Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• I thought it was just me but yes nervous butterflies, and still 10 hours to go but still going with my 3-1 smashing and on to the final, where we tear tge Belguans a new one
  • Easy peasy win cue mass hysteria and expectations, 2 early goals in the 1st half with England comfortable 3-0 winners (fingers & toes all crossed).
  • edited July 2018
    I'm nervous about tonight, mainly because we can see that route to the final but Colombia is a tougher test than any potential quarter final match-up. Let's get past them first and then it's the best chance since '66 we've ever had of winning the World Cup.
  • Our last 3 tournament fixtures against them reads draw, draw, win, so not quite sure where the negativity comes from on this one.

And that was Hodgson's distinctly average 2012 team who beat them.

Such a meaningless comparison though. Not sure how relevant comparing a result in 1998 against them to 2018 is.

They're a quick, counter attacking side but defensively weak. They will cause us problems and may get a goal but we should have enough to overcome them.
    Think he was talking about Sweden
  • No matter how 'easy' we think our route to the final is, Colombia are also thinking exactly the same. The pressure therefore is clearly on for both sides and i'd agree that this match will be harder for either side than the quarter final.
  • Dare to dream

this is the attitude, why not as supporting Charlton we Haven't had nothing to be excited about in a while.
  • IF IF we win the damned thing, I really hope we dont re-create that pose from '66
  • Sponsored links:

• Our last 3 tournament fixtures against them reads draw, draw, win, so not quite sure where the negativity comes from on this one.

And that was Hodgson's distinctly average 2012 team who beat them.

Such a meaningless comparison though. Not sure how relevant comparing a result in 1998 against them to 2018 is.

They're a quick, counter attacking side but defensively weak. They will cause us problems and may get a goal but we should have enough to overcome them.
    Think he was talking about Sweden
    Fair enough - first sentence still applied though. No point comparing performance against teams in past tournaments.
  • This is one of those days that you just want to fast forward to 7pm!
  • So who has the England jitters this morning

Is it excitement

Is it pre match nerves

Is it my colitis

Or is it the dread of years of hurt and the impending abject disappointment of the clock running out as we trail by one goal

I stick with my 2-1 England win prediction and their big bawsy of a 6ft 6 centre half burying a header early doors

The nerves are now established deep in the gut

You and me both, D - very nervous about this one. My gut feel is we either lose 1-0 or win comfortably by 2 or 3.

Early couple of goals needed.
  • England 5-1 Columbia
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

'Again it came back to the Iceland game and the mistake many people made of assuming England were set for a quarter-final against France in Paris. Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine'

How the hell did that bloke manage us for two tournaments?!

Do managers actually go to watch other games during a tournament through, as opposed to sending a scout? In this WC especially, the distances would make it pretty difficult.
  • With this team we a) Have a system devised to be effective in the competition b) Have practised set pieces c) are probably better prepared for penalties than any other side and d) have a natural goalscorer. Ok, we may not have the best players overall, but systems win World Cups - look at Messi's and Ronaldo's World Cup records.

I love the enthusiasm but surely points b and c are meaningless, who doesnt practice set pieces and how do you know how other teams have prepared for pens? Russia seemed to do ok.
    Are you a previous England manager? There is preparing and preparing - There is something called over learning something. It is repetitive/boring but from what I understand, this has been England's approach. Southgate has targeted these areas as being key to winning a world cup. Even if we don't win it, I make him right where decent managers like Hoddle (penalties are a lottery) are wrong!

I get that, and I totally agree Southgate has done a great job and that not practicing pens is madbess, I'm just not sure we can KNOW we've done a better job than all the other teams. I hope you're right though.
  • Some manager's prepare more meticulously than others!
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/02/gareth-southgate-england-avoid-traps-colombia

'Again it came back to the Iceland game and the mistake many people made of assuming England were set for a quarter-final against France in Paris. Hodgson and his assistant, Ray Lewington, did not even bother going to the Iceland-Austria game to make a personal check their next opponents, preferring instead to spend the day sightseeing and going on a boat journey down the river Seine'

Three tournaments.

And keep the stripey ******** down the road up?
  • Sponsored links:

How would Hodgson have known which game to go to?

Iceland were in a fairly tight group with hungary and Portugal and if either side had won that match, then i don't think we would have played Iceland.
  • If Alli plays tonight, he scores.
    Kane scores.
    So England score 2 or more.

No idea what happens at the other end though.
    I can appreciate Southgate might have some apprehension but I hope he doesnt revert to two holding in the middle.

Same team as Panama but Alli back in for RLC please. Not that RLC has done anything wrong btw.
    Would still have Rose on the left but by the sounds of the so-called named penalty takers, looks like Young has got the LWB position now.
  • edited July 2018
    this will be a tough game and a real test of the 'new' England team and set up .. they have to be as canny as they are skilful and be able stand up to provocation without seeking revenge or giving in to it whilst at the same time keeping their collective concentration .. anything I've forgotten ? .. I hope that they are all up for it .. come on England

Do managers actually go to watch other games during a tournament through, as opposed to sending a scout? In this WC especially, the distances would make it pretty difficult.
    There were five days between Iceland's last group game and their match with us so you'd hope he'd have watched tapes of their three Group games

As Gary Neville said prior to this tournament, the team were well aware of the Icelandic long throw and worked on it religiously in training - Sadly it came to the game and all that training went out the window because the two goals that Iceland scored came from throw ins so we should have expected them
  • Tony Watt had been doing his best to make sure England fans of whichever club he signs for will hold him in high regard...

• I've been confident all week that England would beat Colombia, but nerves & doubt have suddenly crept in!
  • edited July 2018
    ITV's psychic pig has chosen the winners apples each time (England games).
    He chose England's apples this morning, but once again, he always chooses the apples to his left.