Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there life on Mars?

124»

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

Is the aliens who built the pyramids?

Stargate was a science fiction programme, not a documentary.

I think a lot of people were fooled though.
    Cos it's more believable that ancient Egyptians cut granite, one of the hardest natural substances known to man, dead level (within .001mm), before hard metals were ever discovered, let alone laser a guided wet cutters.
    Despite all the ridicule I open myself up to, I very much believe in alien/intelligent life out there in the universe. You choose what you choose to believe, but there are just too many unanswered coincidences/mysteries for me that the existence of aliens answers quite well, the pyramids and how they were built being one of them

I’m dubious of things like Alien Abductions, but for me, I think they’ve visited earth before and will do again at some point

The issue I have is that the probabilities that make Alien life incredibly likely also indicate why we are unlikely to either hear from it or meet it. It isn't just distance, but times have to align too! Knowing there is or has been life on another planet, no matter how rudimentary, will tell us that life on other planets is about as likely as it is possible to be! This will be the most likely way we will discover this.
    I’m also a big believer in all sorts of theoretical physics and there being stuff in this universe (and potentially others) that we can’t explain, and could be used to allow for intelligent life form to travel both in distance and in time

I guess the best analogy I could give is one I read in a book about dimensions. If you’re a fish swimming in the sea and you exist deep down in some unfathomable depth. Your universe is essentially a dark deep place and you don’t realise that a few miles above you is teeming with life and you can in fact break through the sea and into the air into our atmosphere. The universe we experience and the physics in it constrains us and what we can do in the same it does the fish in the depths of the ocean

We’ve invented technology to allow us to get to the bottom of the ocean, I reckon it could be the same for alien life out there in reaching us :smiley:
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Cos it's more believable that ancient Egyptians cut granite, one of the hardest natural substances known to man, dead level (within .001mm), before hard metals were ever discovered, let alone laser a guided wet cutters.
    Despite all the ridicule I open myself up to, I very much believe in alien/intelligent life out there in the universe. You choose what you choose to believe, but there are just too many unanswered coincidences/mysteries for me that the existence of aliens answers quite well, the pyramids and how they were built being one of them

I’m dubious of things like Alien Abductions, but for me, I think they’ve visited earth before and will do again at some point

The issue I have is that the probabilities that make Alien life incredibly likely also indicate why we are unlikely to either hear from it or meet it. It isn't just distance, but times have to align too! Knowing there is or has been life on another planet, no matter how rudimentary, will tell us that life on other planets is about as likely as it is possible to be! This will be the most likely way we will discover this.
    I’m also a big believer in all sorts of theoretical physics and there being stuff in this universe (and potentially others) that we can’t explain, and could be used to allow for intelligent life form to travel both in distance and in time

I guess the best analogy I could give is one I read in a book about dimensions. If you’re a fish swimming in the sea and you exist deep down in some unfathomable depth. Your universe is essentially a dark deep place and you don’t realise that a few miles above you is teeming with life and you can in fact break through the sea and into the air into our atmosphere. The universe we experience and the physics in it constrains us and what we can do in the same it does the fish in the depths of the ocean

We’ve invented technology to allow us to get to the bottom of the ocean, I reckon it could be the same for alien life out there in reaching us :smiley:
    The problem with that analogy is that unlike fish humans know that there is a greater universe out there with all kinds of possibilities (and none). Fish haven't invented things (although some have evolved) to be able to explore different realms and most fish in the dark are unable to live in sunlit waters.
  • Options
    Google's had its work cut out today.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

The problem with that analogy is that unlike fish humans know that there is a greater universe out there with all kinds of possibilities (and none). Fish haven't invented things (although some have evolved) to be able to explore different realms and most fish in the dark are unable to live in sunlit waters.
    So you’re saying these deep down fish need to invent something that does the opposite of a torch and then they could swim up to the surface, chill out on the beaches and stuff??
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Daddy_Pig said:

Danepak said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7NzjCmUf0&t=2s

From 3.37 it becomes mind blowing.

I'll go as far to say that if someone can prove (which they obviously can't) to me that there's no life elsewhere in the universe, then I'll start believing in God...

Prove there's no God and I'll start believing in aliens. See the problem there?

Just my opinion but there are two ways of looking at this.
    1. There is life here why is there not life elsewhere?
    2. There is no life anywhere else. Why is it here?

My loose understanding is this... The universe is heading towards energy entropy. That is to say that all atoms will eventually disperse their energy between eachother and that every atom will eventually be at disequilibrium. However atoms behave in such a way as to avoid inevitable entropy. Atoms came together in such a way that made them more efficient in retaining energy and the result of this was life. It also underpins why every evolutionary leap in life on earth has been thermodynamically more efficient than the last. The conditions for this to happen is so small that the chance of life occuring is virtually zero.

Therefore, IMO, the universe is lifeless except for here. We're a bunch of stardust that came together in one place at one time in one hell of a fluke.
    @Daddy_Pig Do you have any references for this? I'd be interested in reading more.
    AddciksAddict the best book I’ve read that can give you an overview of thinks like this in layman’s terms was called time is in our hands by Christoph galtard

He was a student of prof Hawkins and if you like what daddy pig mentioned, it’s worth a punt
    @cabbles Cheers. I'll look it up.
  • Options
    Have a read of the Fermi paradox as well...
  • Options
    Given the size of the universe, and how small we are in comparison, there is a statistical certainty that life exists elsewhere within the universe. However, that life could be an intangible amount of lightyears away, and as such would never be contactable, and even if they were the amount of different evolution paths nature can take would mean their communication, language, appearance and intellectual ability would be vastly different to ours. Imagine a world of giant intelligent fish, that live in permanent underwater residence and communicate by light. Or flighted snakes that communicate by rhythmic dance in the air, or feline faced octopi that live in underground cities because the surface of their world is 150°C, and instead of breathing they live by sucking the nutrients out of the rock they live in through suckers attached to their 8 legs.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Given the size of the universe, and how small we are in comparison, there is a statistical certainty that life exists elsewhere within the universe. However, that life could be an intangible amount of lightyears away, and as such would never be contactable, and even if they were the amount of different evolution paths nature can take would mean their communication, language, appearance and intellectual ability would be vastly different to ours. Imagine a world of giant intelligent fish, that live in permanent underwater residence and communicate by light. Or flighted snakes that communicate by rhythmic dance in the air, or feline faced octopi that live in underground cities because the surface of their world is 150°C, and instead of breathing they live by sucking the nutrients out of the rock they live in through suckers attached to their 8 legs.

Croydon?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

So you’re saying these deep down fish need to invent something that does the opposite of a torch and then they could swim up to the surface, chill out on the beaches and stuff??
    Well they would need to also invent something that allows them to first extract more oxygen from the sunlit water and then something that would allow them to live outside of water, then I guess they need some kind of all terrain skateboard type device to get around on dry land.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Croydon?
    Maybe that's the problem, all the alien life land in Croydon, and decide humans aren't of sufficient intelligence to interact with and leave again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fumbluff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Well they would need to also invent something that allows them to first extract more oxygen from the sunlit water and then something that would allow them to live outside of water, then I guess they need some kind of all terrain skateboard type device to get around on dry land.
    Woah, woah, woah, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. First things first, how can we help them out/set them on the right path with their anti-torch devices.
    I’m assuming they’d have to be head-worn yes? Is that correct?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Fumbluff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Woah, woah, woah, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. First things first, how can we help them out/set them on the right path with their anti-torch devices.
    I’m assuming they’d have to be head-worn yes? Is that correct?
    I am sure the fish we are talking about can hold a specially adapted anti-torch in their little flippers otherwise it could be mayhem as most of them don't have foreheads.
  • Options
    Never mind the fishpeople - what about the superintelligent shades of the colour blue?
  • Options
    They have found possible life on mars but I still can’t get a poxy signal in Chiselhurst.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

They have found possible life on mars but I still can’t get a poxy signal in Chiselhurst.

Valiant Thor’s plane blocking signal mate