Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options

Vardy and rashford would offer their own threat but would not keep the balance of the team as we currently have it

The rest of the squad continually look to supply him and he continues to track back and offer his support in defence

There is far more to Raheem Sterling and what this team get from him

It’s written in the stars for Sterling to either score the goal that gets us to the final or in the final itself

This it's all about the system. Much like Walker playing in the back 3 - if you look at the individual in isolation you could find a better player. BUT if you put the system above the individual as Southgate has (the key to us being successful) you realise that walker in the back 3 offers something different whixh complements the players around him and makes the system work far better than others might. Its the same woth sterling up top.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

England's second goal vs Sweden. Lindgard first time ball, All's run to the far post, great header great goal.

Sterling nothing.

He's quick he has good movement, but he has no end product. No assists, no goals.

Honestly anybody that wants to lose Lingard' s work rate, goals and assists or Ali's goals and would keep Sterling in the side instead has shit in their eyes.

He was very good for City last year but at the very top level, with chances at a Premium, I fear he will let us down.

1 - sterling offered a lot more than Alli. Alli did one thing and score so gets the plaudits as johnboy said (a spurs fan)
    2 - actually wasn’t a great header at all, keeper should maybe have saved it
  • Options

supaclive said:

England's second goal vs Sweden. Lindgard first time ball, All's run to the far post, great header great goal.

Sterling nothing.

He's quick he has good movement, but he has no end product. No assists, no goals.

Honestly anybody that wants to lose Lingard' s work rate, goals and assists or Ali's goals and would keep Sterling in the side instead has shit in their eyes.

He was very good for City last year but at the very top level, with chances at a Premium, I fear he will let us down.

1 - sterling offered a lot more than Alli. Alli did one thing and score so gets the plaudits as johnboy said (a spurs fan)
    I'm not saying Ali did amazingly well but I pick him in front of Sterling every time. As does Southgate when he is fit or even half fit, remember.
  • Options

If you honestly watched that game and thought sterling offered nothing then you watched a tottaly different game to me

The only thing lacking from him in that game was a finish

He absolutely terrorized the mental well-being of the Swedish defence he was a constantly out let and threat

I’d start him tomorrow night at n a heartbeat

Be the exact same team wouldn’t change one of them

100% agree and let’s not forget although not the best side, Sweden were a tough side who had conceded 2 goals all tournament and Sterling worried the hell out of them
  • Options
    How much further in the tournament would we have got if we hadn’t played Sterling eh?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sorry, Supaclive, but are you really criticising Stirling for not being as strong in the air as the likes of Kane, Maguire and Stones? I don't think they are much good at dribbling so maybe we should drop them?
  • Options
    WSS said:

How much further in the tournament would we have got if we hadn’t played Sterling eh?

How long are you happy for an attacking midfielder to play without scoring or making an assist?

Genuine question.....

If it's until we lose so be it. I'd rather it wasn't a World Cup semi final or Final though !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

If only we had Rooney in a free role. It’s not for Big Sam to tell him where to play after all.
  • Options

One of the baffling things about this whole thing, is that when Rashford had his chance against Belgium, he came up woefully short - yet people still want him in!

Most people would identify Rashford's main weapons as his pace and running with the ball, yet he seems reluctant to use those, and seems to want to drop off and help build the play, which frankly he isn't that good at

The key thing with the Sterling, is that he is able and willing to come short, run long and when the circumstances are right have a run with the ball, so defences are never sure what is coming next.

The end result with Sterling has been disappointing at times, but you can see what he brings to the team, and as others have said before, when he has gone off, our effectiveness in 'getting out' has diminished radically.

Whilst I agree with Sterling keeping his place, you can’t judge Rashford on a single game performance alongside our ressies. Playing alongside Ali, Kane, Lingard and Henderson could bring out the Rashford we know that’s dangerous.
  • Options

One of the baffling things about this whole thing, is that when Rashford had his chance against Belgium, he came up woefully short - yet people still want him in!

Most people would identify Rashford's main weapons as his pace and running with the ball, yet he seems reluctant to use those, and seems to want to drop off and help build the play, which frankly he isn't that good at

The key thing with the Sterling, is that he is able and willing to come short, run long and when the circumstances are right have a run with the ball, so defences are never sure what is coming next.

The end result with Sterling has been disappointing at times, but you can see what he brings to the team, and as others have said before, when he has gone off, our effectiveness in 'getting out' has diminished radically.

Whilst I agree with Sterling keeping his place, you can’t judge Rashford on a single game performance alongside our ressies. Playing alongside Ali, Kane, Lingard and Henderson could bring out the Rashford we know that’s dangerous.
    I don't dislike Sterling. I think Rashford is the better choice. Personally. If you are going to play Ali then play him at number 10 and play Wilshere deeper but we can't do that!
  • Options

Vardy and rashford would offer their own threat but would not keep the balance of the team as we currently have it

The rest of the squad continually look to supply him and he continues to track back and offer his support in defence

There is far more to Raheem Sterling and what this team get from him

It’s written in the stars for Sterling to either score the goal that gets us to the final or in the final itself

I honestly don't understand how anyone can watch England and not see this.
  • Options
    Raheem Stirling is an enigma.
    I'm his biggest critic BUT his performance against Sweden was a 7 and if he had taken one of the two chances he had it would have been an 8 out of 10.
    After being on my soapbox about his limitations for the last 3 years of his international career it is crystal clear that big defenders don't like the wee man running at them.
    Raheem CAN'T replicate the goals that he scores for City because of his lack of composure near goal when playing for the national side.

The biggest miss for me is OXLADE CHAMBERLAIN who I would have played in Sterling's position and encouraged to do the power runs he does for Liverpool.
    The 3-5-2 would have become more of a
    3-3-3-1 with the Ox, Lingard and Ali playing in the 3 behind Kane.

Alas it was not meant to be.

So Gareth will start Raheem and one of these days he will score because he is good at getting into goal scoring positions and in the last 24 matches he's had between 50 and 60 chances to score !

I'm waiting and will gladly accept being called a Sterling hater (not true) if he shins one in the net on Wednesday.

Come on England.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

WSS said:

How long are you happy for an attacking midfielder to play without scoring or making an assist?

Genuine question.....

If it's until we lose so be it. I'd rather it wasn't a World Cup semi final or Final though !
    Probably because he has a basic understanding of football.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

supaclive said:

Sterling nothing.

I'm not saying Ali did amazingly well but I pick him in front of Sterling every time. As does Southgate when he is fit or even half fit, remember.
    Games I have been watching they have both been playing. Alli has scored one goal which wasn't the most difficult chance, but decent movement admittedly. Was more about the ball from Lingard, a player I couldn't believe was starting and has almost won me round.

Alli has done very little, we are in a World Cup semi-final but let's talk about dropping Sterling, a player who has scared most defences to death.
  • Options

supaclive said:

WSS said:

Genuine question.....

We're into the semi finals, there's no way Southgate is going to change anything. As i've said before i'd personally bring Rose in for Young but it's not going to happen.

It's a team game and Sterling, whilst clearly lacking confidence in front of goal is still doing his bit.

France are into the semi finals despite 0 goals and 0 assists from Giroud, but he keeps his place because of his presence and his link up play.
    True facts Chris, but Giroud keeps his place because not only is he a good link man BUT he was the second top scorer in Euro 2016 and has has 31 goals from 79 games !
    1 goal from 2.5 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will be a close one, reckon will finish 2-1. Key is to score first again, hopefully we can take the game to them early, although they might tire late on after 2 120 mins of football.

We should win this but think it will be a tough one, but i believe....
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

I think the plan was always to use Vardy as a sub against better quality opposition where there will be space in behind. The route we've taken, the only chance of that happening is potentially the final, and Vardy may not be fit enough to take on the role he was selected for.

Why? Is he refusing to train?

We should have taken Lookman... He knows how to play all across the pitch.
    Pulled his groin against Columbia, didn't feature against Sweden. Not heard anything to suggest he's returned to full fitness since Columbia.
    Heard on the radio that we have no injury worries going into the semi-final, so presumably he has now recovered.
  • Options
    I rate him and thought his all round performance was pretty good, he can score and will eventually score, when he does it will be the equivalent of England stepping up a gear, vital at this stage of the tournament.

He frightens and stretches defenders already with his pace and movement off the ball, as well as when he runs at them, I think he has been one of the factors in us not just passing sideways and going no-where. To have Rashford to come off the bench in addition is another bonus, roll on Wednesday, a very tough game but no reason why we cant win it and claim a place in the final.
  • Options
    robroy said:

This is typical England and Charlton fans haha.

To be fair, this is typical of any supporter of any English football team.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

robroy said:

This is typical England and Charlton fans haha.

To be fair, this is typical of any supporter of any English football team.

TBF not just England but every big football nation.
    Folk are so desperate for their Country to do well that hyperbole kicks in.
    I realized years ago that other fans didn't put their thoughts into a cogent and constructive way like what I do :blush:
  • Options

Sterling divides the Opinions because for Citeh he scores for fun

Citeh is full of quality top to bottom so it’s not just sterling to worry about

Right now England have 4 attacking players to worry about

1 Kane is seemingly bang in form although against Sweden looked out of Salts against his own high standards

2 linegard scores a great goal set up the winner and is a constant threat

3 Ali not played well at all but got on the score sheet

4 sterling troubles every team we play yet to score or hit the heights he does for his club

If Ali and sterling Kane and linegard turn up on weds we win at a canter

We have t had the best out of sterling or Ali yet and are in the semi finals

Imagine what can happen if they turn up at the max of their game potential

We should have peppered their goal a bit more.