Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Milky tea...

Comments

• No milk needed, but if I make tea, it’s milk last.
  • Milk first.

For the simple reason that by doing milk last means there will be a layer of scum left on the inside of the mug.

And no one likes scum unless you are scum.

Adds to the flavour
  • Scum alert
  • Milk first.

For the simple reason that by doing milk last means there will be a layer of scum left on the inside of the mug.

And no one likes scum unless you are scum.

Get a water filter, makes a massive difference.
  • FFS - when does the season start?

BTW its milk last. Anyone who says different is not a true Brit.
  • Ffs don’t get @Red_in_SE8 involved in this.

Please watch this and then close thread

https://youtu.be/vnvYymrCn4g
  • We've got one of the hot water taps with a built in water filter. I was skeptical at first, having seen some proper rubbish ones over the years in offices but this one has been brilliant. We bought it when we was at the Grand Designs show at Excel. Got it for £850, which was about £300-400 cheaper online. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I know it isn't the Quooker tap, as this one is supposed to be better. We also pay a very small monthly subscription to be sent the water filters every couple of months. It comes in the post, you unscrew the old one and put the new one on and it takes about 2-3 mins each time. The only PITA with it is the tank takes up a lot of cupboard space below the sink.

Anyway, milk last, absolutely no scum.

The only time you should put milk first in a cup/mug is when making instant coffee.
  • I Find that if you put the milk in last you get a scummy film on top .
  • Mug, bag, two sugars, boiling water, leave to stew/infuse for 5 minutes and then add milk. Stir.

That's it. Anyone that puts milk in first might as well purchase themselves a season ticket at Selhurst Park.

Bag? Philistine!

Loose leaf tea, in a pot, poured onto milk.
  • Sponsored links:

• fadgadget said:

I Find that if you put the milk in last you get a scummy film on top .

That's to do with the water, not the tea. You've still got it if you put the milk in first, you just don't see it.
  • I'm pathetically particular about my tea so it's always:

1. Remove any existing water from the kettle
    2. Add fresh water
    3. Boil
    4. Add boiling water to tea bag already in cup/mug and stir
    5. Leave for 3 - 5 minutes
    6. Stir, add milk, remove bag and enjoy

Tea bag in a cup? There's no hope for you. And it started off so well with steps 1 and 2.
    And what about rinsing the cup first with boiling water between steps 3 and 4?
  • I'm so glad this was taken off the Trump thread and given its own thread. Things were just getting too heated on that thread.

Also, milk last. I can't believe we're even having to discuss this.
  • I know lets have a referendum on it.
  • Rizzo said:

fadgadget said:

That's to do with the water, not the tea. You've still got it if you put the milk in first, you just don't see it.
    That Maybe the case , but I can tell if the milk has gone in first or Last by the scum , don't matter to me I will still drink it
  • If one is making tea with a bag in the cup, milk goes in last - the just boiled water has to go directly on the bag and the bag has to come out before the milk goes in, no exceptions, any divergence from this method is the kind of behaviour I'd expect from roly douchebag or millwall fans. Any problems with that and you need to take a stern look at yourself, or your taste buds are all fucked.
    Drenching the teabag in cold milk means it's never hot enough to brew and the very hot water cooks the milk changing the flavour and further ruining an already substandard drink.
    If properly brewing tea in a pot and then pouring into cups or mugs, the timing of the arrival of the milk is almost immaterial, maybe after the tea so that one can better see the colour/strength. At this time of year, educated palates are mostly drinking Earl Grey and milk is not a factor.
  • edited June 2018
    fadgadget said:

Thats because you've left it too long brewing before adding the milk (so said the man from PG)...no more than 3 mins or so. And use freshly boiled water.
  • I'm pathetically particular about my tea so it's always:

1. Remove any existing water from the kettle
    2. Add fresh water
    3. Boil
    4. Add boiling water to tea bag already in cup/mug and stir
    5. Leave for 3 - 5 minutes
    6. Stir, add milk, remove bag and enjoy

You can't be that particular if you use a tea bag.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

The only time you should put milk first in a cup/mug is when making instant coffee.

Instant coffee ??????

• Ffs don’t get @Red_in_SE8 involved in this.

Please watch this and then close thread

https://youtu.be/vnvYymrCn4g

Worth watching. More entertaining than the takeover thread.

• Sponsored links:

• To eliminate scum in tea move to a soft water area.
  • I bought some loose leaf Kenyan black tea from T2 in Bluewater.
    It comes packed in a box that has been pictures on it that have been drawn by orphans and all profits go to orphanages.
    The tea, apparently, is the strongest brew you can get. £8.00 a packet. No different from Sainsbury’s.
  • Milk always last, then you can see the strength of the cuppa.

If you put the milk in first, then supposedly means you are posh, that rules 90% of us lot out then! :smile:

Traditionally milk was only added first with poor bone china. The reason being the glaze might crack if you poured hot tea in first. Decent quality bone china won't crack, so you can pour the tea in first, as we normally do today.
  • Always in a pot for me. Tea bags nowadays as loose tea is just too messy. Milk in the mug first, then pour.
  • Rob said:

Always in a pot for me. Tea bags nowadays as loose tea is just too messy. Milk in the mug first, then pour.

I always add the milk second, because adding it first I always get the amount wrong and have to add more anyway. And isn't it a major disaster if you add too much milk first and the tea is too milky?!
  • To eliminate scum in tea move to a soft water area.

A bit of a drastic measure when fitting a water softener could cure a miner inconvenience.
    It’s not really scum anyway, just an unappetising film of shite floating on your first brew of the day.
  • It depends to me on whether

a) You're brewing in the mug with a tea bag, in which case the milk HAS to go in last, as otherwise you're cooling the water used to brew the tea, and will end up with weak, insipid tea (unless you like it that way) or
    b) You're brewing in a tea pot, when it doesn't make much difference. I prefer to put the milk in last as that way I can put in too little and top up if necessary.
  • fadgadget said:

Thats because you've left it too long brewing before adding the milk (so said the man from PG)...no more than 3 mins or so. And use freshly boiled water.
    like I said I can always tell if milk in first...…. it must be a gift .
  • JamesSeed said:

Rob said:

Always in a pot for me. Tea bags nowadays as loose tea is just too messy. Milk in the mug first, then pour.

I always add the milk second, because adding it first I always get the amount wrong and have to add more anyway. And isn't it a major disaster if you add too much milk first and the tea is too milky?!
    I usually get it pretty much right. Err on the side of caution and add more milk if necessary. Conversely, If it is too milky can always drink a bit and top up or empty a bit and top up, but rarely have to do that.
  • A tea with a lot of milk is not necessarily a ‘milky tea’.

I’m always milk first.

I like living on the edge and getting the pure adrenaline rush associated with not being sure if you’ll fuck up a cup of tea with too much milk.

I’ve not got a deathwish though - so to this end I use 3 teabags for 2 cups.

Milk and two teabags in one and milk and one teabag in the other.

The 2 bagger can always be salvaged if it has too much milk in and when it’s looking good I then can transfer the 2 bags from cup 1 to cup 2 to do any reparations on the (initial) one bagger as needed.

Simple eh?