Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yosemite NP

2»

Comments

• Options

JWADDICK said:

But make sure you look out for the matabooboos

OK I'll bite and put you out of our misery - What's a matabooboo?
    Nothing Yogi.
    Correct, but I was gonna add a photo -

• Options
    Addickted said:

Don't go.

It's a fecking massive super volcano, well overdue an eruption and with increasing severe geometric signs since 2004. It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.

Enjoy :smiley:

Isnt that Yellowstone Park ?
  • Options
    Amazing scenery and peacefulness. It's probably 20 years since we went but I also remember hiring some bikes for the bike trails and canoes for the river. It was hard to believe how many people were supposed to visit the park as we hardly saw anyone.
  • Options

But make sure you look out for the matabooboos

Keep an eye out for piecosts too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Uboat said:

Thanks JohnBoy. Looks like I'm going to be able to do most of that.

Have you used a RV before? The one thing I would say, empty your tanks at every opportunity. Both the grey tank (sink and shower) and the black (the pit of evil) fill up a lot quicker than you expect, speaking from experience lol.

As soon as you get your RV, drive to the nearest Walmart. Buy a mattress topper. You do not want to be sleeping on a rubber mattress.

If you do go via Nevada afterwards, especially Death Valley, be prepared to melt in the RV as most of the aircon only works when the engine is running. After one sleepness night in the high 30Cs, we made a run for Vegas a day early.

We drove LA > San Fran via Santa Barbara, Monterrey amd San Jose along the PCH, picked up the RV in San Fran then done Napa, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley then dropped the RV off in Vegas.

So if you're stopping in any of them places and need any suggestions, send a PM.

Will leave you with one more shot. Of our RV in Artists Drive in Death Valley. No idea why they call it Artists Drive...

Short for Piss Artists Drive.
  • Options
    Beautiful place, but huge. My two best memories were the peacefulness of Tuolumne Meadow and the serene sequoia trees at Mariposa Grove
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PeterGage said:

Addickted said:

Don't go.

It's a fecking massive super volcano, well overdue an eruption and with increasing severe geometric signs since 2004. It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.

Yes. Yellowstone equally as beautiful. Sat in a volcanic stream that was like sitting in a hot bath. Amazing place. Also saw an absolutely beautiful snake there. And one hike I turned a blind corner and black bear was about 10 feet ahead of me eating it’s lunch. Thankfully I think it knew I was coming since it looked up to me, blinked, and went back to eating. Think it helps I was in a group of 11 people too.
  • Options
    Watch the sun go down from Glacier Point.
    Have lunch in the hotel that used to be the Awahnee. Real old style.
    If there are any climbers on the face of El Capitan you’ll need strong binoculars to see them, but you can see their lights at night as they camp out on the bare rock face. Scary thought.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Addickted said:

Don't go.

Yes. Yellowstone equally as beautiful. Sat in a volcanic stream that was like sitting in a hot bath. Amazing place. Also saw an absolutely beautiful snake there. And one hike I turned a blind corner and black bear was about 10 feet ahead of me eating it’s lunch. Thankfully I think it knew I was coming since it looked up to me, blinked, and went back to eating. Think it helps I was in a group of 11 people too.
    Yellowstone is just stunning - been there twice Never saw bears but plenty of bison, wolves and many types of antelope, all in their nateral environment.
  • Options
    Natural even
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I've been to Yosemite 10x.

No need to worry about "don'ts", it's very easy to go with the flow. My only don't is "avoid driving once in the park as much as possible."

Bring mosquito spray and sun tan lotion SPF 30 or better.

Bring hiking shoes of some kind. Flip flops or tennis shoes may work at the campground but the trails are rocky and you will need more foot support.

Bring sanitary wipes. The public bathrooms are not kept up that well.

Bring something to carry water and refill it often.

Consider renting bikes, which can be done not far at all from where you will be. You can get around much faster that way. Faster than a car.

Must visits... you can bike to and hike around all of these areas, below.

1. Glacier Point. Insane views of the whole valley. (This one is high up and requires a vehicle. Buses go there.)

2. Ahwahnee Hotel. I think they renamed this hotel but everyone calls it the Ahwahnee. Go for a lunch or breakfast. Need reservations. A piece of history.

3. El Capitan.

4. Yosemite Falls.

5. Half Dome.

Have fun. Yosemite is one of the great places in the USA.
  • Options
    Everything that @NapaAddick says plus Tuolonme Grove to get close up to the enormous sequoias. Visit the valley floor and try to spot the climbers on El Cap but also watch the colours change throughout the day. We were lucky last year as the falls were strong due to heavy snowfall. Yosemite is a stunning place.
  • Options

I absolutely agree with all the suggestions, Yosemite is simply breathtaking.

The one highlight I’ve not seen mentioned is Taft Point, which offers another stunning view over the valley. Parking for RVs is a bit limited up there so you may need to get there early-ish in the day, but it’s well worth the effort.

Enjoy your trip, I’m a little envious.
  • Options
    if you're in or near Yosemite now, please take care
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I was due to be there from Wednesday to Sunday. On Tuesday night I found out that the national park would be evacuated and closed from Wednesday to Sunday. These are the times when being a Charlton fan really pays off. A lifelong ambition dashed at the last minute, but when my wife said, 'Yosemite is closed from Wednesday to Sunday', I replied, 'Of course it is', and went back to my book.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Uboat said:

I was due to be there from Wednesday to Sunday. On Tuesday night I found out that the national park would be evacuated and closed from Wednesday to Sunday. These are the times when being a Charlton fan really pays off. A lifelong ambition dashed at the last minute, but when my wife said, 'Yosemite is closed from Wednesday to Sunday', I replied, 'Of course it is', and went back to my book.

In my mind the late goals against MK Dons and Donny and Blackpool from last season just flashed through your mind.

Absolutely gutted for you, but happy that you're safe and sound.