Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jay Dasilva

Comments

• We still cant rely on Page to last the whole season though... this is Page after all and then we're relying on Sarr or Mascoll who has had one good game in the Trophy this season and one poor game in the League Cup

I still say no .. he's just not good enough defensively .. and talk of him worth 10/15 million ? .. I don't think so
  • edited September 2018
    We were so attackable in this league last season with a diags towards him.

Good player with the ball, bang average without the ball.

Left mid I'd take him back but left back, not for me.
  • We were so attackable in this league last season with a diags towards him.

Good player with the ball, bang average without the ball.

Left mid I'd take him back but left back, not for me.

But he was an increasingly good 1-v-1 defender and I think sometimes people overrate how often he was attacked in the air. He's certainly young and somewhat raw defensively but he also blocked a lot of crosses and attacks coming down his side. To say he's average without the ball is way over the top.

I'd certainly have him back, I think he's better than Page who had been very good this season but isn't exactly dominant in the air either. But I can't see him coming back. If it doesn't work out at Bristol I think there will be other Championship clubs willing to take him on, as well as clubs on the continent.

I actually think the latter would do him a lot of good. It would allow him to improve the technical and tactical side of his game without worrying about the dinosaur lump it to the center forward type football he'll face in League One but is unlikely to face nearly as much at the top levels of the game.
  • Moo said:

I am continually amazed that young players continue to go to the supposed big clubs.They will not get their chance,Jay is a cracking prospect,he can easily play at a higher level,and quite possibly given the chance play in the premiership.Chelsea won the fa youth cup last year,again,yet I believe John Terry was the last player to come through their youth system to play regularly.This obsession with paying 40-50 million for un heard of foreign no marks is killing our game.A bit of a rant,but it really pisses me off.

Very good post. Totally agree. Clubs should be made to play home grown players.
    Hence why the England team are never likely to win a tournament- not enough home grown players getting game time at the highest level.
    precisely. Gareth Southgate likes to play wingbacks & Da Silva would be perfect in that role imo. No way would he pick him for this years WC playing for a League 1 side so played Ashley Young & now Luke Shaw.
  • How much to get Dasilva permanently?

A lot
    Homegrown player
    20 years old
    England under 21 international

£15M minimum maybe more
    Unless he is a Charlton player in which case we'll pay you £15m to take him away.
  • Moo said:

I am continually amazed that young players continue to go to the supposed big clubs.They will not get their chance,Jay is a cracking prospect,he can easily play at a higher level,and quite possibly given the chance play in the premiership.Chelsea won the fa youth cup last year,again,yet I believe John Terry was the last player to come through their youth system to play regularly.This obsession with paying 40-50 million for un heard of foreign no marks is killing our game.A bit of a rant,but it really pisses me off.

Very good post. Totally agree. Clubs should be made to play home grown players.
    Hence why the England team are never likely to win a tournament- not enough home grown players getting game time at the highest level.
    precisely. Gareth Southgate likes to play wingbacks & Da Silva would be perfect in that role imo. No way would he pick him for this years WC playing for a League 1 side so played Ashley Young & now Luke Shaw.
    He's also nowhere near good enough to play for England.
  • Quality player who is well above League One level. I doubt he will be available in January as he is there on a season long loan, and if he did, I would assume another Championship club will take him.

Would love him back and think as a left wing back he’d be quality as he would have more of license to get forward and have the support behind him of the left centre back.
  • He is not worth more than 2-3m tops right now. Total punt on a player who was decent league one but barely played above that level
  • Not featured for Bristol City for their last few games.

Anyone know if he's injured or just dropped out of favour?

If it's the latter ........
  • Can we have him back yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dasilva had a run of six matches for Lee Johnson’s side but has not been on the bench for the last three fixtures and prior to that was unused for two games.

“We’d love to have him back with us but I can’t see it being a possibility,” said Bowyer. “He has gone up to the Championship and done well.

“I’d be surprised if Chelsea take him back and loan him to us.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/is-on-loan-chelsea-defender-a-realistic-target-for-charlton-athletic-addicks-boss-bowyer-has-his-say/
  • edited December 2018

How much to get Dasilva permanently?

A lot
    Homegrown player
    20 years old
    England under 21 international

£15M minimum maybe more
    15m for a left back who hasn't performed (well) at a level any higher than league one?!!

If a left back is going to cost 15m then it's more likely to be Kelly, the guy who's keeping Dasilva out of the Bristol city side.
  • clive said:

Dasilva had a run of six matches for Lee Johnson’s side but has not been on the bench for the last three fixtures and prior to that was unused for two games.

“We’d love to have him back with us but I can’t see it being a possibility,” said Bowyer. “He has gone up to the Championship and done well.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/is-on-loan-chelsea-defender-a-realistic-target-for-charlton-athletic-addicks-boss-bowyer-has-his-say/

That says to me we've made the suggestion to Chelsea.
    We have. We’ve enquired several times

• Swisdom said:

clive said:

Dasilva had a run of six matches for Lee Johnson’s side but has not been on the bench for the last three fixtures and prior to that was unused for two games.

And it sounds like they have said, so far at least, no.
  • Maybe showing that the management team are already doing the groundwork of team strengthening ahead of the January transfer window.
  • id have jay back in a heartbeat. superb player last season for us.
  • Did we ask Chelsea about Fabregas as well?
  • Swisdom said:

clive said:

My waters tell me that may well change though unless JDS is much more heavily involved in games over the Christmas period. Or at least, I suspect he won't be at Brizzle after January. That is just my gut feeling though, based on absolutely zero inside knowledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• With his situation at Bristol City and our desperate situation at left back, it is something I can see happening...
  • Sage said:

With his situation at Bristol City and our desperate situation at left back, it is something I can see happening...

I cant... not once did Chelsea recall him during his first spell with us when he didnt play for two months so expect no different this time around
  • Can’t see it but Chelsea want him in the shop window. He’ll never play for them so they want a return. They won’t get that with him in the Bristol stiffs.
  • Swisdom said:

clive said:

My waters tell me that may well change though unless JDS is much more heavily involved in games over the Christmas period. Or at least, I suspect he won't be at Brizzle after January. That is just my gut feeling though, based on absolutely zero inside knowledge.
    Agree. The will want him playing, even if not for us.
  • Sage said:

With his situation at Bristol City and our desperate situation at left back, it is something I can see happening...

I cant... not once did Chelsea recall him during his first spell with us when he didnt play for two months so expect no different this time around
    That's completely different though because it was his first loan. This time if Chelsea recall him they know teams will be interested based on his performances for us.
  • Sage said:

They couldn’t recall him, players can only be recalled when the transfer window is open and he joined in January (aside from short term loans to non-league, and maybe emergency goalkeeper loans).
  • I spoke to Jacko in the Summer and he told me they were trying very hard to get JDS back again, but he was not sure it was going to happen because CFC wanted him playing at a higher level. I guess that still applies.
    Pity.
  • I spoke to Jacko in the Summer and he told me they were trying very hard to get JDS back again, but he was not sure it was going to happen because CFC wanted him playing at a higher level. I guess that still applies.
    Pity.

But if he isn't getting enough game time, hopefully they would prefer he is playing in League 1 rather then sitting on a Championship bench.

Would be a great signing, him and Page could even combine down the left IMO.
  • Chelsea already know what he can do in league one, so if they are going to recall him from Bristol City and want him in the shop window to maximise a potential transfer fee then surely they'll loan him to another championship side.
  • Chelsea already know what he can do in league one, so if they are going to recall him from Bristol City and want him in the shop window to maximise a potential transfer fee then surely they'll loan him to another championship side.

Probably end up at Derby