in the past was finding somewhere to park. I work shifts and could possibly get the train in as I start early but that sounds a bit of a ball ache and may well be an issue at weekends.
    I think I've found somewhere to park for free and I don't think the residents will care to much as long as I mix up my parking spots from time to time.
    Am also a bit concerned with the early part of the commute as I wouldn't pick the official highway up for about 3k. It's pathway before then and is marked as a bike lane but does look to have a few lumps and bumps. Not sure how my Allez will perform on that.
    Think I need to do a couple of dry runs on my days off to get an idea.
    Cheers
  • If you don't want punctures then it has to be Marathon Plus or Mondiales from Schwalbe.
    Nothing else approaches them for that.
  • Specialized Armadillo are my choice
  • Specialized Armadillos are my choice
    Surely that's against the law?  
  • I'm using continental gp 4 seasons, had a couple of punctures though, including on the coldest day of the year, which was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. Hands were too frozen to get my tyre back on the wheel which made it take a lot longer than it should have. 

Like the look of the new GP 5000s
  • Anyone use a hybrid?

I know some peeps say they are a bit boring but if I can get around 14mph out of it I don't think I'd be too bothered.... .Especially if there's less chance of punctures.
  • edited February 2019
    Anyone use a hybrid?

I know some peeps say they are a bit boring but if I can get around 14mph out of it I don't think I'd be too bothered.... .Especially if there's less chance of punctures.
    I got 44.1mph on my old one down the last hill to Brighton last year if that helps....
  • edited February 2019
    Anyone use a hybrid?

If you want to buy a new bike just for your commute have a look at the Specialized Langster. Single speed, quite light and not too pricey.
  • Anyone use a hybrid?

I used a hybrid, but very quickly realised I wanted a road bike. 

Personal opinion but if you are regularly doing more than 10-20 miles in a day, it would be worth getting a roadie imo. 

There's no reason why a hybrid would attract less punctures than a road bike, you can still fit some pretty hefty tyres on a road bike.

I'm new to this though, Leroy Ambrose is your guy.