Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure the England formation was described as a 3-3-3-1, not a 3-5-2. Sterling is the most advanced of the last 3, but he's definitely not playing up-front.
  • Options
    Sterling seems to have quite a free role really
  • Options

I'm sure the England formation was described as a 3-3-3-1, not a 3-5-2. Sterling is the most advanced of the last 3, but he's definitely not playing up-front.

Exactly, which is why Vardy can't play there. Feel sorry for Vardy, but our system just doesn't suit him, especially against deep defending opposition.
  • Options
    I think the plan was always to use Vardy as a sub against better quality opposition where there will be space in behind. The route we've taken, the only chance of that happening is potentially the final, and Vardy may not be fit enough to take on the role he was selected for.
  • Options

For the coming home brigade to ponder:

IF Croatia were told at the beginning of the Tournament they would get England in a semi final they would've bitten your hand off.

I hope the story that Henderson has a tight hamstring is fake news because surely he only came off against Sweden because he was a booking away from missing this game and we were 2 up with minutes to play. Henderson has improved so much in the last year by not just being a water carrier.
    Massive loss if not fit.

Talking about the final before you win a semi final is crazy in any sport.

Croatia were superb in the group games now some English folk are saying they can't play is a giant LOL.

Pleased to see that Tutt Tutt thought Sterling should be replaced by Rashford in the last game. Rashford will be the man in this game.
    Be pro-active and make a change GS because as good as Raheem is at getting into goal scoring positions he has been firing blanks for so long now for the national side it's painful to watch. (Nearly 3 years and 22 games !)

Heskey scored a goal every 9 games for England.
    Sterling has scored a goal every 21 games for the national side.
    If he did more assists then fair enough but his best feature seems to be winning the odd free kick.
    I will support him if picked by Gareth for the match but it baffles me as an ex coach and manager at youth level.

PS. Raheem should be the sub who comes on with 20 minutes to go and runs at a tiring defence who have played a lot of minutes.

Heskey was a forward, Sterling is a midfielder.
    England are playing 3-5-2 and Stirling is in the 2 with Captain Kane.
    I know - but he's not a centre forward usually is he.
    He isn't but I do agree with the view that if Sterling is going to be up top with Kane in the two that he needs to score a goal, because otherwise you might aswell pick Vardy or Rashford.

Having said that, I think Sterling has probably played the best out of the 'front' 4, but is the only one who hasn't scored.
    Could Vardy or Rashford drop deeper into midfield and also do what Sterling does?
  • Options

IF Croatia were told at the beginning of the Tournament they would get England in a semi final they would've bitten your hand off.

I hope the story that Henderson has a tight hamstring is fake news because surely he only came off against Sweden because he was a booking away from missing this game and we were 2 up with minutes to play. Henderson has improved so much in the last year by not just being a water carrier.
    Massive loss if not fit.

Croatia were superb in the group games now some English folk are saying they can't play is a giant LOL.

Pleased to see that Tutt Tutt thought Sterling should be replaced by Rashford in the last game. Rashford will be the man in this game.
    Be pro-active and make a change GS because as good as Raheem is at getting into goal scoring positions he has been firing blanks for so long now for the national side it's painful to watch. (Nearly 3 years and 22 games !)

If he did more assists then fair enough but his best feature seems to be winning the odd free kick.
    I will support him if picked by Gareth for the match but it baffles me as an ex coach and manager at youth level.

PS. Raheem should be the sub who comes on with 20 minutes to go and runs at a tiring defence who have played a lot of minutes.

He isn't but I do agree with the view that if Sterling is going to be up top with Kane in the two that he needs to score a goal, because otherwise you might aswell pick Vardy or Rashford.

Having said that, I think Sterling has probably played the best out of the 'front' 4, but is the only one who hasn't scored.
    If Sterling creates space for someone else to score OR earns us a corner from which we score, then he's made a positive contribution. Peter Beardsley only scored 9 goals in 59 appearances, but contributed massively to the team, as Lineker would surely agree with
    Paul Scholes, in a similar role to Sterling (bear in mind Sterling has played less than ten games in this new position), scored 14 in 66 for England.
  • Options
    I'm getting pissed off with people, mostly Scottish, saying it was only Sweden, England haven't played anyone yet, etc.
  • Options

robroy said:

I was screaming at the TV when Sterling missed those chances, granted one was off side. However when you watch the replays of our games. They are putting 2-3 players on him and his running off the ball is great, he is making space for other players. So playing a very good role for the team.

There was no mention of the amount of times Ali gave the ball away because he scored a goal.

I would love to make the final and Sterling to score the winner, then turn round to all of the media and say I wont be doing any interviews as you have mad my life hell.

This 100%. I agree I was very frustrated at the time but he is playing for the team. Of course we may not have the luxury of him missing a golden chance and still winning so he will need to convert one but he is being marked so closely. Believe especially early in the tournament this helped Lingard find some space. When Sweden were watching Lingard and Kane so closely, it was Sterling who found a bit of space.

I think Alli has been one of our worst players, but like you said the second goal means people will ignore that.

Sterling does deserve some criticism as he is missing some outstanding chances, but I am with you that I hope he can shut a lot of people up.
    At least he is in the position to miss them.

Hopefully his luck will change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he's not as good as some are making out, but at the same time he's not as bad as others are making out.....he's doing a job and his pace terrifies defences and he occupies more than 1 defender.

GS isn't going to change the starting 11 now barring injuries or suspensions, Rashford's trouble is that whilst he did well in the warm up games he didn't do enough against Belgium to put real pressure on him.

Sterling desperately needs a goal and I think he'll get one in the next 2 games.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

An interesting question, posed my old man after Saturday’s game “is Raheem Sterling the Kevin Lisbie of International footie?”

More like Rommedahl.
  • Options
    I think that Sterling's confidence in front of goal has diminished since he was a teenager. Below is a video of him as a 16 year old and in each of these goals his finish is spot on:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KVVB9nngJZc
  • Options
    They showed this on Saturday prior to the Sweden game, same 11 principles on Wednesday will serve us well again

• Options
    edited July 2018

if sterling could finish he'd be the player of the world cup imo. He's been fantastic and a major cog in how we play.

IF, but the last 3 years proves he cant.
    Yep his 3 years at Man City have been shite...

Either creates or scores 1 every other game at club level (last few years anyway!).
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Massive loss if not fit.

To make one point clear, Sterling has been given carte blanche to make those runs into the box, which he does well, he a tricky little feller and at last against Sweden it caused the slow Swedish defense trouble.
    3-5-2 or 3-3-3-1 which it can manifest into depending on the score and any other issues. Seeing Kane drift back into midfield on ocasions during the second half of the knock out games meant it was difficult to see who was up front. Vardy for sure when coming on against Columbia, but Sterling seemed to be the most advanced in the latter stages against Sweden.

Most coaches will set up teams so their best attacking midfielders will join striker/s on the end of chances, Lampard, from recent times, plus John Wark (Ipswich and Scotland) and Martin Peters for the older CL folk,
    as they drifted into the box scoring on many occasions.
    Ali was encouraged to drift into the box like he does for Spurs and the victory was achieved against Sweden.

I doubt Gareth will change the starting 11 unless fitness issues dictate.
  • Options

I think the plan was always to use Vardy as a sub against better quality opposition where there will be space in behind. The route we've taken, the only chance of that happening is potentially the final, and Vardy may not be fit enough to take on the role he was selected for.

Why? Is he refusing to train?

We should have taken Lookman... He knows how to play all across the pitch.
  • Options

I think that Sterling's confidence in front of goal has diminished since he was a teenager. Below is a video of him as a 16 year old and in each of these goals his finish is spot on:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KVVB9nngJZc

I should add that I would still have him in the England side simply because he does cause the opposition so many defensive problems by virtue of his pace, movement and the flexibility of his position in the team.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Pulled his groin against Columbia, didn't feature against Sweden. Not heard anything to suggest he's returned to full fitness since Columbia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

robroy said:

I was screaming at the TV when Sterling missed those chances, granted one was off side. However when you watch the replays of our games. They are putting 2-3 players on him and his running off the ball is great, he is making space for other players. So playing a very good role for the team.

There was no mention of the amount of times Ali gave the ball away because he scored a goal.

I would love to make the final and Sterling to score the winner, then turn round to all of the media and say I wont be doing any interviews as you have mad my life hell.

This 100%. I agree I was very frustrated at the time but he is playing for the team. Of course we may not have the luxury of him missing a golden chance and still winning so he will need to convert one but he is being marked so closely. Believe especially early in the tournament this helped Lingard find some space. When Sweden were watching Lingard and Kane so closely, it was Sterling who found a bit of space.

I think Alli has been one of our worst players, but like you said the second goal means people will ignore that.

Sterling does deserve some criticism as he is missing some outstanding chances, but I am with you that I hope he can shut a lot of people up.
    At least he is in the position to miss them.

Hopefully his luck will change.
    Agreed, and I stated in one of my later posts that I believe he has played better than Lingard, Kane and Alli. Still doesn't completely excuse him for missing some great chances, and it's more likely to cost us this week than it has over the last couple of weeks. I am not meaning to criticise, I am praising him and am backing him to stick one in Wednesday.
  • Options

I'm getting pissed off with people, mostly Scottish, saying it was only Sweden, England haven't played anyone yet, etc.

Why get pissed off? Let them join Paulie in streaming their crappy friendlies whilst we get ready for a World Cup Final.
  • Options

Massive loss if not fit.

Could Vardy or Rashford drop deeper into midfield and also do what Sterling does?
    I think Rashford probably could yes. But I am not criticising Sterling, I have very much praised him.

But you said you shouldn't compare Heskey and Sterlings goalscoring stats because one is a midfielder and one is a striker. But I disagree with that on the basis that Sterling is playing far enough forward to expect him to chip in ( I do accept that has now been the case for all his caps). Let's not forget all joking aside that Heskey was not meant to be in the team either to be a regular goalscorer anyway.
  • Options

Massive loss if not fit.

If Sterling creates space for someone else to score OR earns us a corner from which we score, then he's made a positive contribution. Peter Beardsley only scored 9 goals in 59 appearances, but contributed massively to the team, as Lineker would surely agree with
    Paul Scholes, in a similar role to Sterling (bear in mind Sterling has played less than ten games in this new position), scored 14 in 66 for England.
    Paul Scholes and Sterling's roles were nothing alike.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Lookman over Welbeck, agree.
  • Options
    because of scholes' talent he was played all over the shop, not in his preferred position.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

if sterling could finish he'd be the player of the world cup imo. He's been fantastic and a major cog in how we play.

IF, but the last 3 years proves he cant.
    Yep his 3 years at Man City have been shite...

Either creates or scores 1 every other game at club level (last few years anyway!).
    I'm talking about International football.
    Even though he had chances put on a plate for him by
    kevin De bruyne and David Silva he was in the right position to score. Sterling had a great season at City, and I'm not saying he's shite for City.

but his finishing has been shite in nearly every game he has played for England bar 2 out of 42 matches.

Lets move on and hope that patience is rewarded against Croatia.
  • Options
    30,000 tickets available for a screening at Hyde Park. Ballot based, opens in 15mins (4pm):

https://www.bst-hydepark.com/events/detail/croatia-v-england/
  • Options

Massive loss if not fit.

Paul Scholes and Sterling's roles were nothing alike.
    And at international level neither is their finishing