Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

I’m convinced all this James injury stuff is mind games and he will definitely start.

Question is whether you take the gamble and risk him then being out for longer if they progress.

I think he'll be sub and come on after 55-60 minutes if it's not going well. From what i've read he hasn't even trained since their last game
  • Options
    Would be interesting, though there's usually no pressure on goalkeepers with penalties but that would add some.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

****WEIRD DREAM ALERT***

Had a dream the Cuadrado burst through and scored, and Harry Maguire complained he couldn't catch him as one of their players attached a bungee rope to his shorts.

Didnt see the final score unfortunately

It was 5-1 to us. The Queen scored the fourth with a terrific scissors kick, Sooty got one and Basil Brush scored a hat-trick!
    Now you are talking bollocks, Basil Brush has already been capped by Wales.
  • Options

Dare to dream

Sterling has turned in to Arnold from Different Strokes.
    Whatcha talking about

Willis?
  • Options

ITV's psychic pig has chosen the winners apples each time (England games).
    He chose England's apples this morning, but once again, he always chooses the apples to his left.

So. IF we keep England's apples on the left? Quick, email to Southgate!
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

'Again it came back to the Iceland game and the mistake many people made of assuming England were set for a quarter-final against France in Paris. Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine'

How the hell did that bloke manage us for two tournaments?!

Do managers actually go to watch other games during a tournament through, as opposed to sending a scout? In this WC especially, the distances would make it pretty difficult.
    To not even watch the game though?
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

'Again it came back to the Iceland game and the mistake many people made of assuming England were set for a quarter-final against France in Paris. Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine'

How would Hodgson have known which game to go to?

Iceland were in a fairly tight group with hungary and Portugal and if either side had won that match, then i don't think we would have played Iceland.
    Still they shouldn't have spent their precious time on sightseeing I suppose? Why not stay in and watch all the games of potential opponents if they didn't know who they would face in the knockout stage? Well, players might need relaxing but managers? It was France, a country just next to England, not some place on the other side of the world they had never been to. Hodgson and co could've chosen any time of the year to go on a boat journey in a country nearby yet they did that before the big game came? :lol: Absolutely ridiculous and they deserved the sack in my opinion.
  • Options

Iceland were in a fairly tight group with hungary and Portugal and if either side had won that match, then i don't think we would have played Iceland.
    Still they shouldn't have spent their precious time on sightseeing I suppose? Why not stay in and watch all the games of potential opponents if they didn't know who they would face in the knockout stage? Well, players might need relaxing but managers? It was France, a country just next to England, not some place on the other side of the world they had never been to. Hodgson and co could've chosen any time of the year to go on a boat journey in a country nearby yet they did that before the big game came? :lol: Absolutely ridiculous and they deserved the sack in my opinion.
    Should've been sacked after the last world cup.
  • Options

There's no suggestion that they didn't watch the game. In fact i'm sure they did.

The article simply says that they chose not to attend the Iceland game, but at that point we didn't know that we'd be playing them so i think to criticise him for that is unfair. He'd have probably also got stick if he'd gone to the Hungary game and then we got Iceland.

We lost because we were utter shit without a game plan and had Kane taking corners, not because he didn't go to an iceland group game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mentally checked out from work for the afternoon. Got to physically stay here until 4pm. Football is coming on at 3.

It’s coming home.
  • Options

There's no suggestion that they didn't watch the game. In fact i'm sure they did.

The article simply says that they chose not to attend the Iceland game, but at that point we didn't know that we'd be playing them so i think to criticise him for that is unfair. He'd have probably also got stick if he'd gone to the Hungary game and then we got Iceland.

We lost because we were utter shit without a game plan and had Kane taking corners, not because he didn't go to an iceland group game.
    Fair enough. I didn't read the whole article. :wink: My main point is, it's unbelievable an English manager would spend time sightseeing in France right before a knockout game...
  • Options
    I think that's a good idea actually. Obviously has the huge height advantage for a penalty shootout but also how unnerving it would be for an attacker to see a goalkeeper who has been pretty much doing nothing other than studying your penalty taking technique.
  • Options

I think that's a good idea actually. Obviously has the huge height advantage for a penalty shootout but also how unnerving it would be for an attacker to see a goalkeeper who has been pretty much doing nothing other than studying your penalty taking technique.
    Personally it’s what the extra 4th substitution in extra time should be used for.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Do managers actually go to watch other games during a tournament through, as opposed to sending a scout? In this WC especially, the distances would make it pretty difficult.
    All that Guardian article said was that Hodgson and Lewington didn't go to the Iceland match, it didn't say that they never watched it.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Can still remember Anderton's goal in 1998 like it was yesterday. I had £20 on him to score first and England win 2-0 @ 50/1. Still my biggest single bet win in the last 20 years and not come close since.

I'd only have put £20 on Anderton, if it was a bet that he'd be injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stuck a 5 quid free bet on england 3-1 come on lads
  • Options

All that Guardian article said was that Hodgson and Lewington didn't go to the Iceland match, it didn't say that they never watched it.
    The evidence is in the performance and the defeat.
  • Options
    JITTERS
  • Options

Kane hat trick
  • Options
    I'm trying to enjoy the last few hours where part of me believes we are going all the way
  • Options
    Raheem Sterling has his 41st chance to proves he's as good as he, his agent, Pep,and Gareth Southgate think he is.

Tonight must be the night or else just another player who doesn't step up to be international class.
  • Options

Raheem Sterling has his 41st chance to proves he's as good as he, his agent, Pep,and Gareth Southgate think he is.

Tonight must be the night or else just another player who doesn't step up to be international class.

Yep, Guardiola, Southgate and every scout in football is wrong and you're right.
  • Options

Yep, Guardiola, Southgate and every scout in football is wrong and you're right.
    Actually I think he is.
  • Options
    2-3 to Colombia due to a dodgy keeper and hesitant defence