Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    jamescafc said:

Be keen to hear about any decent vegans recipes if possible. Too often after a busy day at work, I end up eating a falafel or halloumi wrap for dinner and want to add a bit more variety.

'Have you tried making giant batches of stuff and keeping them in the freezer, you can then just pop something in the microwave after a busy day, but still have a healthy delicious homecooked meal.

I do it with bolognase, chilli, curry, stews and dumplings all of which have veggie/vegan options.

Yesterday I spent an hour making dumplings, now we have loads of easy breakfast just sitting in the freezer.
  • Options
    I’ve tried it before with curries and pasta dishes and always find it tastes a bit crap once defrosted.

We have a big Asian community at work and they’ve tried getting me to eat rice, noodles and dumplings for breakfast and I just can’t get my head around it.
  • Options
    I can't handle rice for breakfast, but my wife and I eat a rough 50/50 split between Chinese and western breakfast.

I agree pasta doesn't freeze well.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I’ve tried it before with curries and pasta dishes and always find it tastes a bit crap once defrosted.

We have a big Asian community at work and they’ve tried getting me to eat rice, noodles and dumplings for breakfast and I just can’t get my head around it.

Investigate Indian breakfasts. Dosa etc.
  • Options
    A vegan friend of mine posted a short film on Fb about 10 famous vegetarians from history. I pointed out (in a jovial style) that they left out a little Austrian bloke with a funny moustache, to which he replied that he wasn't a veggie at all and that he ate meat in secret (a dubious claim from what a quick check on t'internet could glean). So I said - again pointing out that I was playing devil's advocate - how did he know the others on the film didn't eat meat in secret too? At which point he went totally po-faced and got a bit shirty about the whole thing. That's my only problem with (some) veggies and vegans, they seem to have a sense of humour loss when you have a bit of "banter" about their lifestyle choice. I'm all for it anyway - anything that pisses off Piers Morgan is alright by me.
  • Options
    @jamescafc I’d recommend buying the vegan cookery book by Bosh, the have a vlog as well and I’ve made a few of their recipes and they are fairly easy, not too many am ingredients and taste amazing.
  • Options

A vegan friend of mine posted a short film on Fb about 10 famous vegetarians from history. I pointed out (in a jovial style) that they left out a little Austrian bloke with a funny moustache, to which he replied that he wasn't a veggie at all and that he ate meat in secret (a dubious claim from what a quick check on t'internet could glean). So I said - again pointing out that I was playing devil's advocate - how did he know the others on the film didn't eat meat in secret too? At which point he went totally po-faced and got a bit shirty about the whole thing. That's my only problem with (some) veggies and vegans, they seem to have a sense of humour loss when you have a bit of "banter" about their lifestyle choice. I'm all for it anyway - anything that pisses off Piers Morgan is alright by me.

Dave Berry pointed out the other day that Gregg's and piers share a publicist. Outraged on demand, who'd have thought it.
  • Options
    The above link does inadvertently raise an interesting point, which is there are simply no substitutes for a lot of non-vegan ingredients. There must be some balance between sustainable food production and 100s of years worth of culinary traditions and culture that vegans and non-vegans can be happy with.
  • Options

@jamescafc I’d recommend buying the vegan cookery book by Bosh, the have a vlog as well and I’ve made a few of their recipes and they are fairly easy, not too many am ingredients and taste amazing.

Cheers Neil, will give it a go. Eating far too much Mexican type food and getting quite fat.
  • Options
    I work at World Animal Protection, our latest pecking order report has been issued for those interested in the welfare of Chickens
    https://www.worldanimalprotection.org/sites/default/files/int_files/the_pecking_order_full_report.pdf?_ga=2.61317996.1382864517.1547459651-2110637799.1547459651
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's the difference between Domino's inc and dominos plc?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The above link does inadvertently raise an interesting point, which is there are simply no substitutes for a lot of non-vegan ingredients. There must be some balance between sustainable food production and 100s of years worth of culinary traditions and culture that vegans and non-vegans can be happy with.

There's no such thing as sustainable food production, there's too many of us!
  • Options
    kimbo said:

I work at World Animal Protection, our latest pecking order report has been issued for those interested in the welfare of Chickens
    https://www.worldanimalprotection.org/sites/default/files/int_files/the_pecking_order_full_report.pdf?_ga=2.61317996.1382864517.1547459651-2110637799.1547459651

Interesting and depressing reading @kimbo.
  • Options
    This is a new one on me.
    A friend of my mum's won't eat anything that swims or tries to fly ?
    Fish, duck, Turkey or chicken, but will eat beef, pork, lamb etc.
    There should be a name for this ?
  • Options

This is a new one on me.

Idiocy.
    Nice lady but is from Lancashire so that may explain it .
  • Options
    i'm still in shock that someone compared eating meat to slavery.......
  • Options

This is a new one on me.

Turfatarian
  • Options

i'm still in shock that someone compared eating meat to slavery.......

Eating meat gets compared to everything, slavery, peadophilia, the holocaust, murder and so on.
  • Options

This is a new one on me.

How about Terra-firmaism ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is a new one on me.

Flying fish a definite no-no then?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

This is a new one on me.

Flying fish a definite no-no then?

A double negative, perhaps?
  • Options
    What about oysters?
  • Options

What about oysters?

So whats a Goblin?
  • Options
    Had a couple more of the M&S new range of vegan food.

Very good if you don’t have or don’t make time to cook your own lunch.

1 pot at £2.50 is enough for me with fruit for lunch. Bigger eaters would need 2 pots. Decent range though and a good effort from M&S