Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Yeaaa here come the attacks!!... Thomas has gone after Dumoulin; Froome and Martin have gone after Thomas

Bardet | Nibali | Quintana left for dust!!
  • Christ almighty!!... the attack from Froome just as they go under the 1km banner is something to watch tonight

Thomas v Froome could become an excellent battle this year if SKY let it happen
  • edited July 2018
    YES GERAINT!!!!!!!

Argh Dumoulin stops it being a GB one / two on the stage with Froome getting third (Who'll still go second in the standings)

Just hope that (1) Geraint is allowed to race (2) He doesnt burn out come the third week like he did a few years ago
  • Brilliant by Sky
  • Thomas now leads Froome by 1min 24secs who is 20secs ahead of Dumoulin

You'd think that the battle is now between those three seeing that Nibali is over 2mins behind and Bardet nearly 3mins down

If the top three get any closer then then Time Trial on the last real day will be interesting as all three can certainly record good times
  • Great ride from Thomas.
  • Great stage. Could G do it? Will they let him?
  • Yes. No.
  • loved that stage. Froome is a beast, G is a beast

really pleased to see G in yellow
  • Shame to see Cavendish out, shows how much respect he has for the Tour... As Boardman said, anyone over an hour down would climb out of the saddle
  • Sponsored links:

• Couldn't get to see the stage so held off checking until I watched the highlights. Fantastic ride by GT and the Sky team. Would really love to be a fly on the wall in the Sky team now that GT has over a minutes advantage and looked so strong. Publicly saying he's not no.1 in the team but he's gotta be fancying his chances. Looking forward to tomorrows stage, will be interesting.
  • stonemuse said:

Addickted said:

The cobbled stage yesterday was a bit of a farce - all a bit of a lottery. A great spectacle but not sure what it tests?

I disagree. Surely it tests lots of things including courage, resilience and determination (as do many other stages) but primarily bike handling?

Other stages favour climbers, time triallers or sprinters. As a non-cyclist admittedly, I assume a stage like that is a test of something else (cobblers I hear you say...) and for the spectator adds another dimension too.

My wife has been on a bike about 3 times in her life yet loves to watch the tours and both of us watched the whole stage and really enjoyed it. The TDF is a great spectacle agreed and stages like that add hugely to our enjoyment. I guess it goes to whether you think the Tour should be designed for the competitors or the viewers or a bit of both I suppose.

Anyway I'm in awe of these guys that can race on surfaces like that and can't wait for the mountains to come which will be a diffent thing again.
    I just think it's a bit of a lottery and compromises the race - it's certainly a spectacle but it's a road race which I think the cobbled section detracts from. I don't really think it's a fair test - the riders on the tour seem divided on it.
    It's not a road race. It's Le Tour.

Would you remove the backstroke from the individual medley? The LBW law in Cricket? Forward passes I RFU? Or heaven forbid the Offside Law?

Precisely. It’s about who is best on the road, be it sprint, cobbles, mountain or whatever.
    I don't think it's a great test for the bikes that are fairly obviously not designed for the cobbled stretch - lots of punctures and crashes. I still see this type of stage as a lottery - we all see it differently.
    They'll all be riding bikes that are designed for the cobbles - they don't ride the same bike each day. Cobbles are as much a part of bike racing as sprints and mountains.
    Early tour riders craved cobbles.
  • Shame to see Cavendish out, shows how much respect he has for the Tour... As Boardman said, anyone over an hour down would climb out of the saddle

He finishes most tdf's he's in. Which for a sprinter is extremely respectful.
  • DRAddick said:

Couldn't get to see the stage so held off checking until I watched the highlights. Fantastic ride by GT and the Sky team. Would really love to be a fly on the wall in the Sky team now that GT has over a minutes advantage and looked so strong. Publicly saying he's not no.1 in the team but he's gotta be fancying his chances. Looking forward to tomorrows stage, will be interesting.

Should be allowed to go it alone... i.e. Froome gets the seven team mates for now with Thomas working alone or with one Domestique

If Froome doesnt start to gain time on Thomas by the end then he and the rest of the team then support Thomas
  • Tough for the other teams now ... they can’t just concentrate on Froome.

Fascinating scenario.

My only worry is G crashing out, but he is having a terrific 2018 season, so fingers crossed.

This could prove to be one of the better Tours.

Dumoulin will be very interesting tomorrow ... has he overblown it or can he still go further.
  • edited July 2018
    Reading through Le Tours official Facebook posts is hilarious. So many bitter foreigners, especially French.

I know there's no French rider capable of winning it at the moment, but hypothetically I wonder if Sky had a French rider who dominated a stage and led the GC they would be so vocal and dismissive?
  • DRAddick said:

Reading through Le Tours official Facebook posts is hilarious. So many bitter foreigners, especially French.

I know there's no French rider capable of winning it at the moment, but hypothetically I wonder if Sky had a French rider who dominated a stage and led the GC they would be so vocal and dismissive?

Bardet is probably their best hope and could be competitive if AG2r were as strong as SKY

Read an interesting comment today on one of the Live Updates... Really amazes me that the opposition teams dont all do deals (like in the 80s and 90s) and gang up on SKY - Instead like the last few years the majority seem resigned that they cant challenge so are more interested in ensuring they still end up on the podium come the end of the Tour

Certainly seemed the case when Martin and Froome attacked as the rest of the peleton simply looked at each other yet then decided to try and limit SKY's gains by sprinting in the final km
  • Cavendish looked well p'd off when he crossed the line. Little shoulder nudge on a cameraman/bystander as he went past was a bit naughty.
  • Great stage today, have just watched the hi lights, G looked strong didn’t he. Shame about Cav but looking at his body language since the start I am not surprised, his heart did not look in it this year.

Roll on tomorrow, see if we can spot Leroy on the Alp.
  • Sponsored links:

• DRAddick said:

Cavendish looked well p'd off when he crossed the line. Little shoulder nudge on a cameraman/bystander as he went past was a bit naughty.
    I thought it was the reverse with the cameraman standing in the middle of the road and not getting his arse out the way
  • Will keep an eye out for those banners today

Working from home deliberately to see Alpe D'Huez today
  • Assume they will be going up Alpe-d'Huez this year?

Yeah Stage 12... (19th July)

Team Time Trial will also be returning this year (Stage Three)

Assume they will be going up Alpe-d'Huez this year?

They bloody better - I've booked to stay at Bourg d'Oisans that week :lol:

Love the Dimension Data launch

Assume they will be going up Alpe-d'Huez this year?

They bloody better - I've booked to stay at Bourg d'Oisans that week :lol:

Love the Dimension Data launch
    Stayed at the campsite there in 2015, lovely part of the world.
  • Dont know if its just tiredness but Cav doesnt sound well in the below interview, almost like he's carrying a cold or sore throat
  • Choppers on tour...

I will keep an eye out for you Leroy. Failing that I will pay close attention to the back ground noise. If I hear an English voice fucking & blinding I will know you are close :wink:
  • Wonderful scenery.
  • Dont think Cavendish should feel too bad about quitting the Tour now

Griepel and Groenewegen have both gone today which basically leaves Sagan and Gaviria left out of the all the Sprinters (Unless I'm missing someone?)
  • edited July 2018

Dont think Cavendish should feel too bad about quitting the Tour now

Griepel and Groenewegen have both gone today which basically leaves Sagan and Gaviria left out of the all the Sprinters (Unless I'm missing someone?)

Scratch that... Gaviria has now quit!!

Champs Elysee is going to be rather interesting this year
  • Dont think Cavendish should feel too bad about quitting the Tour now

Scratch that... Gaviria has now quit!!

Champs Elysee is going to be rather interesting this year
    It'll be someone somewhat random like Boasson Hagen winning the sprint, I presume. Maybe a breakaway rider, which would be amazing, but I doubt it.