Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

'Who else is on the team'? - Brilliant!

Whilst one of them stands right next to him lol!
  • Options
    Agreed. The ITV cycling coverage is excellent. Puts the football lot to shame.
  • Options
    Probably helps that ITV only Eurosport to worry about in terms of rivals for showing cycling.

Means between them they get the pick of the bunch wheras when BBC get to host it (RideLondon) they just throw out the standard Olympic Commentators... Of course didnt help them today with Dave Miller and Boardman still out in France but their coverage team was shite, the way they covered the Sprint I thought it was just starting yet then the riders crossed the line, just seemed zero emotion from Brotherton etc.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for the Vuelta now ... four more weeks :smiley:
  • Options

Probably helps that ITV only Eurosport to worry about in terms of rivals for showing cycling.

Means between them they get the pick of the bunch wheras when BBC get to host it (RideLondon) they just throw out the standard Olympic Commentators... Of course didnt help them today with Dave Miller and Boardman still out in France but their coverage team was shite, the way they covered the Sprint I thought it was just starting yet then the riders crossed the line, just seemed zero emotion from Brotherton etc.

Boardman announcing tonight it was his last coverage of the Tour ... big pity.
  • Options
    i watch eurosport over itv all day long !
  • Options
    Backed Froome, but so pleased Thomas won.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Pleased for Dan Martin, half expected, and wouldn't have been upset, to have seen it awarded to Chavanel. Today's tribute was quality, and will have done Sky significant good in the eyes of French fans.
  • Options
    So, Thomas parades the Welsh flag behind him wheres in previous years Froome has paraded the Union Jack.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Boardman announcing tonight it was his last coverage of the Tour ... big pity.
    WTF!!... thats a shame, wonder who'll replace him
  • Options

So, Thomas parades the Welsh flag behind him wheres in previous years Froome has paraded the Union Jack.

No one brought a Kenya flag with them.....
  • Options

Froome is British by adoption. Thomas Welsh by birth.
  • Options
    Thomas is the first British born winner of the race.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Stig said:

felt really pleased for Thomas especially when questioned by the press yesterday he broke down in tears. I'm sure even the French fans would appreciate how much it means to him to win the Tour.

on a side note, apart from the inevitable advert breaks, I really think ITV do a great job with their intelligent and professional coverage of the Tour. been doing great work for years now. David Millar with his insights and honesty. Ned Boulting with his measured delivery and of course the slick and funny Gary Imlach. shame they do such a crap job on their football coverage.

Agreed about the ITV coverage, which is amazing really as I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something else they do well and can't think of a thing.
    The news? ;-)
  • Options
    Not the Tour yet RideLondon yesterday...
  • Options
    Looks like Mark Cavendish is taking a break for the immediate future

Hope this isnt the end of his career yet seeing the issue is glandular fever again it seems he wont recover from it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45340482
  • Options
    I think it makes sense that he takes a break.

Never write him off but this could be tough to get back to the top again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Can’t wait for the Vuelta now ... four more weeks :smiley:

Very open this year and some great stage wins.

Looking extremely possible for Yates, but the Quintana/Valverde combination is very strong.
  • Options
    Been a great couple of days racing in the mountains.
  • Options
    Yup, been good to watch.

Yates fell back after his great TT effort in the Giro earlier in the year. Hopefully won’t happen again. I doubt it will as he doesn’t need to keep Dumoulin at bay this time.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Yup, been good to watch.

Yates fell back after his great TT effort in the Giro earlier in the year. Hopefully won’t happen again. I doubt it will as he doesn’t need to keep Dumoulin at bay this time.

Yep. He's the best TTer of anyone still involved at the pointy end (Valverde might be slightly better, but he's not a serious overall contender, unless he gets a visit from a special doctor...)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Doh! Can't believe I posted this here rather than on the Vuelta thread.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Doh! Can't believe I posted this here rather than on the Vuelta thread.
    tut tut :wink:
  • Options

Looks like Mark Cavendish is taking a break for the immediate future

Hope this isnt the end of his career yet seeing the issue is glandular fever again it seems he wont recover from it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45340482

Has signed a new Contract with Team Dimension Data

Sounds as well as though he's been cleared of the Epstein-Barr virus so has returned to training - Hoping this slowly sees a return of the old Cavendish we enjoy seeing in the sprints although wont be surprised if he still struggles purely due to age now
  • Options
    is it still 4 more stage wins he needs to get on level terms with Eddy Merckx?
  • Options

is it still 4 more stage wins he needs to get on level terms with Eddy Merckx?

Yup...