Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fao Henry

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
I see the Head of Greenwich Council is criticising you in the letters section of the Kentish Times

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2006
    here it is!!!

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/content/bexley/times/postbag/story.aspx?brand=BXYOnline&category=postbag&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=postbagbxy&itemid=WeED12%20Oct%202006%2010%3A51%3A09%3A700
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see Henry's retort.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    what's more important is the comment that the club hasn't submitted a planning application for the south stand...i obviously missed that when the club issued a statement about holding up the east stand development...somehow, i seem to think (or wrongly assumed) that had already been done...

Stadium plans on hold
    The Addicks have deferred a decision on whether to proceed with the east-stand development at The Valley until March 2007.

That was the outcome of a Charlton plc meeting on Monday, with directors wishing for further time to conclude discussions relating to the construction of a new south stand.

"It would be a risk to commit a large sum of money towards the east stand without knowing whether planning consent would be forthcoming for the proposed new south stand," explained chief executive Peter Varney.

Under the plans, the Addicks aim to increase the capacity of The Valley to just under 31,000 by adding a second tier to the east stand and 'filling in' the south-east quadrant. The proposals also include the construction of nine residential units to the rear of the east stand.

"The club has invested some £200,000 in developing a design to maximise ground capacity and to enhance commercial revenues both on matchdays and non-matchdays," added Peter.

"We have also accumulated all the information required for the tender process on matters such as ground conditions following an extensive range of surveys.

"The new build is complicated because it is in a restricted area and work will have to take place while the east stand remains in use. Steel prices have also increased dramatically in recent years and our professional advisers estimate the cost of building the new facilities could be in the region of some £20m."

Charlton have previously indicated to Greenwich Council and local residents that the club's eventual ambition is an all-seater Valley stadium capable of housing 40,000 spectators.

That would require a new south stand as well, and the board is keen to evaluate a number of options before committing to such an expensive east-stand construction project.

Said Varney: "The board feels even if stringent conditions are applied - that will need to be met in relation to any future south-stand development - it needs a positive indication its vision for the future of the club is shared.

"On Monday it therefore decided that we need to pursue this issue with the council before making a decision on the east stand and associated areas.

"The board was also made aware there are other possible stadium options which should be evaluated, even though as committed supporters they want to remain at The Valley and see it developed to its full potential."

Peter added: "As a result, it was decided to defer a decision on the development until the plc board meeting in March 2007, which will hopefully give us time to conclude all the discussions needed to give directors a clearer picture of the situation regarding the south stand as well as other options."
  • Options
    He is almost comparing Henry with Alistair Campbell in that letter!

Especially his option 3.
  • Options
    Ooooh. Ark at 'er

I assume he doesnt know that Ben is the "Fans" Director then....
  • Options
    i thought reading the local papers was always a sign of getting older, but reading the letters page indicates 'welcome to middle aged life'!
  • Options
    If the quotes are accurate I'd think he'd have every reason to get upset.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sounds like the councillor in question is a bit of a tit from what I've seen elsewhere.