Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cycle commute across town, route question

Just recently started a new job in Ladbroke Grove.

Want to cycle but unsure best quiet roads to get from Blackheath area to Westminster. Am an experienced cyle commuter just prefer to avoid the nasty stuff. Use to commute to London Bridge and through Southwark Park. Could go that way but it’s longer.

Any tips welcome please

Comments

• From experience, via Peckham, Camberwell and Vauxhall, then up toward and through Hyde Park.

Decent bus lane from New Cross to Vauxhall, where the cycle segregation is massively improved.
  • Thanks, will give a few routes a try
  • For what it's worth the tfl journey planner recommends cycling along willow walk, north of the A2 then through Borough, for both moderate and fast route suggestions, (assuming blackheath and Ladbroke grove rail stations as end points).
    scs20180709140433911Screenshot_2018-07-09-15-04-32.png
    768 x 1280 - 377K
  • just take your bike on the train mate
  • New Cross
    Old Kent Road
    Elephant
    Back of Waterloo
    Westminster Bridge
  • edited July 9
    I used to cycle to Westminster from New Eltham via Blackheath. I would go via Deptford market, through the park at New Cross, through Folkestone Gardens along the road that the New Den is in along Catlin Street croas the Old Kent Road and go to Surrey Square. On to the old Heygate estate then straight over Walworth Road. Cross the road at the cycle route along Brook Drive Come out by the Imperial War Museum. Turn right then left up to Lambeth Bridge then straight over into Westminster.
  • Is it not possible to cycle along by the river? You certainly can from Tate Modern. Then Battersea Bridge and Hyde Park.
  • I used to go through the Greenwich foot tunnel then turn left. More or less one road all the way.
  • Is it not possible to cycle along by the river? You certainly can from Tate Modern. Then Battersea Bridge and Hyde Park.

No and what there is is cobbles or full of pedestrians both of which slow you down if you ride over them..

Don't fucking do this.

Utter wankers do this at rush hour and deserve to be run over by their own bike.
  • Sponsored links:

Don't fucking do this.

Utter wankers do this at rush hour and deserve to be run over by their own bike.
    You also can't do it - non folded bikes aren't allowed on most TFL/National Rail services into/out of London between 7:30-9:30am and 4-7pm. If you do see people with bikes they'll be there when they're allowed to be, or the plonker at the gate didn't do their job of informing the passenger of this rule.

If I was avoiding large roads I'd do this:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 17.16.26.png
    1424 x 779 - 975K
  • edited July 9
    Avoid side streets like the plague. Far, far more dangerous than main roads, despite appearances. The traffic on main roads in London generally isn't going fast enough to kill you when it invariably pulls out on you without looking - avoid going up the inside of buses and lorries, keep your wits about you and make use of bus lanes wherever possible. If you choose side roads you are much more likely to get t-boned, left hooked or close passed. All this assumes you have a road bike, of course. If you don't, and have something that can withstand broken glass, flints, bits of metal and you don't mind wiping dogshit off the tyres, use river paths and cycle lanes wherever possible. At least until you get used to the roads.

And yeah - don't take your bike on the train at rush hour. That's a massive dick move in London
  • The whole idea is to ride not train.. take your point on side streets. I’m interested in new cycle lanes /routes though and in areas I’ve not cycled
  • Always wondered about this. Want to cycle from Bromley to St Paul’s, but wasn’t sure the “safest” route,..
  • If you can't take your bike on the train, why not get a bike rack & attach it to the back of your car.......

simples.