Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited September 2019
    I bought some King Vegan Jerky yesterday as I was curious how disgusting it would be. It was actually superb! The most impressive thing was how they got the texture so right

I've also tried the Kings Vegetarian Jerky (they currently don't manufacture a vegan version). It's not bad as a stand alone product but the texture is nothing like proper biltong. It's far too strandy.
    Oh yes apologies its veggie not vegan! Its certainly not as good as Biltong, or Jerky for that matter but its a bloody good meat free alternative 
  • Do kids still get milk? Thought it was taken away for most kids years and years ago. 
  • Stevelamb said:
     Jordi Casamitjana says he was sacked by the League Against Cruel Sports after disclosing it invested pension funds in firms involved in animal testing. He claims he was discriminated against, and the tribunal will now decide if veganism should be protected in law.
    As a keen angler I visited the site claiming new evidence that fish feel pain.  Apart from the fact that it's mostly waffle and little more than proof that a fish behaves differently given different stimuli, what struck me was, given the views of animal rights supporters on animal testing, the irony of attempting to impose pain on an animal for no other purpose than to prove pain can be experienced. 

“....but when scientists gave the rainbow trout a painful injection of acetic acid, they were much less likely to exhibit these defensive behaviors....,”  [Note unscientific assertion that an injection of acetic is painful]

“in contrast, fish injected with both acid and morphine maintained their usual caution.....”

“In another study, rainbow trout that received injections of acetic acid in their lips....” 

"sticking a pin into goldfish or rainbow trout, just behind their gills..."

“Fish injected with both acid and morphine also showed some of these unusual behaviors, but to a much lesser extent, whereas fish injected with saline never behaved oddly.”

Whilst animal testing to improve human life is demonised and staff are fair game to be harassed and abused, it's perfectly OK for the animal rights warriors to deliberately try and inflict pain on animals for no other bizarre reason than to prove they are experiencing pain, when all evidence points to the contrary.  At least one part of animal testing is trying to prove harm isn't done as opposed to animal rights warriors hoping to inflict pain to support their cause. 

By the way, I could have saved them all this wasted effort, fish don't experience pain when a hook goes through their lip.  The scientists stuck needles in their gills but the one relevant experiment they don't record is the effect of a hook piercing their lip, perhaps they have, observed what I have observed, and don't report it because it's not what they want to prove.  

What I observed once when a fly was dangling by my foot as I was untangling my line, was the hook piercing its lip as it grabbed the fly and it made no move or reaction over than to glide by dragging my loose line looking for more food.  Went back into the water completely unharmed.

Carp, having been caught on many occasions, can be regularly observed working out how to get the bait off a hook without getting hooked this time round.  So whilst they obviously perceive a danger, whatever they experience being caught obviously isn't so traumatic that they are not tempted to risk it again for an easy meal. 

• When a fish is returned to the water, how long does it take for the hole in their lip to heal?
  • seth plum said:
    When a fish is returned to the water, how long does it take for the hole in their lip to heal?
    Same time as those injection holes I guess, although hooks are finer than a hollow needle, Unlike when you stick a pin into their gills to see what happens, there is no damage to blood cells and the cells just re- connect.

Fish are tagged for scientific research all the time , if it caused pain or approached the trauma of an ear piercing it would likely be obvious.
  • If veganism become the majority, can meat eaters then claim to be a minority and be given some form of protected status? Or will there be a clamour to demonise a then minority?

Be very interesting to see how the 'changes with the wind' moral compasses treat a minority. With the care and compassion that they exude to all, no doubt.

• If veganism become the majority, can meat eaters then claim to be a minority and be given some form of protected status? Or will there be a clamour to demonise a then minority?

Be very interesting to see how the 'changes with the wind' moral compasses treat a minority. With the care and compassion that they exude to all, no doubt.

Bollocks to that, if it was down to me they’d be shunned, forced from our cities and towns and made to live in the woods. 
  • Sponsored links:

Bollocks to that, if it was down to me they’d be shunned, forced from our cities and towns and made to live in the woods. 
    It would be fun to watch all of the lank haired, 3 stone when wet, pasty folk trying to muster the energy to get violent and raise a placard above their heads.

It would be fun to watch all of the lank haired, 3 stone when wet, pasty folk trying to muster the energy to get violent and raise a placard above their heads.

Once they put some purple hair dye on theres no stopping them.

Real vegans wouldn’t refer to towns and cities as “ours”.
    In fact, true vegans would be living in woodlands with squirrel Nutkin and Bertie badger and not in man made, habitat stealing cities.

dont know how to do smiley winky thing.
  • Real carnivores might consider eating rats and cockroaches, there are plenty of those around😋
  • seth plum said:
    Real carnivores might consider eating rats and cockroaches, there are plenty of those around😋

Tbf seth, with the dubious origin of the meat in your average ready meal they probably already are.
  • Why are vegans always angry?
  • Lack of protein!

I didn’t know ‘we’ were. Certainly not true for me, I’m always a shining ray of joy.
  • @Big_Bad_World you obviously never saw the reaction on social media from some of the meat munchers when Greggs first announced the introduction of their vegan sausage rolls? 
  • Sponsored links:

I didn’t know ‘we’ were. Certainly not true for me, I’m always a shining ray of joy.

That's the trouble, though. It's all about interpretation. If you put something into the public space you lose all ownership of it, including other people's reactions to it. That it wasn't meant for them, or they are, in your opinion, wrong, doesn't matter. You put it there and that's their reaction/judgement. Either don't put something into a public space or just accept that people will come to their own conclusions.

Thanks @McBobbin ;)

• edited September 2019
    @Big_Bad_World you obviously never saw the reaction on social media from some of the meat munchers when Greggs first announced the introduction of their vegan sausage rolls? 

I did see the huge overreaction, yes, It was ever so slightly more cringeworthy than those that were desperately clamouring to claim that it tastes like a proper sausage roll.

Both sides were in a giving mood on that unforgettable day :)

• @Big_Bad_World - serious question. Am I right in thinking you are a Millwall fan? (apologies if it isn't you). Why do you, a meat eating Wall fan, come on a vegan thread on a Charlton forum?
  • @Arsenetatters maybe he is researching suggestions for a vegan/vegetarian offering to be introduced into the catering arrangements at Millwall's ground.
  • @Big_Bad_World - serious question. Am I right in thinking you are a Millwall fan? (apologies if it isn't you). Why do you, a meat eating Wall fan, come on a vegan thread on a Charlton forum?

Hi @Arsenetatters, you are correct that I am a Millwall fan (although they are testing my patience at the moment, I have to admit).

Would I be right in assuming that you are, admittedly with a very light touch approach, suggesting that I, possibly, should not be posting here? Apologies if I've read it wrong.

Hi @Arsenetatters, you are correct that I am a Millwall fan (although they are testing my patience at the moment, I have to admit).

Would I be right in assuming that you are, admittedly with a very light touch approach, suggesting that I, possibly, should not be posting here? Apologies if I've read it wrong.

Are you sure you're 'wall mate?