Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where will England finish in the World Cup

13»

Comments

• Options
    Winners
    I'm getting dangerously optimistic. Every time.
  • Options
    Quarter Finals

We win it , everyone pony , someone’s gotta win it so why not us

What are your percentages?
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    Bookies have cut our odds slightly, off the back of today's results and the increased possibility of Germany meeting Brazil in the second round. Were we to finish second in the group, this could potentially lead to a very winnable quarter final against the likes of Mexico or Serbia.

I'm therefore predicting humiliating defeats against Tunisia and Panama and a dead rubber against the Belgians.
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    MrLargo said:

Bookies have cut our odds slightly, off the back of today's results and the increased possibility of Germany meeting Brazil in the second round. Were we to finish second in the group, this could potentially lead to a very winnable quarter final against the likes of Mexico or Serbia.

I'm therefore predicting humiliating defeats against Tunisia and Panama and a dead rubber against the Belgians.

That's the spirit.
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    After those lacklustre performances by Brasil and Deutschland, I'd say we've got a chance of getting beyond the quarters, then who knows?

Nurse, nurse, I need to lie down.
  • Options
    Winners

given that over the years there seems to have been a pattern of England doing well, charlton doing shit I’d say on present circumstances that England are going to win the World Cup this time around

And for those thinking the takeover thread won’t get to at least 2,000 pages, can I point out that England are now hitting record World Cup scores, qualified for the next round after just two games, Harry Kane is leading the goalscorers table and even a defender has hit a brace in a game...just saying
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    Quarters for me. Obviously we have good reason to be optimistic but i don't think we should get too carried away by the fact we've beaten 2 of the worst sides in the tournament.
  • Options
    Winners
    Winners 15% .....runners up 15% ......Losing semi finalists 30% ..... losing 1/4 finalists 35% ..... losing last 16 5%
  • Options
    Winners
    I've voted winners, not because I'm getting carried away after 2 results against poor teams, but because I think it's genuinely possible, if unlikely.

The reality is that so many games already have not gone to script that I really think that there are probably at least 6-8 teams that could realistically have a chance. Teams you would traditionally expect to do well (Germany, Brazil, Argentina) seem to be 'doing an England' and have struggled under the weight of expectation in their opening games, whilst others (Mexico, Switzerland, Senegal) have played well and are arguably exceeding expectations. Against this, England's performance yesterday was very strong - yes it was a weak opposition, but you can only play what's in front of you, and plenty of England teams from past tournaments would have made a meal of it.

The team seems to be playing in a more relaxed style and the players seem happy. Are we the tournament favourites? Of course not. Could we go all the way? Certainly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Round of 16
    Can I change my vote? :joy:
  • Options
    Winners
    I haven't seen a better team yet so on that basis we have a good chance of going all the way.
  • Options
    Round of 16
    Hard to judge until we play Belgium. Panama were in self-destruct mode and we scraped past Tunisia.

Thought Colombia looked very good last night.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Quarter Finals
    It becomes a lottery, but the fact is - England are as good as any team in it. That in itself probably won't be enough - you need the luck and some decisions to go your way which rarely happens to England - but at least it gives us a chance.

Agree about Columbia - I would expect them to beat Senegal and Japan only need a draw against the Poles - which I expect them to get. That would mean Columia top the group! I would prefer to avoid that Columbia side in the round of 16 - Let the QF be what it is but I think winning the Group is the way to go for England for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    I stand by my estimation.
  • Options
    Group stage
    Dazzler21 said:

I stand by my estimation.

So do I. Except it was out at the group stage. Oops!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Quarter Finals
    Well we should all remember Iceland before thinking about the "easier" route....

Most of the teams likely to go through would probably beat us if we had a bad day but with Kane up front we should be able to create and score enough to really threaten - particularly if Germany for example keep under performing (would they beat Brazil)

Agree with the comment about Colombia above - very impressive albeit against a poor Poland side.

• Options
    Quarter Finals
    I remember in 2002 when we squeaked past Argentina then walloped Denmark a mate and me were sat in the back garden of our local discussing what we would do if we won it. I reminded him after about half an hour of us shooting the shit of what ridiculous things we were going to do, that we had to play Brazil in the quarter finals and he had a right sulk slammed his glass down and have it all

"You have to fucking ruin it don't you, have to always piss on the bonfire"

I might be a realist but I'm rarely disappointed.

Apart from Froch v groves 1. That was a robbery that I've never really gotten over
  • Options
    Quarter Finals
    You have to find your momentum and keep it going. Certainly if you are England.