Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diving

I have two Irish friends who reckon last night that England players , dived , play acted , feigned injury virtually as per the Colombian counterparts .

There quote is as follows

rubbish Dave!?!?! incredible comment. Sterling Alli & Kane - integral part of all their games ( diving); in this particular match - for a spell after England scored - Colombia totally lost it, granted, but even then England werent so far behind them. deluded comment, so so sadly comically typical of England’s footballing fraternity.... but it gives the rest of the world such fun

I’m English granted but just don’t see it that way. I thought there was no comparison between the Columbian histrionics and our approach

Am I deluded as per my friends assertion or am I broadly right

Comments

• holyjo said:

I have two Irish friends who reckon last night that England players , dived , play acted , feigned injury virtually as per the Colombian counterparts .

There quote is as follows

rubbish Dave!?!?! incredible comment. Sterling Alli & Kane - integral part of all their games ( diving); in this particular match - for a spell after England scored - Colombia totally lost it, granted, but even then England werent so far behind them. deluded comment, so so sadly comically typical of England’s footballing fraternity.... but it gives the rest of the world such fun

I’m English granted but just don’t see it that way. I thought there was no comparison between the Columbian histrionics and our approach

Am I deluded as per my friends assertion or am I broadly right

None at all, petty fuckers who probably "support" a big English team.
  • What did they have to say about Trippier (I think?) going down in the box and waving a finger straight after to the ref to say it was no pen?

Your mates are deluded and possibly just a wee bit jealous.
  • What did they have to say about Trippier (I think?) going down in the box and waving a finger straight after to the ref to say it was no pen?

Yeah was Maguire who did that, was a poor dive from him yet credit to get straight back up and do that to the ref

Cant imagine any South American sides doing that

Yeah was Maguire who did that, was a poor dive from him yet credit to get straight back up and do that to the ref

I'm not sure Maguire dived per se I think he was expecting contact and was on his way down anyway but as you say he was totally honest about it.
  • RedChaser said:

What did they have to say about Trippier (I think?) going down in the box and waving a finger straight after to the ref to say it was no pen?

I'm not sure Maguire dived per se I think he was expecting contact and was on his way down anyway but as you say he was totally honest about it.
    Yeah I fully suspect that was the reason for going down yet never understand that approach from players, just take the tackle and go down that way, either they'll get the ball (no foul) or you'll get a penalty
  • RedChaser said:

What did they have to say about Trippier (I think?) going down in the box and waving a finger straight after to the ref to say it was no pen?

Or he was being smart and trying to avoid getting a yellow from the ref. Stuff can be interpreted in different ways.
  • RedChaser said:

Yeah I fully suspect that was the reason for going down yet never understand that approach from players, just take the tackle and go down that way, either they'll get the ball (no foul) or you'll get a penalty
    It's the situation where they look for a leg to go over and throw themselves to the floor that does my head in.
  • Well. My mate is a Spurs fan and he was screaming for us to give the ball to Alli late on in the second half as he is “our best diver - even when only 80% fit”.
  • I don't think we was diving at the beginning of the game but towards the end we was frustrated and running the clock down, from what I remember Young went down a bit easy & Trippier fell to the ground without much contact which we got a foul for but we wasn't that bad I don't remember Alli going to ground only when he got a kick in the crown jewels accidentally. Think our players like Lingard, Sterling, Young & Alli etc are a bit lightweight sometimes and get fouls for this but most teams have players like that and foreign refs give them the foul.

Plus all of the other home nations are bitter and currently changing their social media bios from the Columbian flag to a Sweden one!
  • Red_James said:

I don't think we was diving at the beginning of the game but towards the end we was frustrated and running the clock down, from what I remember Young went down a bit easy & Trippier fell to the ground without much contact which we got a foul for but we wasn't that bad I don't remember Alli going to ground only when he got a kick in the crown jewels accidentally. Think our players like Lingard, Sterling, Young & Alli etc are a bit lightweight sometimes and get fouls for this but most teams have players like that and foreign refs give them the foul.

Plus all of the other home nations are bitter and currently changing their social media bios from the Columbian flag to a Sweden one!

Tony Watt is going to need to find a new club soon else he's going to run out of money spending all his money on DVDs and opposition National Team shirts
  • Sponsored links:

• Pity the referee or other officials didn’t pick up on the Colombian players scuffing and trying to disrupt the penalty spot before Kane took his penalty while the other Colombian players mobbed the referee.

Players and teams like Colombia make me sick. Talented certainly but just cheats and a disgrace to a mans sport.

I hope none of the England players shook hands at the end. I would have told them to fuck off.
  • was Maguire saying no penalty or saying the ref got it wrong?

if he was saying no pen would he have done it if a penalty had been given?

regardless of the answer to those questions he dived.

England players were demanding VAR replays and hounding the ref. even after the ref had booked the Columbian for that "headbutt" on Henderson, young would not accept the decision and continued harassing him.

I'm not saying England were as bad or worse that the Columbians but they are guilty of the same tactics.

• edited July 2018
    To me it looked like we were on a mission to wind them up and it worked although I thought one or two attempts were lucky not to have earned a yellow card imo...

England players were demanding VAR replays and hounding the ref. even after the ref had booked the Columbian for that "headbutt" on Henderson, young would not accept the decision and continued harassing him.

I'm not saying England were as bad or worse that the Columbians but they are guilty of the same tactics.

Who knows what he really meant ?

If you can take a look at the incident again. His toe was definitely caught.

That wasn't a dive he was avoiding putting his foot in, if it were a dive, he'd have played up to it.

Elsewhere the tackle on Lingard was a penalty as the defender caught Lingard's foot mid stride taking him off balance.

It looked a dive on the first few replays.

But he got up immediately - if he was saying no ref you got it wrong he would have stayed down at least for a few seconds wouldn't he...? Players are allowed to lose their footing without being accused of diving aren't they? It was clear he fell over, got up straight away and waved his finger at the ref whilst the ball was still in play. He didn't come scurrying up to the ref shouting and hollering he played on. Don't know how anyone could interpret that any differently really.
  • edited July 2018

was Maguire saying no penalty or saying the ref got it wrong?

But he got up immediately - if he was saying no ref you got it wrong he would have stayed down at least for a few seconds wouldn't he...? Players are allowed to lose their footing without being accused of diving aren't they? It was clear he fell over, got up straight away and waved his finger at the ref whilst the ball was still in play. He didn't come scurrying up to the ref shouting and hollering he played on. Don't know how anyone could interpret that any differently really.
    they are indeed, he didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTG7jfkKVh8

that doesn't seem to be working but if you think he lost his footing , you drink too much.