Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options

Credit to Montserrat though in their version of the CONCACAF Nations League

They're the second lowest ranked team in Qualifying with their format being one League Table of 34-teams; each side faces a random team from Pot A | B | C | D with the top six qualifying for Group A (where Mexico / United States etc. already are) and then the next set of teams going into Group B and the bottom set of teams going into Group C

If Montserrat can beat the Cayman Islands (technically their easiest opponents) in March with results going their way they could end up in Group A

Note this is a Nation who have never gotten beyond the First Round of Qualification for the World Cup

As a quick guide to the sort of level we're talking here, the 2 Monserrat goalscorers against Aruba play for Bedford Town and Barwell, who i think play in either tier 7 or 8.
  • Options

They're the second lowest ranked team in Qualifying with their format being one League Table of 34-teams; each side faces a random team from Pot A | B | C | D with the top six qualifying for Group A (where Mexico / United States etc. already are) and then the next set of teams going into Group B and the bottom set of teams going into Group C

If Montserrat can beat the Cayman Islands (technically their easiest opponents) in March with results going their way they could end up in Group A

Note this is a Nation who have never gotten beyond the First Round of Qualification for the World Cup

As a quick guide to the sort of level we're talking here, the 2 Monserrat goalscorers against Aruba play for Bedford Town and Barwell, who i think play in either tier 7 or 8.
    Sometimes you feel that international football is a great learning experience for players, playing against the strong countries, whereas it's hard to see how Taylor is benefiting as a player (however much he might enjoy the experience) flying thousands of miles to play non league standard matches
  • Options
    Feck experience, it's pride playing for his country.
  • Options
    What was the attendance ? Looked like nil or close.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Feck experience, it's pride playing for his country.

Or rather the country of his grandparents, seeing that he was born in Greenwich!
  • Options
    I thought he was in for a big rest with that stomach muscle problem, and his willingness to play at Walsall was the only change to that plan. But as someone rooting for Guyana in the same tournament, I'd be disappointed if a player of that calibre turned down the call, as there is the carrot of Gold Cup qualification. The top 10 from the 34 Caribbean teams get through.
  • Options

Sometimes you feel that international football is a great learning experience for players, playing against the strong countries, whereas it's hard to see how Taylor is benefiting as a player (however much he might enjoy the experience) flying thousands of miles to play non league standard matches
    That's just it. He's proud to play for Montserrat, he enjoys it - and well, it's a bit of an adventure really.

• Options
    His final goal from against Mansfield is the one and only shown on BBC Breakfast from last night's F A Cup replays.

Roland has tweeted thanking the BBC for putting Taylor in the shop window!
  • Options
    Fantastic signing - still can't understand why he hasn't played at a higher level.
  • Options

Fantastic signing - still can't understand why he hasn't played at a higher level.

Wait until January and he might.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's his record now? 12 goals in 18 games?

Could get close to 30 goals if he stays fit all season.
  • Options
    clive said:

Gary Flitcroft's comments on Taylor.
    “Congratulations to Charlton. Lyle Taylor didn’t play up there [in the first meeting between the sides]. We had a really good chance last week to get into the next round and we didn’t. They’ve put Lyle in and he’s a wonderful player. I rated him really highly when he was down at Wimbledon but I think what the management team have done here – the development curve he is on; he’s going to be a top, top player. He’s got everything in front of him.

“They had five or six opportunities to score and they took every single one.

“His third goal was Eric Cantona-esque wasn’t it? It was brilliant.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/mansfield-boss-flitcroft-charlton-have-taken-lyle-taylors-game-to-a-new-level/

Look forward to his sale in Jan?
  • Options
    Oh dear, with the rat still around he'll be gone in January. Such a shame
  • Options
    Sage said:

As a group of fans, we really are such doom and gloom. Lyle Taylor is not going anywhere, believe me.

We are lucky to have such a fantastic striker who is showing he has almost everything in his game. Even if he only scores an average of 3 goals each month for the remainder of the season, he is still going to get at least 27 goals, that’s how well he has done.

Only 3 a month? That in itself is top quality goalscoring. Would be delighted with an average of 2 a month.
  • Options

clive said:

“Congratulations to Charlton. Lyle Taylor didn’t play up there [in the first meeting between the sides]. We had a really good chance last week to get into the next round and we didn’t. They’ve put Lyle in and he’s a wonderful player. I rated him really highly when he was down at Wimbledon but I think what the management team have done here – the development curve he is on; he’s going to be a top, top player. He’s got everything in front of him.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/mansfield-boss-flitcroft-charlton-have-taken-lyle-taylors-game-to-a-new-level/

Nice words from David Flitcroft
    I said to my son at the time it was Zlatan-esque!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

clive said:

I thought it was Hoddle-esque!
  • Options

Sage said:

As a group of fans, we really are such doom and gloom. Lyle Taylor is not going anywhere, believe me.

We are lucky to have such a fantastic striker who is showing he has almost everything in his game. Even if he only scores an average of 3 goals each month for the remainder of the season, he is still going to get at least 27 goals, that’s how well he has done.

Only 3 a month? That in itself is top quality goalscoring. Would be delighted with an average of 2 a month.
    Yes, 3 on average per month would be excellent but I’ve looked at it as this:

August - 2 goals (depleted squad, we didn’t score in 2 of our 5 league games that month)

September - 3 goals (scored in 3 of the 5 league games, missed a penalty against Plymouth and at Luton away he gave the penalty to Fosu to take)

October - 3 goals (scored in 3 of the 5 league games, missed a penalty against Rochdale)

November - 4 goals (including the hat-trick last night, he could also still play against Burton away on 27/11)

He has been brilliant for us, there’s no denying that, but with how he has been playing and the chances we do create, I think an average of 3 goals per month for the remainder of the season is a good, strong but realistic target.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully this isnt a sign of Taylor shaking off Grant in the goal scoring charts and the latter will come back to equal his tally again
  • Options

Wait until January and he might.
    Many a true word.
  • Options

Hopefully this isnt a sign of Taylor shaking off Grant in the goal scoring charts and the latter will come back to equal his tally again

Hmmm, wonder if Ajose plays on Saturday in place of Taylor, he'll be happy to lay chances on a plate for Grant or go it alone? :open_mouth: Turkeys don't normally vote for Christmas :wink: .
  • Options

Redhenry said:

clive said:

Ahem. Claus-esque.
  • Options
    Wish we had more players who love to score goals.
  • Options
    Only 2 players in the entire country with more goals than Taylor now.

• Options
    Redhenry said:

clive said:

Redhenry said:

clive said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Redhenry said:

clive said:

Ahem. Claus-esque.
    Flash did it first. It was a night game, Cambridge at home if I recall rightly, in front of the Covered End and a little more central than Lyle’s. He had 3 or 4 players on him and his back to the goal, turned and opened a space and chipped it into the back of the net.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

clive said:

Redhenry said:

clive said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Redhenry said:

clive said:

Ahem. Claus-esque.
    Flash did it first. It was a night game, Cambridge at home if I recall rightly, in front of the Covered End and a little more central than Lyle’s. He had 3 or 4 players on him and his back to the goal, turned and opened a space and chipped it into the back of the net.
    I thought he did that against Sunderland H ?
  • Options
    Charlton striker Lyle Taylor will be the subject of interest in the January transfer window – but the League One club must not let him go.

That is the verdict of Addicks manager Lee Bowyer, who saw the former AFC Wimbledon frontman score a hat-trick in Tuesday night’s FA Cup win over Mansfield.

Taylor is on 12 goals for the campaign and comfortably on course to exceed the 18 he plundered for the Dons in 2017-18.
    “I’ll be surprised if there isn’t any interest because the lad has done well,” said Bowyer, who made him a priority signing on a free in the summer. “But we have to take some credit for that.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-expecting-january-transfer-interest-in-star-striker/
  • Options
    a shame we didn't get Godden too, could've been a very fruitful partnership. Although tbf Grant's return has been very decent too