Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Sugar in twitter storm

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018

el-pietro said:

I see love island was labelled racist yesterday for people using the description as mixed race being a type, non story bit of lighthearted generalisation, as you do get Africans selling sunglasses on beaches in Spain and such, not racist shows what a pc world we now live in.

I don’t know how many things people can be “outraged” about at once, the rise in knife crime, burglaries going up, shit trains - no let’s focus on alan sugar tweeting about lookie lookie men.

I couldn't disagree more, I feel this is a very racist tweet. He's clearly saying they all look the same and stereotyping black Africans IMO
    are you a black african? if so how does it make you feel if not how do you know how a black african feels.

i know we have got irish posters on here so will use that as an example, being part Irish i don't get upset when people say they'll be too pissed to do it or there out crazy paving or things to that affect.
    equally my grandad was a glasgow man i regularly make jokes about them being tight.

its light humour - the aim isnt to upset people, as above bit different saying it to your mates down the pub not on twitter with millions of followers and once its out there there is no deleting.

I feel that comments like this from English people show how little regard they have for the Irish people. I'm not upset by them as such, but it shows that we are considered a punch line rather than equals. We are looked down upon by a significant portion of English. It doesn't have any real effect on my day to day life but I feel it is a contributing factor to the current stalled brexit discussions over the Irish/UK border. Theres a sense of sure Ireland will back down to the might British people and give us what we want in the end. Or how dare they be so uppity, don't they know their place?
    just for a bit of background on myself ( seeing as you dont know me), my gf of 5 years is from westmeath, both of my grandparents and mother are from cork.

and believe me the irish give as good as they get there was 20,000 in france shouting fuck the queen and quite a few shouting up the ra - which i genuinely hope was done in jest and more than likely was.

also just in your post you call us english and british? i consider myself english ta as i feel no affiliation to scotland wales or ulster
    You're English and British, you don't get to choose. :smile: I do somewhat agree though. (in a sporting sense)
  • Options

el-pietro said:

I see love island was labelled racist yesterday for people using the description as mixed race being a type, non story bit of lighthearted generalisation, as you do get Africans selling sunglasses on beaches in Spain and such, not racist shows what a pc world we now live in.

I don’t know how many things people can be “outraged” about at once, the rise in knife crime, burglaries going up, shit trains - no let’s focus on alan sugar tweeting about lookie lookie men.

I couldn't disagree more, I feel this is a very racist tweet. He's clearly saying they all look the same and stereotyping black Africans IMO
    are you a black african? if so how does it make you feel if not how do you know how a black african feels.

i know we have got irish posters on here so will use that as an example, being part Irish i don't get upset when people say they'll be too pissed to do it or there out crazy paving or things to that affect.
    equally my grandad was a glasgow man i regularly make jokes about them being tight.

its light humour - the aim isnt to upset people, as above bit different saying it to your mates down the pub not on twitter with millions of followers and once its out there there is no deleting.

I feel that comments like this from English people show how little regard they have for the Irish people. I'm not upset by them as such, but it shows that we are considered a punch line rather than equals. We are looked down upon by a significant portion of English. It doesn't have any real effect on my day to day life but I feel it is a contributing factor to the current stalled brexit discussions over the Irish/UK border. Theres a sense of sure Ireland will back down to the might British people and give us what we want in the end. Or how dare they be so uppity, don't they know their place?
    just for a bit of background on myself ( seeing as you dont know me), my gf of 5 years is from westmeath, both of my grandparents and mother are from cork.

and believe me the irish give as good as they get there was 20,000 in france shouting fuck the queen and quite a few shouting up the ra - which i genuinely hope was done in jest and more than likely was.

also just in your post you call us english and british? i consider myself english ta as i feel no affiliation to scotland wales or ulster
    A post full of whataboutery and "sure my best friend is..."

Irish people may not like the Queen or the royal family with good reason (and I assure you there is virtually no real support for the IRA in Ireland so any up the RA shouts would be in jest). We don't however think we are better than the English or British. We also wlecomed your Queen to our country in recent years and Prince Charles was in my home town last week. No one really bothered to show up but they were welcomed, though some weren't happy to see the Union Flag on City hall but thats just protocol and they need to grow up.

As for your English/British comment? Really? You have an issue with that? Maybe you are an exception but I don't see the people of England stiving to give Scotland their independence. Though it seems many are ready to discard Northern Ireland in the name of convenience.

My general point is that jokes like this show an underlying prejudice against a people or nation. They are mostly harmless and I'm not for a minute suggesting that you have n issue with the Irish but the evidence is there that your nation as a whole thinks there is more truth behind these jokes than they let on.
    Perhaps Sugar has let on his underlying prejudice here. Or perhaps its just a crappy joke.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

So basically you can't be racist unless you are aiming it directly towards someone who is a different race to yourself?
    meaning; prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

ones own race is superior - obviously if you are the same then no you can't as per above.

he is "tweeting" that some football players looked like some lookie lookie sellers in spain after someone had mocked up a photo of them being portrayed as beach sellers - as i said in my 1st post - non story.
    Stereotyping any category, whether by race, age, nationality, wealth, accent etc etc is not of itself racism. It's whether the stereotyping is used to display prejudice or promote antagonism or hate or influences others to act discriminatorily towards them. If anything, the joke is suggesting the stereotype of entrepreneurship, and possibly that white Europeans think all black people, look the same. It wouldn't be a joke if you couldn't put the footballers on the beach in Marbella selling sunglasses or vice versa.

I don't think Sugar is prejudiced against Marbella sunglass sellers or a black African football team and i don't see how anyone is encouraged by the joke to be discriminatory towards them.

Those who think Sugar's innocuous joke was racist please tell me why an insulting display of prejudice designed to promote antagonism towards politicians/the rich/poor/northerners/southerners/Millwall fans etc. based on stereotype, is not as offensive to them simply because the stereotyping and prejudice displayed is not against race or religion.

The problem is not that we need to become less racist, we need to become less insulting and intolerant of differences between us and other fellow human beings regardless of what label we might use to categorise one another. Racism would be as unacceptable as any other form of irrational prejudice.

Seem to recall one of the posters above, accusing Sugar of racism, saying British Managers weren't good enough for the Premier League. Imagine if Sugar had suggested black Africans were not good enough to play in the World Cup.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

el-pietro said:

Irish people may not like the Queen or the royal family with good reason (and I assure you there is virtually no real support for the IRA in Ireland so any up the RA shouts would be in jest). We don't however think we are better than the English or British. We also wlecomed your Queen to our country in recent years and Prince Charles was in my home town last week. No one really bothered to show up but they were welcomed, though some weren't happy to see the Union Flag on City hall but thats just protocol and they need to grow up.

As for your English/British comment? Really? You have an issue with that? Maybe you are an exception but I don't see the people of England stiving to give Scotland their independence. Though it seems many are ready to discard Northern Ireland in the name of convenience.

My general point is that jokes like this show an underlying prejudice against a people or nation. They are mostly harmless and I'm not for a minute suggesting that you have n issue with the Irish but the evidence is there that your nation as a whole thinks there is more truth behind these jokes than they let on.
    Perhaps Sugar has let on his underlying prejudice here. Or perhaps its just a crappy joke.
    I wonder what the Senegalese equivalent of Alan Sugar has tweeted about the English team?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    el-pietro said:

el-pietro said:

Not really about whatabouterry was just giving you a bit of background but as your so arrogant feck ya, why support an English football team when you have your own?

As your happy to call me British maybe I should refer to Ireland as Southern Ireland I presume you would be fine with that?.
  • Options
    Like I said, AS is a typical Labour bod who thinks that he can say what he likes with no come back
  • Options

Like I said, AS is a typical Labour bod who thinks that he can say what he likes with no come back

Another lazy stereotype ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "How can I be racist, I've got black mates"

"How can I be racist, I'm Labour Party through and through"
  • Options

Everyone a winner!
  • Options
    SO, how much were they selling that tat for? The Egyptian lads are doing much better deals...
  • Options

SO, how much were they selling that tat for? The Egyptian lads are doing much better deals...

And the Tunisians etc!
  • Options

And the Tunisians etc!
    Lucky you're Labour
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Really surprised that you still see it like that @el-pietro. You've certainly not see anyone looking down on you in Belgium or up at Rochdale. Indeed most people were fascinated by your story and genuinely pleased to have you with us.

As far a Brexit and the border is concerned - my understanding is that the Government want to keep it a completely separate issue between a member and non member state and just want the EU to butt out of a local issue that can be dealt with quite amicably by two sensible Governments with close bonds.

Now naff off.
  • Options

for the umpteenth time, corbyn has been very very clear on racists and anti semites, he has clearly said to them "just tone it down a bit"...
  • Options
    Classic 'only joking' dog whistle
  • Options
    Addickted said:

el-pietro said:

Really surprised that you still see it like that @el-pietro. You've certainly not see anyone looking down on you in Belgium or up at Rochdale. Indeed most people were fascinated by your story and genuinely pleased to have you with us.

As far a Brexit and the border is concerned - my understanding is that the Government want to keep it a completely separate issue between a member and non member state and just want the EU to butt out of a local issue that can be dealt with quite amicably by two sensible Governments with close bonds.

Now naff off.
    I don't think all English people think this way and I have great time for all you guys. But the way brexit has gone the last couple of years shows that there is a general disregard for Ireland among the English people as a whole. Maybe not among a majority, but it definitely exists.

I don't want to get into a political discussion here, theres plenty of that in the other thread, but it is an EU border as well as an Irish border and the idea that Ireland and the UK would solve it between ourselves is wrong. The UK is negotiating with the whole EU, and Ireland will not be bullied on the matter.

I do love you guys though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:

It was only a matter of weeks ago when ENGLISH folks were donating and sharing links on social media to help fund their Irish colleagues and friends get home to vote.
    So yeah, you're clearly right, we are such an intolerant, arrogant, irish-hating lot over here....

• Options
    Howells said:

el-pietro said:

It was only a matter of weeks ago when ENGLISH folks were donating and sharing links on social media to help fund their Irish colleagues and friends get home to vote.
    So yeah, you're clearly right, we are such an intolerant, arrogant, irish-hating lot over here....

Again, you are assuming I think all English hate or look down upon the Irish. I have said multiple times that is not what I believe.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Howells said:

el-pietro said:

Again, you are assuming I think all English hate or look down upon the Irish. I have said multiple times that is not what I believe.
    A fair assumption considering you wrote the following only a matter of hours ago....
    We are looked down upon by a significant portion of English.

• Options
    Its a thick as shit entitled twatty be-littling act from Suger. Not racist, just cunty

I think passing the screenshot of that joke around in private is ok. You do it that because you know it's not appropriate for a broader audience.

He is just pure wank for putting it on twitter and backing it up.

Never liked Alan Suger anyway so for me all of this is a bit of a non story.

• Options

Putting aside the argument over whether it's racist or not, how bloody stupid is he to tweet it in the first place?

Can he not see how it can be perceived?

Racists very rarely think they're racist.
  • Options

The English hate The English above all else .
    Im offended by my own comment and have just flagged myself

FAKE NEWS you can't react to your own post.