Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Least Plausible Story involving you that's true.

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    One for Simon Bates that, John... 
  • Options

A most remarkable episode of my life.

Best friends.
    In 1971 I moved to Norwich and worked in a large engineering factory.
    I became friends with David Smith.
    David and his wife Francis 'Had to get married' (a term older readers would recognise).
    They had a 2 year old daughter Emma.
    Forced into an unhappy marriage as teenagers, they soon parted.
    David had access to Emma on Saturday’s, an arrangement that worked for some months.Then one Saturday David went to collect the little girl from his ex-wife and the house was empty.Despite desperate attempts David was unable to find his ex-wife and the child he loved. Over the years David became bitter and angry about his lost daughter.He would send Christmas and birthday presents to an address in America where he believed his ex-wife’s cousin lived and where he believed his daughter had been taken to, but never received any reply.

Romance

The years passed, David and I worked in a section where we had frequent visits to install and commission equipment in the U.K. and oversea.During one such trip to Finland, one of our colleagues fell in love with a Finish lady, brought her back to Norwich and they married.It was at the wedding that David met one of the Finish woman’s friends who was a bridesmaid.Romance blossomed and David eventually married Ava who had a very good career in her home country, so they decided to set up home in Finland.  

That could have been the end of the story but.

Fast forward several years.I was passing through one of the planning offices at work when one of the lads called to me.

“Hey John. You’ve worked here some years, do you ever remember a bloke called David Smith”?He was holding a telephone.

“I’ve got a bloke on here who is inquiring about him”.

“Hello” I said taking to phone.

“My name is John Taylor” he said.

“And I’m try to contact David Smith as his daughter Emma who lives in America wants to find her dad as her mother has died”.

I explained to John that this was far too important to discuss here and took his telephone number and rang him that evening.It was actually John Taylor’s wife who had Emmas contact address.

She said Emmas mum had stayed with them in Norwich over the intervening years while visiting from America and the little girl had asked about her dad,  Mrs Taylor was temped to take the girl to see her dad but was reluctant to betray the trust of Emmas mum. I told her David was married and living in Finland with his wife and young son.I was sure David would be ‘over the moon’ to be reunited to his long lost daughter but, I would pass Emmas address to David but would hold David’s address from Emma in case he did not wish to include her in his life.Mrs Taylor and I agreed we would be the go-between. 

The detective.

I sat at the table writing.

Dear David

Your lost daughter.

No.

Dear David

I have some brilliant news for you.

I stopped writing

I couldn’t write one of the most important letters I ever written. I telephoned the international telephone directory with the intention of telephoning David. They said he had just been connected but did not have his number.

“Where are you going” asked my wife as I was pulling on my coat.

“I’m going to the village where David’s dad lives and see if he has David’s telephone number”. 

I went into the bar of one of the two pubs in the village.

It was an early winters evening and the bar was deserted.

The barman pulled me a pint.

“I’m trying to find a Mr Smith” I said.

The barman understandably gave me a smile shaking his head.

“I don’t know anyone of that name who drinks in here” he said.

“Now, this man is retired and drinks in a pub with his two mates and sails a boat on the broads”. I explained.

“No don’t know him” said the barman.

“His granddaughter was taken from the family many years ago”.

I explained the full story to the barman who listened intently.

“I know the man” he said and gave me Mr Smith’s address.

It was a dark cold night as I knocked on the door of the bungalow.

An old man opened the door.

“I’m a friend of your son David” I blurted.

He looked at me suspiciously through the gloom.

“I need to contact him about his daughter—“

“Emma” he interrupted.

“Yes she’s want to contact him as her mother has died”.

“I’m amazed,” he said.

He stood back shaking his head. He told me she was a small child when he last saw her.

“I am trying to telephone David to give him the news”.

“He has just been connected but I don’t know his number” said the old man.

I had drawn a blank.

We exchanged pleasantries and I went home and wrote to David with the news.

Very soon they were reunited in Finland and maybe the end of the story but--.

A couple of years later I received a telephone call from David. He had flown into Norwich for a brief visit to his father whose life was coming to an end. We met at a pub, enjoyed a meal and a couple of pints and David said Emma stayed with his family in Finland for a while but she was really a young American woman and now lived back in the states. His only regret was that she didn’t form a lasting relationship with his son.

Fast forward a couple of years and I received an email from Ava.

David Smith had died suddenly after a short illness and she wished his daughter Emma could attend the funeral but she had lost the woman’s contact address. I replied that I had also lost contact with Emma and the Taylors but would try to help.

I telephoned the company where John Taylor worked and talked to a guy who knew john Taylor and he said John had left a couple of years ago and did not have any contact address. Then remarkably the next day he telephoned me and said after our conversation he literally bumped into John Taylor while late night shopping in Norwich. So the link was made. I spoke to John, emailed Emma with the news and she attended the funeral.

I also told of David’s wish regarding her and his son’s relationship.  

The remarkable fact about this tale is. I have never met Ava (who sends me a Christmas card every year) or the Taylors, and only remember Emma as a small child.

I have to admit to being fairly ambivalent about religion etc.
    But sometimes wonder about fate.
    The company I worked for had over one thousand employees at the time spread over a large site and I just happened to pass a guy who knew me with an important call.  
    So much relied on fate. 
  • Options
    In the mid 80's I was a young engineer working in London, early one lovely Summer morning I was driving down Shaftesbury Avenue on my way to a site when inexplicably the drivers side front wheel of my van somehow came away and rolled off on its own whilst my van scraped to a halt.  Me and the other lad in the van watched in horror as the wheel rolled away and then just stopped and fell on its side, as that happened a rather weary and bleary eyed Michael Caine dressed in a DJ was crossing the road, he took a look at the wheel and then walked over to me and just said "did you know your vans wheel is over there, suggest you pick it up"  with that he gave a wink & continued his journey. I then had to figure out how to fix my mechanical problem. These days I would have taken a photo and asked him for a photo together, but all I could do was look at my mate and ask him did that really happen. 
    Not a lot of people knew that.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I’ve got a few. The most obvious is the one I’ve told before - five masked men invaded my house, got the wrong address, apologised, shook my hand and left! 
    Sounds like what happened to a mate of mine. He got jumped by two Jocks in Woolwich, he said they were so pissed they were hitting each other more than him, but he ended up on the pavement expecting the worst. All of a sudden they stopped and one said " It's nae him". They helped him up and apologised, after a couple of moments silence the bloke asked him " Do ye want to come for a pint?!!" My mate resisted the urge to tell them to jump under the nearest train and politely declined.....  
  • Options
    David Bowie and Peter Frampton went to my school, and PF dad was my art teacher
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Owen Frampton by any chance?
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Please tell me that your art lessons were delivered via a Talk Box.
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Owen Frampton by any chance?
    Put a clutch in his 1100
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bought the first round yesterday.
    True stories only, please, Elfs.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I’ve got a few. The most obvious is the one I’ve told before - five masked men invaded my house, got the wrong address, apologised, shook my hand and left! 
    (BEST story on CL.  By miles.  Fact). 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @JiMMy 85 What was the exploding barbecue story?