Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foul throws during the world cup

Have I missed another rule change?
Noticed quite a few dodgy throws, referees seem to let them all go.
Anyone else noticed..?
Please don't let me be the only one...

Comments

• Have I missed another rule change?
    Anyone else noticed..?

There was 1 yesterday for Colombia, he threw it and I thought that looked weird, then the commentator said that must be a foul throw
    Anyone else noticed..?

Refs have been letting loads of things go this WC, foul throws probably the least important.
    Saying that, not bothering with foul throws has been the norm for ages. It's at the point where I think players have actually forgotten the rule and look genuinely confused on the rare occasion a ref blows up for one.
  • He practically bounced it off his own toes.
  • Throw ins don't seem to be a thing anymore except in Sunday football.
    Not just in the world cup, but in our leagues too judging by what you see on the telly.
    Anyone else noticed..?

There was 1 yesterday for Colombia, he threw it and I thought that looked weird, then the commentator said that must be a foul throw
    Our players appealed and the ref waved it away, just don't think they care about throw ins.
    Funny how when I used to play Sunday football years ago it was the throws and keeper holding ball for 5 seconds that they seemed most bothered about yet they are largely ignored in pro football.
  • Boetang got pulled up for a foul throw in one of the group games and looked shocked when the ref penalised him. Even though it was the most blatant foul throw ever (before that one last night anyway). I just don’t think refs or players even think about the rules on this anymore tbh!
  • You do seem loads in pro football which are regularly ignored by refs unless it's feet offence.
  • This is a pet hate of mine

It comes in two parts

1 the volume of pros who can't take a legal throw
    2 the lack of referees and linesman doing anythi g about it because I guarantee you kids on Sunday mornings everywhere will copy what they see on tele
  • Things just ain't what they used to be. Had it drummed into us at Primary school, both feet behind the line (in the 50s/60's), two hands on the ball, take it back behind your head, bring them forward together nice and straight and release the ball above your head. How difficult can that be to do or for a referee to enforce :angry: .
  • I think the rules on throw ins changed a couple if years ago, making what we used to consider a foul throw, legal. I'm not entirely sure what the actual changes were, and I still think the one last night was a wrong un. Any refs on here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Good job Serge Aurier isnt at the world cup!
  • I think the rules on throw ins changed a couple if years ago, making what we used to consider a foul throw, legal. I'm not entirely sure what the actual changes were, and I still think the one last night was a wrong un. Any refs on here?

Yes, @PeterGage is qualified..
  • edited July 2018
    I've been saying this for at least 10 years.
    Hate it.
    When I coached it was a pet hate of mine and to get a session started each player would have to do a Throw in properly before we moved on, 7 year olds seem to learn quick that way.
  • Am I the only one in the world that doesn't like all the requirements of throw-ins. The whole business as beautifully described above by @RedChaser, seems like it serves no other purpose but to confuse young school kids. What other reason could there be for all that old nonsense? It's like some secret masonic handshake - do you understand all the components of a legal throw in? Ahh, then you're in the secret football society. Both hands on the ball, both feet on the ground, trouser leg rolled up around the knee, stroke the other blokes palm and pretend that's normal... Its all just nonsense. Why not go the whole hog: the ball has to be thrown through your own legs whilst you are standing with your back to the pitch with one leg in the air. If you plant your non-standing leg before two other members of your team have touched the ball that counts as a foul and the opposition are immediately awarded a direct free kick. You must do all this whilst wearing a hat emblazoned with the words 'official throw-in taker' and continuously shouting 'Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Kabaddi...' until a second player on your team touches the ball. If not then...(well, you get the message).

Football is the greatest sport on earth. It is the greatest sport despite, not because of, throw ins. Personally, I'm all for allowing any type of throw, one-handed, two-handed, one foot on the floor, right arm over the wicket, it really doesn't matter. Let's just get the ball in play as quickly as possible and play 'football'.
  • Yeah that throw on yesterday was outrageous
  • edited July 2018
    Stig said:

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't like all the requirements of throw-ins. The whole business as beautifully described above by @RedChaser, seems like it serves no other purpose but to confuse young school kids. What other reason could there be for all that old nonsense? It's like some secret masonic handshake - do you understand all the components of a legal throw in? Ahh, then you're in the secret football society. Both hands on the ball, both feet on the ground, trouser leg rolled up around the knee, stroke the other blokes palm and pretend that's normal... Its all just nonsense. Why not go the whole hog: the ball has to be thrown through your own legs whilst you are standing with your back to the pitch with one leg in the air. If you plant your non-standing leg before two other members of your team have touched the ball that counts as a foul and the opposition are immediately awarded a direct free kick. You must do all this whilst wearing a hat emblazoned with the words 'official throw-in taker' and continuously shouting 'Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Kabaddi...' until a second player on your team touches the ball. If not then...(well, you get the message).

Football is the greatest sport on earth. It is the greatest sport despite, not because of, throw ins. Personally, I'm all for allowing any type of throw, one-handed, two-handed, one foot on the floor, right arm over the wicket, it really doesn't matter. Let's just get the ball in play as quickly as possible and play 'football'.

Nah, the laws of the game have mostly stood the test of time and must be upheld. If it ain't broke don't fix it and don't get me started on passing back from the kick off what the fcuk is that all about? The ball must go forward into your opponents half surely.

And as for first phase, second phase offsides it's a minefield, the game used to be so simple. If you're offside, you're offside end of, not interfering shouldn't come into it (you can tell I was a defender) :wink: .
  • Well if its consistency with old rules you want then I give you... no throw in rules. The laws of the game had been codified for twenty yours before the two-handed throw in was introduced. Let's keep things as they were before this turgid experiment.
  • Foul throws always annoy me. But they shouldn't. It doesn't really "matter". If someone unfamiliar with football watches a game, the throw-in is probably not going to be the thing that puts them off watching another game, and another and another.

It's the pathetic, childish and embarrassing feigning of injuries. It's one thing that FIFA must clear up before the next World Cup. Because this one has been brilliant so far, with the exception of the nonsense by people like Neymar. He should be thoroughly humiliated when he sees replays of his gross antics. But I am sure he isn't.

So while foul throws should be punished, I think FIFA have a bigger problem they need to sort out. Because it's ruining the reputation of the game.
  • Stig said:

Well if its consistency with old rules you want then I give you... no throw in rules. The laws of the game had been codified for twenty yours before the two-handed throw in was introduced. Let's keep things as they were before this turgid experiment.

Well let's not stop there lets go back to umpteen aside in a pack kicking a ball around in a muddy field into one goal :wink:
  • Stig said:

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't like all the requirements of throw-ins. The whole business as beautifully described above by @RedChaser, seems like it serves no other purpose but to confuse young school kids. What other reason could there be for all that old nonsense? It's like some secret masonic handshake - do you understand all the components of a legal throw in? Ahh, then you're in the secret football society. Both hands on the ball, both feet on the ground, trouser leg rolled up around the knee, stroke the other blokes palm and pretend that's normal... Its all just nonsense. Why not go the whole hog: the ball has to be thrown through your own legs whilst you are standing with your back to the pitch with one leg in the air. If you plant your non-standing leg before two other members of your team have touched the ball that counts as a foul and the opposition are immediately awarded a direct free kick. You must do all this whilst wearing a hat emblazoned with the words 'official throw-in taker' and continuously shouting 'Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Kabaddi...' until a second player on your team touches the ball. If not then...(well, you get the message).

If you allowed one-handed throw ins we may as well pack up and go home.
    You'd quickly have 2 teams, with their best hurler throwing the ball from one end to the other.
    A bit like Rory Delap when at Stoke, but far far worse.
    I presume you were joking.
  • Sponsored links:

• As the police might say, its a minor offence - let the game flow, lets not worry about minor technicalities ffs.
  • It's not just the world cup...
    Donkeys years ago we used to have an Irish lad playing for our Saturday team who could throw the ball straight into the six yard box from almost anywhere in the opposition half. We scored loads of goals from it. Only problem was, it was basically a one armed hurl with the second hand on the ball purely to guide it. No-one ever bothered to appeal against it, but we had two refs who used to call it every time he did it, so he never used it when they reffed us. I genuinely think most people don't even know what the foul throw rules are
  • Croatia are the worst for it
  • I know let's do away with the corner quadrants and take the kick from any where along the goal line up to the 18 yard box that would speed things up :smirk: .
  • edited July 2018
    I was running the line once and hadn't realised that following a rule change you could actually have one foot on / partially over the line and I kept flagging for a foul throw until the ref came over and educated me after a complaint from the oppo manager Oops! :blush:
  • edited July 2018

Ball behind your head, two hands, release before its in front of your head.

It aint rocket science, just fckin lazy and taking the piss.

The thrower must have two hands on the ball, it must be thrown from behind and over the head, both feet must be on the ground at the point of release and they must be on or behind the line, and the player must be facing the field of play. Law 15 doesn’t, and never has, mention anything about the point of release. Received wisdom is that it must be released before it reaches the vertical above the head but this is an urban myth.

It must also be thrown from the point where it crossed the line and this is the breach of the law that seriously pisses me off.
  • With so many of the opinions of this thread. I can’t stand it when I see players doing a foul throw. It’s basics and why can the officials not pull them up on it? Might be petty but by constantly doing a foul throw, you are using it to gain an advantage of control. The law is there for a reason. Throw ins have become weapons for teams, tactical use, so do it right and not cheat in a way with purposely doing a foul throw so your mate can control it better or gain an advantage.

Might sound silly but, it annoys me just as much as diving, if I am completely honest.
  • Stig said:

If you allowed one-handed throw ins we may as well pack up and go home.
    You'd quickly have 2 teams, with their best hurler throwing the ball from one end to the other.
    A bit like Rory Delap when at Stoke, but far far worse.
    I presume you were joking.
    I presented my argument in a jokey style, but certainly wasn't joking. I used to watch a lot of Diadora football in the nineties and loved the kick-ins. I don't understand why everyone wants to hold things back. Let's get that ball moving about.
  • RedChaser said:

I think the rules on throw ins changed a couple if years ago, making what we used to consider a foul throw, legal. I'm not entirely sure what the actual changes were, and I still think the one last night was a wrong un. Any refs on here?

Yes, @PeterGage is qualified..
    Not only that, but the fourth official at the Back To The Valley Game