Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stan Collymore - accuses Ian Wright of being an Uncle Tom

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

Am amazed at comments like”I agree with some things Katie Hopkins says”. Not sure why that matters. I agree with some things the bloke who cleans my windows says, but his opinion is irrelevant. Not, however, as irrelevant as what Katie Hopkins says.
    Be careful what you wish for, Paul Elliott might be our Chairman.

I said that Masicat, due to the implied notion from Vincenzo that the Sun is a racist rag, evidenced by the fact that Hopkins and Richard Littlejohn work for them, implying therefore that their own views are racist and the Sun are happy to promote them.

I was simply stating that there is many a comment/argument/discussion that I have agreed completely with the aforementioned, thus one would assume by Vicenzo’s logic, that I am also a racist?

To clarify, I’m not.
  • Options

Rio Ferdinand once called Ashley Cole a " Choc Ice " and it hasn't stopped him getting work in the media .

• Options

Rio Ferdinand once called Ashley Cole a " Choc Ice " and it hasn't stopped him getting work in the media .

My mistake. Thank you .
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Was going to comment and judge, but don't know the history and previous comments to do so. Collymore acted terribly in the past, but also has reasons that might mitigate. He is probably correct in his descriptions of many pundits, but for me it isn't a black or white thing. I personally think it is better to have an opinionated pundit rather than one who is too careful not to upset anybody. But Wright isn't one of those and I think ought to be on TV more.

I think Collymore is better to listen to than many. Sad really that they have to have this sort of fight in public.

• Options
    I’ve followed Collymore for a while on twitter. I think he’s got a lot of demons and is quite unstable. I hope he doesn’t talk himself into trouble or worse based on some of tweets about depression sometimes.

I truly don’t believe that level of social media exposure or interaction can be good for him
  • Options
    Stan is completely unaware of the irony of abusing Ian Wright for working for the 'racist' Sun when he basically works for the Russian government which has an appalling record on human rights and where he would very likely face shocking racial abuse if he ever went to play football there.

The idea of calling Ian Wright an Uncle Tom is not only incredibly offensive it's also complete bollocks, Wright was an absolute hothead when he played and was one of the least obsequious people you could think of.

There's an interview with John Hartson on You Tube where he says Wright was one of the very few players who was ready to have a proper row post-match with an opponent who had wronged him during the match and recalled one game where Wright approached Norwich defender John Polston in the bar after the Norwich-Arsenal game and offered him outside.

Not exactly the behavior of a deferential Uncle Tom, is it? Plus, as @Leroy Ambrose says above, you'd back Brockley boy Wrighty all day long against that dopey Brummy twat Collymore.
  • Options
    Gotta say I hated (in the true sense if the word) Wright in the pantomime world of football and I think he knew he riled the opposition and was quite happy with the consequences, but through his work as a pundit, one gets to know him better and gotta say he's one of my favourites on the BBC and seems like a top bloke. Love his passion when England are playing.

Collymore? Nah, never been my cuppa tea, made worse when he slept a woman (or anyone for that matter) about in full public view, because she wouldn't leave a bar when he wanted to, but that would fit into line with someone who loses control when he don't get his own way. Always someone else's fault.

Re. Mental health - I'm gonna break my silence a bit here and say that I've lived with an immediate family member who suffers from severe mental health (paranoid schizophrenia and depression), since I was born virtually and although I appreciate it can affect folk in different ways, I've never been beating or attacked for not doing as I was told. In SC's case, I don't think bouts of depression can be blamed for him being a confrontational and controlling wanker on a continual basis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both were excellent players. Collymore was more talented than his achievements. Wright was one of the best finishers I have seen.
  • Options
    Should Collymore have said it? No. But it never ceases to me amaze me how many people will attack Collymore for anything he ever did.

I would never condone hitting anyone without good reason let alone a woman but I don't recall SC offering up excuses about mental health as the reason. That seems to be everyone else making excuses for him. Ive always found he's taken responsibility for that incident regardless of how vulgar it was.

I don't understand how the public can hate SC but adore Gazza. Gazza by all accounts was like SC on steroids yet we've forgoven him. He was a man that alledgedly beat his wife on several occasions. And it's not a few tears and one goal against Scotland thats shaped that is it?

• Options

Stan is completely unaware of the irony of abusing Ian Wright for working for the 'racist' Sun when he basically works for the Russian government which has an appalling record on human rights and where he would very likely face shocking racial abuse if he ever went to play football there.

The idea of calling Ian Wright an Uncle Tom is not only incredibly offensive it's also complete bollocks, Wright was an absolute hothead when he played and was one of the least obsequious people you could think of.

There's an interview with John Hartson on You Tube where he says Wright was one of the very few players who was ready to have a proper row post-match with an opponent who had wronged him during the match and recalled one game where Wright approached Norwich defender John Polston in the bar after the Norwich-Arsenal game and offered him outside.

Not exactly the behavior of a deferential Uncle Tom, is it? Plus, as @Leroy Ambrose says above, you'd back Brockley boy Wrighty all day long against that dopey Brummy twat Collymore.

Wouldn't happen. Collymore only fights woman.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

Should Collymore have said it? No. But it never ceases to me amaze me how many people will attack Collymore for anything he ever did.

I would never condone hitting anyone without good reason let alone a woman but I don't recall SC offering up excuses about mental health as the reason. That seems to be everyone else making excuses for him. Ive always found he's taken responsibility for that incident regardless of how vulgar it was.

I don't understand how the public can hate SC but adore Gazza. Gazza by all accounts was like SC on steroids yet we've forgoven him. He was a man that alledgedly beat his wife on several occasions. And it's not a few tears and one goal against Scotland thats shaped that is it?

This is a good point. Hitting a woman or anybody weaker than yourself is about as low as you can go! But mental health issues can affect people's behaviours and it should be possible to pity them and have sympathy if you feel they feel regret.
  • Options
    Gazza is too busy fighting for his life. It breaks my heart to see him now. He was a great footballer.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Daddy_Pig said:

The big difference is that Gazza doesn't go around blaming others for his shortcomings.
    But SC doesnt blame anyone but himself for hitting Ulrika. Doesn't blame anyone else for his mental health condition. He highlights an issue for BAME people in football and gets all sorts of shit thrown his way.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

cafctom said:

Daddy_Pig said:

The big difference is that Gazza doesn't go around blaming others for his shortcomings.
    But SC doesnt blame anyone but himself for hitting Ulrika. Doesn't blame anyone else for his mental health condition. He highlights an issue for BAME people in football and gets all sorts of shit thrown his way.
    Would probably help if he wasn’t such a dickhead about it. Calling a fellow professional ‘a cunt’ isn’t the right way to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

cafctom said:

Daddy_Pig said:

He highlights and issue for SOME, BAME people.

Not everyone claims victimhood.
  • Options

Daddy_Pig said:

cafctom said:

Daddy_Pig said:

Would probably help if he wasn’t such a dickhead about it. Calling a fellow professional ‘a cunt’ isn’t the right way to go.
    Yes. Even if you privately think that you shouldnt be saying it. On a personal level for him it only undermines his own arguments.
  • Options
    How about we don't give Stan the attention that he craves?
  • Options
    clive said:

There is an interview with Wright where he meets his old school teacher and it’s quite moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPdemwaNzQ
    Me and Wright went to the same primary school.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

clive said:

There is an interview with Wright where he meets his old school teacher and it’s quite moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPdemwaNzQ
    Me and Wright went to the same primary school.
    Gordonbrock?
  • Options

It is rather pathetic to generally act like a twat, with the result that people don't want to work with you (apart from Putin's propaganda channel, that is) and then declare them racist for it.

Ian Wright is the polar opposite. Even though he may have close associations with the stripey, heron-worrying horrors and the Woolwich rejects, he comes across as a genuine, passionate and very likeable fella, IMHO. Calling him an Uncle Tom just makes Collymore look even more of a tool, and a jealous one at that.

He was very passionate when I had a chat with him in Izmir airport after England played out there in 93. He'd been battered all game and had to go off injured. He was still livid 3 hours after the final whistle, the actual term he used was "dirty Turkish c***s"

Gascoigne walked into the bar, went straight up to a group of lads at a table, picked up one of their pints, downed it in one, stuck his tongue out and laughed.

To be fair, he bought them all a drink afterwards.
  • Options
    I have never heard Ian Wright say anything remotely insightful or original on TV or radio.
  • Options
    i'll never forget the time a few years back when Wrighty said at half time in an England world cup (I think) game on the BBC at prime time in front of millions and I quote;

"I was creaming it!"

If that's not insightful I don't know what is!