Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oh Ay Oh, We’ve lost Ahmed Kashi

124»

Comments

• Simonsen said:

A couple of things affected Kashi's performance when he came back

1) He'd had a career threatening injury and missed over a year of football.
    2) He was clearly told by management to play a very deep role.....possibly because they knew he was a bit restricted by his injury or possibly because there was a rigid formation.....or both.

Under Guy Luzon, we generally only played four in midfield and Kashi was everywhere. He was so effective, it meant we could do without a midfielder and play an extra striker. His performances v QPR and Hull in those early days were excellent. There was one game at The Valley last season (can't remember which one) when he started bursting forwards late on when we went 4-4-2 chasing a game. The shackles were off and he looked like the player we first signed.

Kashi might've flourished this season, with confidence returning, a new system and a manager who has a more traditional view of what makes a good midfielder.

I've never seen a midfielder play such a deep role - took defensive midfielder to a new level.
    Agreed. But I'm pretty sure if he wasn't meant to be doing it as per manager's instructions, he'd have been dropped.
  • Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

A couple of things affected Kashi's performance when he came back

1) He'd had a career threatening injury and missed over a year of football.
    2) He was clearly told by management to play a very deep role.....possibly because they knew he was a bit restricted by his injury or possibly because there was a rigid formation.....or both.

Under Guy Luzon, we generally only played four in midfield and Kashi was everywhere. He was so effective, it meant we could do without a midfielder and play an extra striker. His performances v QPR and Hull in those early days were excellent. There was one game at The Valley last season (can't remember which one) when he started bursting forwards late on when we went 4-4-2 chasing a game. The shackles were off and he looked like the player we first signed.

Kashi might've flourished this season, with confidence returning, a new system and a manager who has a more traditional view of what makes a good midfielder.

I've never seen a midfielder play such a deep role - took defensive midfielder to a new level.
    Agreed. But I'm pretty sure if he wasn't meant to be doing it as per manager's instructions, he'd have been dropped.
    He passed the ball far too slowly and usually sideways