Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where the England squad come from

2»

Comments

• Options

This includes the Jamaican lad, Sterling?

I said "grew up". He came over at the age of 5 and lived in London ...
    Sterling grew up? When did that happen?
  • Options

Wasn't there a book called Why do England lose or something similar and in it one of the reasons given was that football in the UK was massively class based which meant we missed out on potential good players (law of averages) even if it was one good international player every generation it was considered one of the fine margins for losing at the highest level.

I will see if I can get find it, although our Library is being refurbished.

How posh are you?
    Shooters will be getting house envy! ;-)
    So fucking posh you wouldn't believe it, I have been repainting the bookshelves with some Farrow and Ball* paint.

*Left behind by previous owners and found at the back of the shed.
  • Options

Wasn't there a book called Why do England lose or something similar and in it one of the reasons given was that football in the UK was massively class based which meant we missed out on potential good players (law of averages) even if it was one good international player every generation it was considered one of the fine margins for losing at the highest level.

I will see if I can get find it, although our Library is being refurbished.

That's interesting. Would probably take a look at that.
    Will try and find it but struggling to move head at the moment.
  • Options
    Funnily enough read this interview with Neville Southall today, obviously praising Pickford to the hilt
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/09/jordan-pickford-one-question-how-good-neville-southall
    one of the points he makes is that the current squad is a return to working class values, a lot of the players have played in non league or lower leagues and understand that talent alone is not enough.
    I get the impression it's not been like that for some time, though I'm fairly certain that it was like that in 66.
    Even better though, is this is a young team, they can get better.
    Looking forward to the claims from various parts of the north along the lines of the West ham boast.
  • Options

Frank Lampard and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain both attended private schools.

Scott Parker from the very middle-class London state school Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hatcham College.

Quantity surveyor’s son James Milner.

To name but five.

Scott Parker grew up in Grove Park, that boy isn't middle class!
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Funnily enough read this interview with Neville Southall today, obviously praising Pickford to the hilt
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/09/jordan-pickford-one-question-how-good-neville-southall
    one of the points he makes is that the current squad is a return to working class values, a lot of the players have played in non league or lower leagues and understand that talent alone is not enough.
    I get the impression it's not been like that for some time, though I'm fairly certain that it was like that in 66.
    Even better though, is this is a young team, they can get better.
    Looking forward to the claims from various parts of the north along the lines of the West ham boast.

Since that article is about Pickford.... I must say I've become a fan of this young keeper now. I followed Sunderland a bit during the 2015/16 season and their first match I watched live was the away fixture against Spurs in January 2016. IIRC it was Pickford's Premier League debut and Sunderland conceded four goals! He wasn't even their first choice goalkeeper then. Nobody would have thought he would be England's No.1 in two years' time let alone being so brilliant in this WC. I was slightly worried before the tournament thinking maybe he was too young and wouldn't be able to cope with all the pressure but I was totally wrong. Age has actaully been an advantage and Pickford, along with the rest of this young England team have shown that they are fearless and probably carry less mental pressure/stress. They are still young and they've got nothing to lose so they don't seem to worry too much. Pickford showed so much passion during the Sweden game, which was truly amazing to see. It's players like this that make me really love a national team other than my own country's.

I'm not entirely sure about the author's 'England's No.1 for the next 10 years' prediction but as long as he stays injury free and keeps grounded, keeps working hard, does not get carried away, he'll be your No.1 for quite some years I think. (Big Sam wouldn't have dropped Hart for Pickford so well done to Southgate!)