Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 2018/2019 (In general)

Comments

• Options

I'll be there.

You driving mate I'm in
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I'll be there.

You driving mate I'm in
    Don't know yet.
  • Options

clb74 said:

I'll be there.

You driving mate I'm in
    Don't know yet.
    My selfish wife don't drive back from Eastbourne at 5.30am on the Sunday with the car
  • Options
    Will there be coaches?
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    The coach will take 5 hours for the 3 1/4 hour drive
  • Options
    I'm struggling here .. is the game DEFO on Sunday lunchtime ?
  • Options

I'm struggling here .. is the game DEFO on Sunday lunchtime ?

Yes, 12.45
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh well supporters coach it is then.
  • Options
    Elfs has been booking his transportation for an hour
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bd1c71f570b2/fa-cup-first-round-date-with-mansfield-confirmed

Glad to see that the convenience of us idiots that actually pay money to go to games has taken a back seat in order to protect the interests of the hordes of people across Japan, China and Malaysia who will be absolutely desperate to tune into the game.

OI!

There are at least half a dozen CL members who will be happy about this.

• Options

Can someone please explain why there is always so much angst about travelling to away games especially with regard to the trains.

Do that many of our fans not drive or do they all want to get drunk ?? I'm all for a few drinks but surely you can go without for a few hours ??

I've been driving for 30 years & would never dream of trying to get to Mansfield by train. A couple of weeks ago I had to get to East Grinstead Hospital from where I live in Borough Green. I've been there many times & always drive, but this time I was having surgery on my eye & couldn't drive. Door to door it took me 2.25 hours one way......and I live 2 mins from the station here ! By car yesterday it took me 45 mins there (M25) and 60 mins coming back via T/wells. Round trip of 75 miles & cost of fuel approx £15. Train journey was to Victoria, change, then train to E Grinstead & then cab to hospital. As it was not off peak the total cost of ticket & cab was £62. Ok, with a car I have toad tax (£30 pa) & insurance......but these are paid regardless if I drive 5k miles pa or 25k pa. Just would never travel by public transport unless I really had to. Only time I do is for business meeting in town when the cost of Congestion Zone, parking & general traffic problems mean it is daft not to although I detest the cost (£30 return last time.......thats almost half a tank of fuel)

sorry.......off topic but gah !!

Can you let me know where you get your car for free cheers
  • Options

Can someone please explain why there is always so much angst about travelling to away games especially with regard to the trains.

Do that many of our fans not drive or do they all want to get drunk ?? I'm all for a few drinks but surely you can go without for a few hours ??

I've been driving for 30 years & would never dream of trying to get to Mansfield by train. A couple of weeks ago I had to get to East Grinstead Hospital from where I live in Borough Green. I've been there many times & always drive, but this time I was having surgery on my eye & couldn't drive. Door to door it took me 2.25 hours one way......and I live 2 mins from the station here ! By car yesterday it took me 45 mins there (M25) and 60 mins coming back via T/wells. Round trip of 75 miles & cost of fuel approx £15. Train journey was to Victoria, change, then train to E Grinstead & then cab to hospital. As it was not off peak the total cost of ticket & cab was £62. Ok, with a car I have toad tax (£30 pa) & insurance......but these are paid regardless if I drive 5k miles pa or 25k pa. Just would never travel by public transport unless I really had to. Only time I do is for business meeting in town when the cost of Congestion Zone, parking & general traffic problems mean it is daft not to although I detest the cost (£30 return last time.......thats almost half a tank of fuel)

So your a maybe for the next Charlton away train organiser then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good draw for me. 20 minutes drive from Chesterfield
  • Options

I’ve been wondering this too. I don’t have an aversion to getting the train and will do if it’s convinent but if not I’ll just drive. Surely driving is better than not seeing the game at all? Also, assuming most people do something on a Saturday night, you can now still do that with the game on Sunday. I’ve seen comments about it being unfair to kids too - I don’t have kids so I can’t imagine how much more difficult that makes everything - but surely it’s better that, after an early start they can still be home at a decent time on the Sunday evening, rather than much later on a Saturday night? I know everyone’s circumstances are different, but like Golfie, I’m curious to know why 12:45 Sunday is so terrible.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

JaShea99 said:

I’ve been wondering this too. I don’t have an aversion to getting the train and will do if it’s convinent but if not I’ll just drive. Surely driving is better than not seeing the game at all? Also, assuming most people do something on a Saturday night, you can now still do that with the game on Sunday. I’ve seen comments about it being unfair to kids too - I don’t have kids so I can’t imagine how much more difficult that makes everything - but surely it’s better that, after an early start they can still be home at a decent time on the Sunday evening, rather than much later on a Saturday night? I know everyone’s circumstances are different, but like Golfie, I’m curious to know why 12:45 Sunday is so terrible.
    Jesus wept!!
    Ah ok, makes sense, I get it now. Cheers for the explanation.
  • Options
    Not been to Mansfield 40 years. Was my first ever game. Only live 30 mins away and found out i'm rota'd to work. Bloody NHS keeping hospitals open on Sundays, but Roland has to take some of the flack...he just does!

How about an away day Roland Out protest where everyone wears a Roland mask except Seb ala Where's Wally'?
  • Options

Has anyone watched Charlton in the past few years you need to have a drink to watch, people work all week and then football is there hobby and a few beers with mates.

This .
    There is a regular group of about ten or more in my group and meeting up early and having a few beers is all part of the match day experience.
    In fact I would go as far as to say that the 90 minutes of football at times has been the worst part of the day.
    I was a regular away traveller (pre-boycott) for best part of 40 years and it was always about the day out (definitely including the beer) as much as the scoreline. For some weird reason, many of the best trips home have been after a defeat and many of the few wins were followed by a gloomy return.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Tbh we are a weird bunch elfsborgs getting getting the train back and won't get back to London till 8.45pm so he might be back indoors at 10 the coach will get back about 7.30.
    Come to think of it though elfs is weird anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I think you have excelled yourself this time, golfie. Victor Meldrew post of the week.

On that final note, maybe you should consider ditching the car .....

:smile:
    Leave off, let him drive.
    We take the train to relax, play cards, have more than a few beers (not normally on the train) and to have a laugh.
    If Victor Meldrew joined us, gah ..... :smile: