Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Tunisia

1212223242527»

Comments

• Croydon said:

JamesSeed said:

We over celebrated the opening goal.

I loved how the players celebrated it. This is the first group of England players for a long time who genuinely all seem to like each other.
    Not that too much importance should be attached to it but I did notice that every single one of them absolutely belted out the national anthem before the game too. You can see what it means to this group to play for their country and for Southgate and his coaching team.
    Only 4 Tunisia players were singing (although 2 of those looked like they just had their mouths open and moving slightly), but all 11 England players were signing and properly too. Can't remember a time we've shown up another team in that respect.

Rate Southgate highly
    Many of the Tunisia players were born and grew up in France, they probably don't know the anthem that well!
  • I watched the replay. Kane was fouled at least twice in the box. And not even one penalty?! Unbelievable really. He scored while unmarked (the second goal) and I wonder if he would have scored more had he not been fouled/held down in the way he was.

Maybe the ref said to the Tunisians "Listen, you have got away with murder twice, if I let another one go I'll get lynched, so lay off the beardy bloke this time will ya?" :lol:
    With the controversy over the wrestling challenges on Kane not being punished, in the next match the VAR officials will be watching Kane and his markers really closely. I imagine defenders will be really wary of grabbing him, which should hopefully give him more space.
  • i'd have sterling coming off the bench over rashford off the bench..
  • edited June 2018

I watched the replay. Kane was fouled at least twice in the box. And not even one penalty?! Unbelievable really. He scored while unmarked (the second goal) and I wonder if he would have scored more had he not been fouled/held down in the way he was.

Maybe the ref said to the Tunisians "Listen, you have got away with murder twice, if I let another one go I'll get lynched, so lay off the beardy bloke this time will ya?" :lol:
    With the controversy over the wrestling challenges on Kane not being punished, in the next match the VAR officials will be watching Kane and his markers really closely. I imagine defenders will be really wary of grabbing him, which should hopefully give him more space.
    Might be worth lumping on us to get a penalty in the next game. Edit: England 13/8 to get a penalty.
  • Croydon said:

JamesSeed said:

I loved how the players celebrated it. This is the first group of England players for a long time who genuinely all seem to like each other.
    Not that too much importance should be attached to it but I did notice that every single one of them absolutely belted out the national anthem before the game too. You can see what it means to this group to play for their country and for Southgate and his coaching team.
    Only 4 Tunisia players were singing (although 2 of those looked like they just had their mouths open and moving slightly), but all 11 England players were signing and properly too. Can't remember a time we've shown up another team in that respect.

Rate Southgate highly
    Many of the Tunisia players were born and grew up in France, they probably don't know the anthem that well!
    I'll be honest I wouldn't be able to sing our national anthem very well, but if I were representing the country I'd be sure to learn it well!
  • Croydon said:

JamesSeed said:

Rate Southgate highly
    I'll be honest I wouldn't be able to sing our national anthem very well, but if I were representing the country I'd be sure to learn it well!
    I'm trying to remember how well the likes of Aldridge, Townsend etc sung the Irish anthem!

• I'm trying to remember how well the likes of Aldridge, Townsend etc sung the Irish anthem!

Liam Brady to Tony Cascarino " Stand up straight and keep still,"

Cascarino- "why?"

Brady - " This is our fecking national anthem"

Allegedly.
  • actually it was said long before that by a then Luton Town player to an Orient player (forget their names) whilst playing for Eire and the story then was one said to the other "Their athum goes on abit !"---- "its ours !"
  • I thought Henderson was good, and I'm not a huge fan. The only criticism I had of him against Tunisia was he wasn't intelligent enough with his positioning to offer an out ball to his back three. If that forward pass isn't on and the options are blocked he needs to pull away and always be available to receive to ball from them so the centre halves don't get caught on it. Too often though he found a spot and didn't follow the play so the CHs got a bit stuck. Hopefully he'll just up his concentration a little in those situations next few games, as Hazard and Lukaku will really punish any CH they catch on the ball

Think you will find for the Belgium game, that he will play BOTH Dier and Henderson holding in the midfield, with the front three (Sterling, Kane & Lingaard/Rashford), being left to try and create something between themselves.

With the strength of Hazard and DeBruyne, you don't want to be leaving huge spaces in front of the back three, though I am not so worried about Lukaku as I think that we have the pace and strength to deal with his lack of movement.

• Sponsored links:

• Have I really just read on here that someone thought Henderson ‘was shocking’

Laughable.

He wasn’t shocking he wasn’t shite he was just Henderson and every team need one

However he is not what you need when you need the ball played forward quickly and that can cause people to not really understand his role
    The not passing forward thing is a myth. He created 5 chances against Tunisia. He produced a performance similar to what he’s been doing for Liverpool all season.
    I didn’t say he never passed it forward I said when you need it passed forward quickly

In the first twenty mins everything was done with speed and forward thinking once we scored it was slowed down and I don’t blame Henderson it’s in the DNA of England players and coaches we take negativity back on board and we lose momentum

Henderson is then the one who has the responsibility to ensure we play this way for the next 5-10 mins it’s a coaching decision and he is very good at it so we slow down

I don’t agree with it once we have our tails up we should not slow down the play and then Henderson should spray the passes at the pace they need to but he won’t becuae he is coaches not to
  • I thought Henderson was good, and I'm not a huge fan. The only criticism I had of him against Tunisia was he wasn't intelligent enough with his positioning to offer an out ball to his back three. If that forward pass isn't on and the options are blocked he needs to pull away and always be available to receive to ball from them so the centre halves don't get caught on it. Too often though he found a spot and didn't follow the play so the CHs got a bit stuck. Hopefully he'll just up his concentration a little in those situations next few games, as Hazard and Lukaku will really punish any CH they catch on the ball

Think you will find for the Belgium game, that he will play BOTH Dier and Henderson holding in the midfield, with the front three (Sterling, Kane & Lingaard/Rashford), being left to try and create something between themselves.

With the strength of Hazard and DeBruyne, you don't want to be leaving huge spaces in front of the back three, though I am not so worried about Lukaku as I think that we have the pace and strength to deal with his lack of movement.

Southgate has been adamant he won't play both. I suspect he may play RLC in a slightly more withdrawn role against Belgium so he can use his energy and running to help Henderson out in those areas.
  • Dele Alli missed training today with his thigh injury. No need to risk him against Panama.
  • Dele Alli missed training today with his thigh injury. No need to risk him against Panama.

Agreed. Give Loftus-Cheek a game - he'll force his way into that XI eventually anyway.

This is what i dont understand about leaving him to play on against Tunisia. He was quite clearly injured from about the 20th minute? Yet wasnt taken off until the 80th because,as Southgate said,the player himself said he was fine. Obviously wasnt was he.
    Yes, totally baffling. If he'd made it worse, his World Cup would have been over.

Southgate has been adamant he won't play both. I suspect he may play RLC in a slightly more withdrawn role against Belgium so he can use his energy and running to help Henderson out in those areas.
    Really - must have missed that one!

Personally I think that this England team is better on the front foot, moving the ball quickly and getting in behind with clever movement.

Agree on RLC - obvious that Southgate likes him, and from watching Deli Ali year on year, he seems to have gone backwards a little.

• Agree - wouldn't want us soaking up pressure for too long in a game, but on the front foot they look as good as anybody. And they have a striker who when he gets a chance, you can trust him to put it away!
  • Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire
    Henderson
    Trippier Loftus-Cheek Lingard Rose
    Rashford Kane