Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• The Colombian Football Federation (FCF) issued a statement late on Saturday night giving an update on Rodriguez.

"James Rodríguez underwent a scan today which showed that he is suffering from minor edema (swelling caused by an accumulation of fluid) in his right leg, but that there has been no muscle tear," the FCF said.
  • I’m still annoyed we didn’t beat Belgium and therefore play tomorrow when I’m working from home rather than Tuesday when I’m out and about and will probably end up stuck on theM25 listening to Talksport.
    Still it’s better than having to watch ITV....
  • I always think as a football nation, we lack professionalism when push comes to shove. We have a manager who has it in spades and those that don't understand it criticise it. They are the problem, not the manager. But seeing as they have no influence in picking the side, fortunately their influence is limited. Of course when we beat Colombia - which we will, everybody will be getting excited again!
  • Nonsense. Bale could have contributed significantly to our goal tally but his lack of patriotism keeps him away. Disgraceful.
  • Pickford doesn't look like a real goalkeeper, his positioning is all over the shop, he looks small (though apparently 6' 1") and generally unathletic.

We all got carried away after spanking a poor Panama, but my god that Belgium game was a return to business as usual for England playing tournament football. Like Charlton in recent years, no strength in depth, and probably only Kane is truly world class.

I know I predicted failure to get out of the group, but I can't see a win against Colombia.

Hopefully you'll be predicting that you can't see us beating Uruguay in the final in a couple of weeks' time.
  • edited July 2018
    I think Pickford is athletic - 6 ft 1" is fine for a keeper - the best keeper I have ever seen at his peak was Peter Shilton. He was 6ft 0".

Pickford's strengths are his distribution and shot stopping, he sometimes needs to look at parrying balls wide rather than straight ahead, but you can pick faults in most keepers! I consider him solid and that is important!
  • I think Pickford is athletic - 6 ft 1" is fine for a keeper - the best keeper I have ever seen at his peak was Peter Shilton. He was 6ft 0".

Pickford's strengths are his distribution and shot stopping, he sometimes needs to look at parrying balls wide rather than straight ahead, but you can pick faults in most keepers! I consider him solid and that is important!

Can I just say, my memories of Shilton was that he was bloody awful. Granted I only remember him from the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s. Didnt see him earlier than that.

I remember Gazza smacking a hat trick of free kicks past him in one game (think it was Spurs v Derby) and he didnt get near any of them. He didnt get close to the pens in the Italia '90 semi.

Hart, Clemence, Seaman & even David James at their peak all better than him by a country mile.

Thats just my memories of him. No doubt those older than 42 year old me will put me right.
  • edited July 2018
    I saw him earlier than that and believe me he was brilliant. I'm 53. He was in his 40s at Italia 90!
  • Pickford to me didn't fill me confidence against Belgium, but then at the moment nobody is a standout as England's No1
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw him earlier than that and believe me he was brilliant. I'm 53. He was in his 40s at Italia 90!

ok, I realised I did see him later in his career. There would be a reason why he won over 100 caps lol
  • Fumbluff said:

I’m still annoyed we didn’t beat Belgium and therefore play tomorrow when I’m working from home rather than Tuesday when I’m out and about and will probably end up stuck on theM25 listening to Talksport.
    Still it’s better than having to watch ITV....

That's what video recorders are for, or even something a bit more modern.
  • Doesn't Shilton hold the record for clean sheets in World cup matches?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I saw him earlier than that and believe me he was brilliant. I'm 53. He was in his 40s at Italia 90!

ok, I realised I did see him later in his career. There would be a reason why he won over 100 caps lol
    For me in was a travesty he didn't win more. Ron Greenwood alternated him and Clemence. Clemence was a great keeper but Shilton was better!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I think Pickford is athletic - 6 ft 1" is fine for a keeper - the best keeper I have ever seen at his peak was Peter Shilton. He was 6ft 0".

Can I just say, my memories of Shilton was that he was bloody awful. Granted I only remember him from the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s. Didnt see him earlier than that.

I remember Gazza smacking a hat trick of free kicks past him in one game (think it was Spurs v Derby) and he didnt get near any of them. He didnt get close to the pens in the Italia '90 semi.

Hart, Clemence, Seaman & even David James at their peak all better than him by a country mile.

Thats just my memories of him. No doubt those older than 42 year old me will put me right.
    Leicester sold Banks to Stoke because they had Shilton. Banks was the best 'keeper in the world once Yashin had started to decline so that tells you the high regard in which Shilton was held.

(I also don't think Pickford looks like a proper 'keeper, he makes me think of the unathletic kid who's stuck in goal during the lunch-time footie.)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

He was brilliant for Forest when they won the League. Probably one of Clough's best ever signings.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

For me in was a travesty he didn't win more. Ron Greenwood alternated him and Clemence. Clemence was a great keeper but Shilton was better!
    Clemence was first choice for a while wasn't he? I think he got 60 caps, so Shilts could have had 150 caps easily. I think his error v Poland cost him his place for a few years.
  • edited July 2018
    Banks was 6ft 1" - It is a big error in the game writing off lads who are not giants - they do have to compensate for their lack of inches but those who do are generally the best keepers.

I have often thought how easy it would be for an African country to develop a keeping programme and produce keepers that address a major deficiency they have. I'd love to run a project like that - even women's football where technically able keepers could make a massive difference.

What I would look for first is concentration - so any kids that can't concentrate in class would be out no matter how tall they were. You can work on the rest from there - keeping is a very technical position.
  • I saw him earlier than that and believe me he was brilliant. I'm 53. He was in his 40s at Italia 90!

Peter Shilton was playing for Leicester in my first ever game at Charlton in 1969.
    Well, it means something to me, although I'm not quite sure what.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

JohnBoyUK said:

He was brilliant for Forest when they won the League. Probably one of Clough's best ever signings.
    Amazing to think that he was around 28 when he joined them, and was still playing for England 12 years later.

Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan, England had some excellent keepers in the 70s, and when you throw in the likes of Keegan, Brooking, Trevor Francis etc, how we failed to qualify for the 78 World Cup is a mystery! To be fair, a 16 country event is a lot harder to reach than a 32 country one.
  • edited July 2018
    Yes, increasing the number of teams certainly helped us. I think there are enough teams in it now though! The issue is it is a World Cup but Europe has far larger numbers of strong teams - look at the fact Holland and Italy have not even qualified! A team like Panama could never qualify from a European group!
  • Yes, increasing the number of teams certainly helped us. I think there are enough teams in it now though!

Another 16 joining from 2026!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Amazing to think that he was around 28 when he joined them, and was still playing for England 12 years later.

Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan, England had some excellent keepers in the 70s, and when you throw in the likes of Keegan, Brooking, Trevor Francis etc, how we failed to qualify for the 78 World Cup is a mystery! To be fair, a 16 country event is a lot harder to reach than a 32 country one.
    We had Italy in our qualifying group. Rossi, Bettega etc.
  • Banks was 6ft 1" - It is a big error in the game writing off lads who are not giants - they do have to compensate for their lack of inches but those who do are generally the best keepers.

I have often thought how easy it would be for an African country to develop a keeping programme and produce keepers that address a major deficiency they have. I'd love to run a project like that - even women's football where technically able keepers could make a massive difference.

What I would look for first is concentration - so any kids that can't concentrate in class would be out no matter how tall they were. You can work on the rest from there - keeping is a very technical position.

Casillas was just under 6ft 1 and he didn't do too badly either.
  • edited July 2018
    My greatest Peter Shilton memories were watching him pick the ball out of the net from Shirtliff, Jones and Williams at Shithurst Park to keep us up at the end of the 88/89 season. Happier times :smiley:
  • This illustrates the science - it doesn't mention the speed of the ball aspect which is important, but that speed is suprisingly low - I think about 45mph if hit it the unsaveable zone! From what I understand, England are probably the best equipped team to win a shoot out in this competition. Southgate has studied the statistics of world cups and built his system around it. That includes the work England have done on penalties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbxb9wyH_lw
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Clemence was quicker on his feet than Shilton and would be more suited to playing with his feet in today's football. Shilton was a great keeper when young but slowed up when he got onto his 30's
  • I'd agree with that. He was at his best for Forest - but his best was fantastic!
  • fuck it 4-1 england and announce our time has come.

colombia
    sweden/switzerland
    russia/croatia

on paper its doable - but everyone wants it just as much as us and we HAVE to take our chances, something we haven't been doing, was annoyed on thursday losing a game but it was a master stroke from southgate pre tourny i said 1/4 and knocked out and i would be happy, on the above i am confident we have it in us to get to semis minimum.