Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Canada Day! Who has been to this great country? Roll call for those living here!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Happy Canada Day one and all.

JOHN TAVARES IS A LEAF!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    This is my 7th Canada day since emigrating.

Love this country and this province. Weirdly feel more at home here than I ever did in England.

Happy Canada Day everyone!
  • Options

Happy Canada day from Vancouver island. Been in this beautiful country for ten years now. Marrying a Canadian chick in November, think I'm here for good.

Whereabouts on the Island ? I have family there.

Moved to Nanaimo earlier this year from Victoria.
    Don't blame you mate, never been too keen on Pimlico.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Working for a Canadian bank so celebrated Canada day on Friday at work with pots of Strawberry’s covered in white chocolate. Not sure if that is a Canadian thing but they went down very nicely!

BMO?

I went to St John's in Newfoundland with work a few years ago.

If I was to describe the place it would be with a shrug of the shoulders.
  • Options
    Happy 151st Birthday Canada, this is our 12th year in Calgary, and love it here - we also love British Columbia and often vacation on the Island which is beautiful!
  • Options
    Happy 150th Canada.

• Options
    Went for week work installing a machine. Regina Saskatchewan -23 degrees average temperature when there people were unfriendly and boring. Not impressed the Philippine imagrants were more friendly.my brother lives out there to in Cockran near Calgary never been but his been there few years Leeds fan though.
  • Options
    Lived in Toronto for two years way back; loved the seasons except the winter when it gets very very cold. Later went to Vancouver with Mascot 88 and that was even better - swim in the morning and snow in the afternoon. Yes Canada (and Australia) should be on all Brits' bucket lists simply to realise that UK is (as Bill Bryson says) just a small island off the coast of Europe.
  • Options
    Happy Canada Day (belated). Been many times - BC is awesome - great camping/kayak trips on Vancouver Island and The Bowron Lakes. Vancouver is a fabulous city also.

Go to Toronto area and Halifax, Nova Scotia regularly as our boys are at university/school there. Try to time Toronto visits with Leafs/Jays games! Been to NB & PEI also. The folks in the Maritimes are some of the friendliest people you could hope to meet. I love Halifax - cool city with great history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off to BC for my second time next month. Got a few days around Sunshine Coast. Any tips on things to do?
  • Options
    Lived in Montreal from age 5 to age 8. Don’t remember a huge amount about it - but fond memories all the same. Seasons all very distinct - freezing cold in winter when it snows late November and you don’t see the ground again until April - but really hot and humid in summer. Canada seems to be a very popular holiday destination at the moment.
  • Options

Happy Canada Day one and all.

JOHN TAVARES IS A LEAF!

Massive, massive move by Toronto. Instant cup contender - provided the media don't get on his or Babcock's back the first time they lose back to back games. How the Islanders must wish they'd got him to shit or get off the pot early last season. They could have used him as trade bait for a playoff contender. Instead, he walks for nothing as a FA. Yet another disgrace from one of the worst managed franchises in the NHL
  • Options
    When I was eighteen months old in ‘74 we moved to Wheatley, Ontario and lived there till ‘79. Don’t remember much about my time there but do recall swearing allegiance to the Canadian flag in Kindergarten every morning. My mum was just starting the ball rolling on applying for Canadian citizenship when my dad got a job in Yorkshire and the rest, as they say, is history. I’m pretty certain that if I’d got a Canadian passport I wouldn’t be here now.

Visited Canada again in ‘92 where I spent ten days with family friends on Vancouver Island at Port Alice which was amazing and then five days in Vancouver itself which helped cement it as one of the top three cities I’ve ever been to.
  • Options
    Day trip to Quebec about 10 years ago. Was on holiday in Vermont about 5 miles from Canadian border. Surreal quality to the trip, one minute driving in staid Vermont, the next being transported to 'France' with French road signs and speedy drivers. I obviously realised that Quebec is a French speaking state but the instant change felt really odd. Was like going from Folkestone to Calais but with no tunnel/sea in between!

Have relatives in Canada due to emigration from Ulster to Ontario in the late 1800s.
  • Options
    My Father was born in Springhill. Nova Scotia ( hometown of Anne Murray country singer) returned to England after the war to marry my Mum.
  • Options
    I always think of Degrassi Junior High
  • Options

Went for week work installing a machine. Regina Saskatchewan -23 degrees average temperature when there people were unfriendly and boring. Not impressed the Philippine imagrants were more friendly.my brother lives out there to in Cockran near Calgary never been but his been there few years Leeds fan though.

To be fair, basing your opinion of Canada on a week i Regina would be like basing your opinion of England on a week in Coventry.
  • Options
    Just did a little 6 hour drive to drop my daughter off at a Cross Country Skiing summer trainng camp in a beautful town called Kaslo in the interior of British Colombia. A cluster of houses and cabins, some summer season restaurants & lodges for the campers. Beautiful isolated place, mountains, forests, lakes for hundreds of miles in every direction. The thing that struck me though was the war memorial in the centre of town with a list of the fallen from 1914-1918. Amazing how far that war reached and how it really was the birth of Canada as a nation - closer to home & on the same theme if you ever get the chance go to Vimy Ridge near Arras - a really moving place & pvotal to the identity of this country.
  • Options
    Checking in from Toronto! The centre of the universe :p
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So is that where we get the comment sent to Canada from like Coventry. I suppose living in -23 degrees and in a place that looks like the moon.you would be misrable. Perhaps if I go back to some of the nice parts they might be a bit more happy. Mind you it can’t help wearing water melons on your head in that temperature they might of had brain freeze.
  • Options
    I'd give it another chance...never been to Regina but loved Vancouver, The Rockies, Quebec City, Toronto, Nova Scotia, Winnipeg, Newfoundland, Churchill (polar Bears) and the Yukon. Maybe Regina is the exception that proves the rule. I've never been to Saskatchewan, but anywhere with a town called Moose Jaw can't be totally written off.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I'd give it another chance...never been to Regina but loved Vancouver, The Rockies, Quebec City, Toronto, Nova Scotia, Winnipeg, Newfoundland, Churchill (polar Bears) and the Yukon. Maybe Regina is the exception that proves the rule. I've never been to Saskatchewan, but anywhere with a town called Moose Jaw can't be totally written off.

I’ve travelled the prairies a lot - Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, Regina, Saskatoon, Yorkton, Brandon, Winnipeg etc & while they have their charms - some interesting history, unique environment, friendly people, big sky, slow pace of life, feeling that you are living in a world 30 years behind the current times - I couldn’t for a moment live there.