Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I think I’m falling out of love with Charlton

124»

Comments

• Options
    It’s natural given all that’s gone on that some feel this way, stick with it the club needs your support, altho i still think somehow the fans need to own at least part of the club to stop this all happening again and again.
  • Options

It is Duchatelet's Charlton that is the problem, not Charlton. He will be gone - hopefully sooner rather than later - and we all have a job to do then. For the club we will always love!

@MuttleyCAFC Yes that is very true, I may have been wrong in the words I've used, it is the current situation I've let get to me. I'll always Love CAFC, but its the current experience that seems wrong. Its not just st The Valley, but all the in-fighting and name calling that has got to me as well. We used to be so United, now we are split and the driver behind that split is RD. He goes - I think many will come back, not all, as some have found other things to do, but I look forward to the day when we can.
  • Options
    New ownership, fresh ideas, showing the fans we are moving in the right direction.

We'll be back quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

It is Duchatelet's Charlton that is the problem, not Charlton. He will be gone - hopefully sooner rather than later - and we all have a job to do then. For the club we will always love!

@MuttleyCAFC Yes that is very true, I may have been wrong in the words I've used, it is the current situation I've let get to me. I'll always Love CAFC, but its the current experience that seems wrong. Its not just st The Valley, but all the in-fighting and name calling that has got to me as well. We used to be so United, now we are split and the driver behind that split is RD. He goes - I think many will come back, not all, as some have found other things to do, but I look forward to the day when we can.
    The point that has been missed by some is that the protesters have never been the problem. They are people who love the club enough to go to Belgium, go on marches or even let the total mismanagement affect them. No the problem is those that shrug their shoulders and just fill the gap with something else! Not the people who throw beach balls and pigs on the pitch but people who have decided they would rather not be there so don't throw them on the pitch. We all will need to win them back - but we have done it before and we can do it again. We have to get rid if the mad old arrogant fool first though!
  • Options
    Charlton... Addicted to the club.
    Well out of love with it already. First game was in 95/96 aged 7or 8 also.

I can't wait til we have an owner or group of owners who are willing to do whatever it takes to get back to the promised land.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Yes RD will go eventually and I suppose what us doubters have to realise is that CAFC is the Valley and us lot, not the owner, the manager or the players as they come and go but we are here for ever, maybe not with love but definitely with support.

That's how I see it. I've done more than my fair share to persuade RD to leave and will continue to do so if it seems appropriate. But I'll never fall out of love with Charlton and I'll support them in person vocally until I'm no longer able.

As StarrInnaddick said, it's too late to change things once the curtains have closed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to read of all the fans that have been turned away by the mismanagement and incompetence of RD. I must admit there were times in the past under RD’s reign that I felt nothing when we scored. Didn’t stop me going and I will always turn up I think, just can’t imagine not going unless I’m ill or have a prior engagement I can’t get out of.

That’s just me though and respect people’s choice either way
  • Options
    best way to stop the "falling out of love" is to go and watch a game where we win ...easier said than done these days i know ! ..easiest way to fall out of love is to keep reading CL
  • Options
    I respect the remainers and the Valleyexiters. What this thread sadly shows is that a lot of sensible people are suffering from this fool’s tenure whether they keep going as regularly, go less often or don’t go any more. Sad times and worse the more I think about it.
  • Options
    I’m not out of love with Charlton, but I sure hate what the last 4 years have been under the RAT.
  • Options
    If this takeover fails it won't matter if you have or have not 'fallen out of love' - the question will be hypothetical as there probably won't be much of a club left to worry about.
  • Options
    I must admit I’ve cared so little lately that I don’t even watch the transfer window anymore, until douche bag has sold I don’t think it would make any difference. My love for football over all seems to have been drained out of me as well though, finding it difficult to get enthusiastic over the World Cup even. A lot of this may be down to worrying about other things though.
  • Options
    Love for Charlton is absolute.
    I don't always like them for the sheer pain they put us through.
    You can change your socks,
    You can change your pants,
    You can change your Wife,
    But you can't change your football team.
    Charlton till I die.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

But you can't change your football team
    Charlton till I die.

I know a few people that have. Weird but true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The damage is terminal.

Really wanted this to be the season that I came back and bought my kids. But again that is looking unlikely.
    Don’t know how much longer I can hold out. It will be a real struggle to get them involved the longer this goes on.
    Can clubs that skip a generation of support survive?
    Be very difficult
  • Options
    supporting charlton is something which ultimately gives me pleasure in spite of all the crap because shit happens every day and we all have to be strong and resilient enough to deal with it. charlton will see better days and then they’ll see worse.....its the way of things but there is something very human about our collective response to all the good and all the bad and in spite of poor performances there were enough good ones to give me hope. the cliche of it being a metaphor for life is a good one. like i say charlton will see better days not least because of the fans.
  • Options

The damage is terminal.

Really wanted this to be the season that I came back and bought my kids. But again that is looking unlikely.
    Don’t know how much longer I can hold out. It will be a real struggle to get them involved the longer this goes on.
    Be very difficult

CB, I remember the same thing being said when we played in Croydon, that we would lose a generation of young supporters and how we could have really galvanised young support during our Division 1 years if we'd been playing at The Valley.

From those wilderness years, we, as supporters formed a strong bond and in my opinion was the catalyst for all the good years to come and I genuinely believe that under new owners, this can be achieved again and younger support will once again return.

I have an earlier post on this thread where I basically moan about the 4 years of Charlton bonding that has been stolen from my 12 year old son and I under Duchatelet's ownership, as I only take my son to certain away games and the first leg play off, however, even with this limited amount of football, my son has well and truly got the Charlton bug and as soon as any takeover is completed, then 2 season tickets will be purchased.

My son has started watching Charlton at a particularly difficult time in our history, so for him, the only way is up.

COYR
  • Options

The damage is terminal.

Be very difficult

The damage is not terminal. If he stayed for another 5 /10 years then maybe so.

If we get a new owner that values the fans and has enough money for us to compete in The Championship, we'll be back in our most usual position.

There are thousands of new properties in the area and if the original supporters don't want to know anymore, hopefully they will replaced with new.

The Valley sold out a you tube game last season.

If you have the right product at the right price people will come.

It's possibly even easier than after the Selhurst years, with all the extra possible "supporters".

The only thing that will stop the club rising again if the product is there, will be the supporters who no longer wish to support the club and help it grow in strength, like we did in the target 10,000 days.
    Even now at our lowest ebb, we are averaging more than 10,000.

I'm not saying it will be easy, of course it will not.
    But if we all rally around and make it our goal to build the club again it will surely happen.
  • Options
    There is, of course, no correct collective stance upon the matter of staying in love, or falling out of love, with Charlton Ath; it is a very personal choice.

For me personally, I do not have the same level of enthusiasm for CAFC that I had as recent as two weeks ago. The recent developments such as further delays in a takeover and the reported sale of star players has left me numb.

When Kent CCC won their semi final one day game on Sunday, I was so happy and was charging around the living room in pure joy. I cannot remember the last time CAFC invoked that level of pleasure for me.

For me personally, the jury is still out.