Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options
    Im not getting carried away. We beat the poorer teams we came up against, and when we faced actual world class teams (Belgium/Croatia) we lost. The luck of the draw meant we came up against a world class team a round or two later then we normally would.

Still a massive improvement on Euro 2016 though!
  • Options

The biggest change and I was a not a fan at first at all

Is Southgate

If the only way we have moved on is that we have a manager who is all about the country and his players above himself and the out side schenanigans of being England Mgr then we have made huge steps

For the first time since Sir Bobby we have a family man a man of morals and values , someone who is principled and that means more about what it is to be English

He's also created a fun, relaxed and enjoyable environment for the players and let them take some ownership and create their own rules. It's working. Who knew grown men didn't need to be treated like naughty schoolchildren?
  • Options

Is Southgate

If the only way we have moved on is that we have a manager who is all about the country and his players above himself and the out side schenanigans of being England Mgr then we have made huge steps

For the first time since Sir Bobby we have a family man a man of morals and values , someone who is principled and that means more about what it is to be English

And despite playing at the very highest level, no one can accuse him of having any allegiances so far as the big clubs are concerned. And his son isn't a football agent either!
  • Options
    Yes, he has been a breath of fresh are and I am sure he will meticulously analyse things that could have have been done better. It feels like a new chapter has started to be written and with our youth teams actually winning tournaments, we seem to have the right foundations to capitalise on this going forwards.
  • Options

Is Southgate

He's also created a fun, relaxed and enjoyable environment for the players and let them take some ownership and create their own rules. It's working. Who knew grown men didn't need to be treated like naughty schoolchildren?
    And everyday they got a free breakfast too!
  • Options

Is Southgate

Agreed - needs to make subs earlier though, and look to change things in matches if things aren't working. Hopefully that will come with experience though.
  • Options
    I know at a completely different level, but Powell - who did a great job with us would wait too long to make changes - a lot of managers do. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly human nature. When you have something, like a goal lead, you make it your priority not to give it up and secondly, you may not be sure what to do that will work.

I think when you are playing a clearly better side, it makes sense to sit deeper but if you have been on top and they take risks it forces you to try to exploit them and it is not always possible to do that without risk. That is what they are gambling on - you not being willing to take the risk to exploit their changes, but I think you have to. In terms of knowing how to respond, it might mean playing another player higher up and look to play on the counter quickly - Kane went very deep in the period leading up to the goal. We did do this initially after we scored, getting quick balls up to Sterling and actually frightening them a bit.

Then they changed things and started overloading on their right, our left. No guarantee it would work, but Young was starting to struggle so Rose coming on earlier and maybe Sterling playing in front of him, with Rashford playing higher with Kane, replacing Alli might have been what I did. May not have worked but I don't believe in waiting for opponents to score and doing nothing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was disappointed that Henderson and Sterling came off. Sterling kept them further away from our goal because they were worried about getting caught on the break and Henderson helped us to keep a good shape. I accept Croatia were a different kettle of fish second half, but Rashford and Dier didn't add much, to be honest. However, having said that, I think Croatia were in the ascendancy in the second half and had enough quality and nous to outsmart us, but we may just have clung on if it had stayed 1-0 for longer.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Henderson ran so much and got the ball clear to relieve pressure so often...

The change that needed to occur earlier was Young for Rose. Had that happened before we conceded I think we'd have been less likely to concede as Young wasn't tracking half as much by the time we conceded.

Young had little protection though. A problem with the 3-5-2 system is that the wing backs can end up having to defend against 2 opposition players if they are playing 4-4-2, and the midfield 3 aren't getting out wide to protect them. It's not in Dele's natural game to do that, as he's more of a central No 10 for Spurs?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

JohnBoyUK said:
    If you watch his performances throughout the tournament properly, you would see it was an instruction to play the ball forward quickly.

Yet again, no suprise we lost all shape and press when he left the pitch.
    I agree he was clearly instructed to try to play more probing passes, and at times did it incredibly well. And there are two or three passes in that clip that I think are long passes that are just mis hit, and that happens.

That being said, there are also a lot of hoofs in there as well. And while he's improved drastically down the years, and had a very good tournament, I do still feel he sometimes lacks the technical ability and desire to get the ball in tight spaces and keep possession, and the situational awareness of when to gamble and when to play safe. And with England under the caut, they needed that cool head who is not going to give the ball away for anything. And I don't know that he's that, though to be fair that goes back to England not really having or producing deep lying playmakers.

I don't want to be overly critical of him, he's actually someone I've championed in the past when he got a lot of stick. I just think there are intricacies of the international game when England are in possession that he doesn't possess at this point in his career.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think Henderson is one of 5 England players who has improved their reputation significantly in this tournament. You have Pickford, Trippier, Maguire, Golden boot Kane and Henderson who has been consistently excellent.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JohnBoyUK said:
    If you watch his performances throughout the tournament properly, you would see it was an instruction to play the ball forward quickly.

Yet again, no suprise we lost all shape and press when he left the pitch.
    I agree he was clearly instructed to try to play more probing passes, and at times did it incredibly well. And there are two or three passes in that clip that I think are long passes that are just mis hit, and that happens.

That being said, there are also a lot of hoofs in there as well. And while he's improved drastically down the years, and had a very good tournament, I do still feel he sometimes lacks the technical ability and desire to get the ball in tight spaces and keep possession, and the situational awareness of when to gamble and when to play safe. And with England under the caut, they needed that cool head who is not going to give the ball away for anything. And I don't know that he's that, though to be fair that goes back to England not really having or producing deep lying playmakers.

I don't want to be overly critical of him, he's actually someone I've championed in the past when he got a lot of stick. I just think there are intricacies of the international game when England are in possession that he doesn't possess at this point in his career.
    I agree with you. This is why he needs to be playing alongside someone that also possesses positional intelligence and the ability to keep the ball in tight situations. I personally would have taken Wilshere for this very reason as I don’t think Henderson has it all in his locker and needs help when we are playing teams that put us under pressure.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I agree that it has been a positive start from Southgate, but he has to understand what went wrong rather than bask in the praise. The praise is deserved but if he does the former, he could become a great England manager!
  • Options
    Shag said:

It could be worse , a mate of mine coming back from Moscow missed his flight home so had to pay up for another one that left 5 hours later via Lisbon . When he checked his boarding pass its via Lisbon to MANCHESTER .

M?? What a doughnut! Saw him match day and we was in good spirits.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Didn't realise it at the time but Harry Kane didn't miss the target with his second shot. Subasic made a ridiculous save with his outstretched foot.

For some reason it now hurts ten times more...

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Didn't realise it at the time but Harry Kane didn't miss the target with his second shot. Subasic made a ridiculous save with his outstretched foot.

That hurts
  • Options
    edited July 2018

That hurts
    Strange. I was in a rowdy pub after 7 pints and I saw the goalie save it. I presumed everyone knew he saved it ?
  • Options
    What a save
  • Options

That hurts
    Strange. I was in a rowdy pub after 7 pints and I saw the goalie save it. I presumed everyone knew he saved it ?
    Yeah I was on a Stag Do in Portugal and had been drinking for 3 days and saw it so not sure how anyone missed it. Didn't enjoy the endless 'banter' from Irish and Welsh I encountered for the rest of night.
  • Options

That hurts
    Thought it came off of him but didn’t realise he touched it into the post and then back on to him
  • Options
    That moment was World Cup final or no World Cup final!!!!
  • Options

That hurts
    Thought it came off of him but didn’t realise he touched it into the post and then back on to him
    Exactly the same
  • Options
    Keown called it at the time.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

This is odd, wonder what it's referring to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44811549

Bizarre but predictable. I consider myself very alert to football songs being sung but i did not hear a single controversial song in the ground, let alone anything offensive.

In that respect it was one of the lamest England supports I can remember - often the case at long distance WC’s.

Unless they count Rule Britannia ffs and even that was only once and half hearted.
  • Options
    Are we all watching the 3rd/4th playoff today. The most depressing game of the tournament for me as it'll probably give me the hump thinking about what might have been. I'm sure I'll still watch it though