Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Have dd got 3 sprinters?

Who are the other two (along with Cav) as Boassen Hagen is more of a medium terrain type rider these days and will go for the breakaways a lot I reckon whilst Renshaw is a sprinter but isnt World Class hence him being the ultimate lead out man

I guess the team could be completely setup around getting Cav the fives wins to break the record i.e. no Cummings for the mountain stages, so are concentrating on the lead out train whilst also covering themselves if there are either fitness issues for Cav or if there is a repeat of last year with Sagan
  • Options
    Not really. Renshaw is a pure leadout man and Boasson-Hagen isn't a 'sprinter' in the traditional sense of the word
  • Options

Not really. Renshaw is a pure leadout man and Boasson-Hagen isn't a 'sprinter' in the traditional sense of the word

Ta they are the 3 I ment, I know renshaw is cavs lead out man. Wasn't boasson-hagen a sprinter at sky?
  • Options
    Reading all the bitter cycling fans comments on twitter and FB is funny. They're worse that Footie fans.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Reading all the bitter cycling fans comments on twitter and FB is funny. They're worse that Footie fans.

Yeh wont be surprised if most of them are French

They've the best cycle race in the world but cant find a Frenchman to win it, with Froome gone they maybe stood a chance yet still think Porte could be a big challenger this year again
  • Options
    Just the Boss to lead out for Cav. They really want him to beat Merckx's record this year, with only one climber in their team

Vermote and Thomson are there to take out Sagan
  • Options
    Some good teams there ... Sky and Movistar look particularly strong.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Yeh wont be surprised if most of them are French

They've the best cycle race in the world but cant find a Frenchman to win it, with Froome gone they maybe stood a chance yet still think Porte could be a big challenger this year again
    Porte looking good so far this year.
  • Options
    The French are putting everything on Romain Bardet, with Pierre Latour killing himself to put in some early tempting challenges and be Bardet's last man standing throughout.

What has Nairo Quintana been doing race wise this year? He still probably the best climber out there.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The French are putting everything on Romain Bardet, with Pierre Latour killing himself to put in some early tempting challenges and be Bardet's last man standing throughout.

What has Nairo Quintana been doing race wise this year? He still probably the best climber out there.

3rd at the Tour de Suisse so could just be coming into form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Just the Boss to lead out for Cav. They really want him to beat Merckx's record this year, with only one climber in their team

Vermote and Thomson are there to take out Sagan

Mark Renshaw will be his final lead out man, always been the case
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Can't believe how much I've got into bike racing as the only thing I get on with a saddle nowadays is a horse.

Find the whole thing a technical masterpiece, the tactics are amazing - having to second guess what team is going for what on what day. The sheer power, stamina and resilience of individual cyclists I find amazing.

Never knowing if the break aways are going to do it and watching those gaps come down KM by Km. Gasping at the falls, desperately trying to see that it's not your hero. Watching the individual breakaways and the pack slowly real them back in.

And then seeing the absolutely incredible like Froome's mountain break away in the Giro to win the title.

From knowing one team - I know recognise all the team colours and know who is in what team and what job they do.

Amazing how British victories in what was always appeared to be a minority sport can change your whole attitude to a sport. I actually try to avoid cyclists on the road nowadays.

Great summary of how I feel about it too.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Can't believe how much I've got into bike racing as the only thing I get on with a saddle nowadays is a horse.

Find the whole thing a technical masterpiece, the tactics are amazing - having to second guess what team is going for what on what day. The sheer power, stamina and resilience of individual cyclists I find amazing.

Never knowing if the break aways are going to do it and watching those gaps come down KM by Km. Gasping at the falls, desperately trying to see that it's not your hero. Watching the individual breakaways and the pack slowly real them back in.

And then seeing the absolutely incredible like Froome's mountain break away in the Giro to win the title.

From knowing one team - I know recognise all the team colours and know who is in what team and what job they do.

Amazing how British victories in what was always appeared to be a minority sport can change your whole attitude to a sport. I actually try to avoid cyclists on the road nowadays.

That makes it sound like you're not always successful?
  • Options
    Cav's views on the up coming tour stages on the BBC site here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44576490

• Options
    edited July 2018

Like how he backs himself for some of the stages... Disagree with his comments that the Sprinters dont often get the chance to wear the Yellow Jersey yet it feels as though its been a Sprint Stage (rather than a Time Trial) for a few years now

Interesting as well that he doesnt tip Kittel to win any stages (Definitely a rivalry there), dont see that not happening sadly
  • Options

Good read
  • Options
    Been a strange opening couple of days. Lots of silly crashes which have just happened to involve most of the important riders at important times. Can't read anything into the race yet.
  • Options
    G is safely up there. TTT will sort a lot out tomorrow.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Been a strange opening couple of days. Lots of silly crashes which have just happened to involve most of the important riders at important times. Can't read anything into the race yet.

Amazing how 'elbows' Sagan manages to avoid them all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are any of the teams using disc brakes this year?
  • Options
    Plenty of them.
  • Options
    With GT being about a minute ahead of Froome, be interesting to see if there's any team tactics in the coming days. With the 1st mountain stage next Tuesday they may just leave it to see how things are going with each rider after that stage.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

With GT being about a minute ahead of Froome, be interesting to see if there's any team tactics in the coming days. With the 1st mountain stage next Tuesday they may just leave it to see how things are going with each rider after that stage.

Also allows SKY to double cross their opponents though, can use either Froome or Thomas as a decoy to force their rivals into attacks as they wont be sure who the real main man is
  • Options
    Their main man is 100% Froome. At least until he's not in a position to win it. Sky want to be able to hold all three Tours in the same season.

You can bet GT has been promised it next year.
  • Options
    I was surprised to see Sagan struggling today in the TTT. He must have been saving his legs for the Green Jersey
  • Options
    Got a feeling this tour is going to be one of the best purely because of the crashes on stage 1. Means there should be alot more attacking from various riders. Gonna be difficult to keep an eye on them all.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Are any of the teams using disc brakes this year?

Not as good as the pedal back brakes on my Strika
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Driving back from Paris on Saturday so going to stop off at Amiens for the stage finish. Anyone got any idea on parking? If I remember rightly Amiens has a sort of ring road to the West, where you can park outside some apartment buildings. There's a good map/guide on the city website if anyone goes:

https://www.amiens.fr/Grands-projets/Amiens-cet-ete/Amiens-ca-va-defiler/Assister-a-l-etape2
  • Options

I was surprised to see Sagan struggling today in the TTT. He must have been saving his legs for the Green Jersey

Well he certainly saved then for stage 5, the man is a beast.