Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Croatia

Comments

• Looking back on it we should've buried them in that first half. I really feel that if we'd gone 2 up that would've been game over. Still don't see why Kane didn't just square it for Sterling to have a tap in.

The golden boot.
  • Wonder if this is the 1990 team for the younger generation
  • Wonder if this is the 1990 team for the younger generation

That's exactly what my eldest said to me last night - "this is our 1990"
  • johnny73 said:

Vital experience for the players. We also have players coming through to fully develop the system that Southgate wants.

Who's coming through? Honest question
  • Alarm goes off at quarter past six and the current feeling is I feel ten times worse now than I did last night.

We could have been looking forward to the World Cup Final and there is a very good chance I will never see this chance again in my lifetime

If anything this has proved to me that there's a real possibility we could. If we take self belief with pressure and expectation there's no reason why England can't one day.

Who would have thought we'd have got to semis or Croatia would be in the final.
  • The weather matches the mood of a nation

Clear, fresh and sunny?
  • Croatia have proven themselves as the Extra Time warriors. They've won every game that has gone there.

We were unlucky on the night to not be 3/4-0 up at half time. Think that intensity in the first half was our undoing. We didn't have the subs to keep that going.
  • We will be in the final and when there we will win the World Cup

that’s the bottom line cos NLA said so

There goes the 100% record ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Croatia have proven themselves as the Extra Time warriors. They've won every game that has gone there.

We were unlucky on the night to not be 3/4-0 up at half time. Think that intensity in the first half was our undoing. We didn't have the subs to keep that going.

I thought the intensity in the first half was spot on.
    We created 3 or 4 decent chances the problem was that we failed to take them.
    Had we scored a 2nd I'm convinced we would have won.
  • Should have come out 2nd half in a 4-4-2

Pickford
    Trippier Maguire Stones Rose
    Lingard Henderson Shelvey Sterling
    Kane Rashford

Only one problem with that side...
  • Dazzler21 said:

Should have come out 2nd half in a 4-4-2

Pickford
    Kane Rashford

Well even if Shelvey had been there, i'm pretty sure that after a comfortable first half with us winning 1-0, Southgate wouldn't have made 3 changes at half time!
  • edited July 2018

Chances like that to get to a World Cup Final come along once in a lifetime.

I think they happen more often than people think - 1990, Belgium and Cameroon before a difficult semi final, 2002 teams going out left, right and centre. Euro 2016 is another example, Portugal's side of the draw.

In the last 20-25 years teams like Sweden, Romania and Turkey have reached semis without playing anyone great.

Lopsided draws will happen more often in 24 team Euros and 48 team World Cups too.
  • edited July 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Should have come out 2nd half in a 4-4-2

Pickford
    Kane Rashford

Or on the hour mark, 99% agree with that Daz, sub Delph for the fella who never got the call up and we could have shut down the threat from their constant overlapping full backs :+1:

As many have said, gutted but there's more hope for the future than for a long time with the current set up plus some of the under 21 world champions will be breaking through.
  • Absolutely gutted.

Loads of positives to take from the tournament. We came up short in the end, but getting to the semi final is a great achievement - full credit to Southgate and the players. This is massive progress.
  • Chunes said:

johnny73 said:

Vital experience for the players. We also have players coming through to fully develop the system that Southgate wants.

Arnt we current holders for every youth level?
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't caught up with this thread yet. I can't help feeling that Southgate was outdone tactically last night.

All the talk before the game was about them pushing their fullbacks and wingers up on our wingbacks and causing an overload. Southgate had to find a way to deal with this before the game.

They didn't do this first half and we looked comfortable. Second half from the very first move it was clear they had made the decision to do this. Fair enough you don't need to change things straight away give it time and see how the system deals with it. After about 10 mins it was clear we were losing the battle. They were all over our wingbacks and were 2 on 1 with them regularly. This prevented them from getting up and down the pitch as they have done so well all tournament. So that meant in attack we had no width and in defence we had the midfield 3 trying to cover the whole width of the pitch and help pick up one of the side men as well as deal with their world class 2. We were losing the midfield battle. It needed a tactical switch. Either a temporary move like swapping sterling to the left to pick up one of the side men until we had weathered the storm. Or switching to a back r to match them. At the very least we could have used RLC as some fresh legs in midfield as it was clear Ali and Lingard were struggling to get wide quick enough. Something had to change and it didn't. We allowed them to overrun us in midfield for too long and they made us pay for that.

Kane sat too deep all match

Fair summary (imo) but would say the warning signs were there after half an hour, we were sitting back or forced back and started to hit it long. The longer the game went on the worst that tactic became and Lovern & Vida gobbled everything up. At that point I was sure we were going to lose unless we changed tactics.

Most disappointed with Ali as I am a big fan but where were all the little moves and link ups that you see him do for Tottenham.
  • Possible team for the Euros:

Pickford
    Trippier
    New LB
    Gomez
    Stones
    Maguire
    Henderson
    New CM (Winks?)
    Lingard
    New Attacking Mid / Or the Man City version of Sterling
    Kane
  • Chunes said:

johnny73 said:

under 17s and under 20s champions, if the premier league can introduce a cap on over seas players we have a great future ahead.... not so much though if they stay with the Chelsea reserves until they are 25
  • Spare a thought for my poor lad who is half Russian and half English and has now experienced the pain of elimination twice in short order, although 15 years watching Charlton will have equipped himself for football pain. I shall resist the temptation to buy him a poster of Luka Modric and to book a holiday in Croatia.
  • Chunes said:

johnny73 said:

Yeah I just wondered if there were any potential world class stars coming through the ranks.

Just looked at the U20 team, the winning goal in the final was scored by Calvert-Lewin...

Player of the tournament was Solanke. Former winners: Messi, Pogba, etc.

Lewis Cook captained the side.

Lookman also there, doing well in the Bundesliga.

Article about where the squad are now.
  • Possible team for the Euros:

Pickford
    Trippier
    New LB
    Gomez
    Stones
    Maguire
    Henderson
    New CM (Winks?)
    Lingard
    Kane

We need an English version of Modric/Pirlo if we are to get anywhere - I suspect the nearest we have at present is Jonjo Shelvey.
  • Uboat said:

Dazzler21 said:

For me, England this tournament was the best ive seen. We may have had the easiest route, but this squad played with honour and as a unit, and with true pride in the badge which I havent seen in my lifetime and im very proud of our team for that. Well done lads.

I'm 30 so don't remember 1990 but agree with this.
    Im 25 mate
    Blimey. What was your England highlight before this tournament?
    Probably Beckham scoring that free kick against Greece haha. That's about all I've got. I was pretty happy with the 02 tournament but even that wasn't brilliant
  • Well played England, so close yet so far. The big positives coming out of the tournament were the defence (bar Young who was so so) and Harry Kane who lead the line well. Less convincing was central midfield (Dele Ali didn't seem fit enough to play his crucial box to box role). Lingard, Sterling and Rashford played like squad players and we'll need better options in future tournaments if we're going to challenge for trophies.
  • sm said:

Possible team for the Euros:

Pickford
    Trippier
    New LB
    Gomez
    Stones
    Maguire
    Henderson
    New CM (Winks?)
    Lingard
    Kane

We need an English version of Modric/Pirlo if we are to get anywhere - I suspect the nearest we have at present is Jonjo Shelvey.
    Phil Foden.

The only question is whether he will get enough game time at City.
  • edited July 2018
    Feel great optimism about the future of the England team. Decent youth level players an excellent showing at this tournament from a young team who will be confident and hungry to avenge the disappointment in future tournaments.

In relative terms whilst world class players like Ronaldo, Suarez, Pepe and uber sausage Neymar spent the tournament writhing around feigning injuries trying to cheat their way to success by comparison our lads in the main played with hearth, spirit and backbone and exited with dignity and heads held high.

Proudest I've been of an England team since 96 and a couple of months ago not being an avid follower of the premier league probably wouldn't have recognised in the street some of the young ladrivers who have lifted the mood and spirit of our wonderful country so brilliantly the past few weeks and given us a sense of optimism for future success.

Been bloody brilliant.