Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is there life on Mars?

Comments

• edited June 2018
    seth plum said:

Is there incontrovertible evidence of the existence of methane on Mars?
    If so it will rank as probably one of the biggest ever discoveries in Science.
    Proof presumably, that life, alien life, is out there.
    Amazing if true.

There is incontrovertible evidence of methane in my living room. The guilty party (the dog) as gone up to our bedroom to sweeten the atmosphere in there. Serves my wife right for watching Love Island!!! I wonder if they have crap like that on another planet!
  • Is the aliens who built the pyramids?

Stargate was a science fiction programme, not a documentary.

I think a lot of people were fooled though.
  • The Earth and Mars are the same in so many ways. At certain times in the history of Mars even more so it seems.

We would have to be pretty insular as a species to think this is it, that Earth is the only place green sludge could of got a start, even if it never got further.

Fascinating stuff....i have always been hooked.
  • The Earth and Mars are the same in so many ways. At certain times in the history of Mars even more so it seems.

We would have to be pretty insular as a species to think this is it, that Earth is the only place green sludge could of got a start, even if it never got further.

Fascinating stuff....i have always been hooked.

??????????????

Do you mean like when the Romans were there?
  • The maths says that life elsewhere in the universe is statistically certain. It's just a case of whether we can find proof.
    If we find evidence on our closest neighbouring planet of some kind of life, then the odds of us finding intelligent life 'locally' goes up significantly.
  • You'll be saying we've been to the moon next!
  • fattmatt said:

The maths says that life elsewhere in the universe is statistically certain. It's just a case of whether we can find proof.
    If we find evidence on our closest neighbouring planet of some kind of life, then the odds of us finding intelligent life 'locally' goes up significantly.

Finding evidence of life on any of our solar system neighbouring planets would be astonishing.

As for elsewhere. I think the time scales and the distances involved will preclude our chances of coming accross life.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7NzjCmUf0&t=2s

From 3.37 it becomes mind blowing.

I'll go as far to say that if someone can prove (which they obviously can't) to me that there's no life elsewhere in the universe, then I'll start believing in God...
  • Yeah but everyone knows that Women are from Venus

Big Eyed Beans are from Venus actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF177Aj59C8
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

Yeah but everyone knows that Women are from Venus

I’m sure there are a few poets that could finish...There was a young lady from Venus...
    Don't let anything come between us.
  • All very good banter but I came into this thread for an answer. Stop arsing about and spit it out. I trust Charlton Life’s views on astrobiology.
  • A Martian walked into our local last week and ordered a pint. The landlord told him "we don't serve Martians in here mate".

The Martian asked the landlord that if he bought every person in the pub a drink, could he have one too? The landlord told him no and that he'd have to leave.

The Martian then asked if he bought every person 5 drinks and left a large tip, could he have one.

The landlord though about it and agreed. After he'd served all his punters (plus the Martian) their 5 drinks he told the Martian the bill was £375.

The Martian replied "no problem, have you got change of a Zlog?"

That doesn’t make sense. Why would The Martian expect change when a Zlog is only worth about 0.00053213 pence? Was The Martian a conman or are Martians just bad at arithmetic?
  • There’s more life on mars than there is a Charlton these days.
  • Very pleasant IPA, but not worth it’s own thread.

Looks good...stick it on the beer thread though.

Cos it's more believable that ancient Egyptians cut granite, one of the hardest natural substances known to man, dead level (within .001mm), before hard metals were ever discovered, let alone laser a guided wet cutters.
  • fattmatt said:

The maths says that life elsewhere in the universe is statistically certain. It's just a case of whether we can find proof.

Finding evidence of life on any of our solar system neighbouring planets would be astonishing.

As for elsewhere. I think the time scales and the distances involved will preclude our chances of coming accross life.

Deptford ain't that far from Shooters Hill

Cos it's more believable that ancient Egyptians cut granite, one of the hardest natural substances known to man, dead level (within .001mm), before hard metals were ever discovered, let alone laser a guided wet cutters.
    Apart from the fact that they are made of limestone are you being serious?

What were?

What were?
    The Houses of effing Parliament obviously.
  • Sponsored links:

What were?
    Calm down mate.

Oh, so I take it you wrongly presumed I meant effing pyramids?

No, I never mentioned those at all, I just said that they were milling granite very accurately back the and making stuff like obelisks, monuments, vases, statues etc. out of it.

Sorry for the miscommunication mate

What were?
    Calm down mate.

No, I never mentioned those at all, I just said that they were milling granite very accurately back the and making stuff like obelisks, monuments, vases, statues etc. out of it.

Apart from your original post which was " Is the aliens who built the pyramids?"

What were?
    Calm down mate.

Apart from your original post which was " Is the aliens who built the pyramids?"
    Oh do come on, are you seriously going with that?

What were?
    Calm down mate.

Oh do come on, are you seriously going with that?
    Its a good job you are funny.
  • Anyway, getting back to my point...
  • Welly said:

There’s more life on mars than there is a Charlton these days.

The atmospheres not as good though but I do like the bars.
  • Danepak said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7NzjCmUf0&t=2s

I'll go as far to say that if someone can prove (which they obviously can't) to me that there's no life elsewhere in the universe, then I'll start believing in God...

Prove there's no God and I'll start believing in aliens. See the problem there?

Just my opinion but there are two ways of looking at this.
    1. There is life here why is there not life elsewhere?
    2. There is no life anywhere else. Why is it here?

My loose understanding is this... The universe is heading towards energy entropy. That is to say that all atoms will eventually disperse their energy between eachother and that every atom will eventually be at disequilibrium. However atoms behave in such a way as to avoid inevitable entropy. Atoms came together in such a way that made them more efficient in retaining energy and the result of this was life. It also underpins why every evolutionary leap in life on earth has been thermodynamically more efficient than the last. The conditions for this to happen is so small that the chance of life occuring is virtually zero.

Therefore, IMO, the universe is lifeless except for here. We're a bunch of stardust that came together in one place at one time in one hell of a fluke.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Danepak said:

My loose understanding is this... The universe is heading towards energy entropy. That is to say that all atoms will eventually disperse their energy between eachother and that every atom will eventually be at disequilibrium. However atoms behave in such a way as to avoid inevitable entropy. Atoms came together in such a way that made them more efficient in retaining energy and the result of this was life. It also underpins why every evolutionary leap in life on earth has been thermodynamically more efficient than the last. The conditions for this to happen is so small that the chance of life occuring is virtually zero.

Therefore, IMO, the universe is lifeless except for here. We're a bunch of stardust that came together in one place at one time in one hell of a fluke.
    What about Metal Mickey?
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Danepak said:

What about Metal Mickey?
    Not as thermodynamically efficient as his successors
  • Just sell the club and FUCK OFF