Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Milky tea...

Does the milk go in first or last?

Over to you.

Comments

• First...Navy way of doing it.
  • For Milky Tea first. Normal Tea last.
  • Always last, otherwise you're not getting tea but hot water.
  • I've heard that milk in the cup first goes back to a time when people would have really low quality china. It was so bad that it would crack or break when coming into contact with boiling water.
  • Milk always last, then you can see the strength of the cuppa.

If you put the milk in first, then supposedly means you are posh, that rules 90% of us lot out then! :smile:
  • My mum worked with a woman from Sri Lanka who would boil loose tea in milk, and then strain it.
  • I'm pathetically particular about my tea so it's always:

1. Remove any existing water from the kettle
    2. Add fresh water
    3. Boil
    4. Add boiling water to tea bag already in cup/mug and stir
    5. Leave for 3 - 5 minutes
    6. Stir, add milk, remove bag and enjoy

Programme on a few months ago showing how tea is made (PG I think) & showed how to make the perfect cuppa.....and you sir have it spot on.
  • 1st and I can tell if it’s not done in this way
  • Sponsored links:

• There’s only one way to make a proper brew and it’s in a tea pot!
    Preferably with loose tea.
  • For me, not at all. Milk is disgusting.
  • The wife always insists on milk first and, apart from telling her she's an abomination unto God, I also ask her how much milk I should put in the teapot.
  • First. I know......I know.
  • Tried to explain this to my wife... If you put the milk in first, it cools the water making it harder for the tea to come out the bag. If using a pot, yeah, milk in the cup first by all means - makes no difference
  • There’s only one way to make a proper brew and it’s in a tea pot!
    Preferably with loose tea.

And no milk!!!
  • Mug, bag, two sugars, boiling water, leave to stew/infuse for 5 minutes and then add milk. Stir.

That's it. Anyone that puts milk in first might as well purchase themselves a season ticket at Selhurst Park.
  • I can’t stand waiting for kettle to boil or for tea to infuse.

Has anyone got one of those boiling water taps? Any good?
  • Does the milk go in first or last?

Over to you.

Are we talking bag in a mug or pot of tea?
  • I can’t stand waiting for kettle to boil or for tea to infuse.

Plenty of them in the many offices I've worked in. Thought about having them installed at my offices but my staff prefer a kettle as the taps aren't boiling water. They can't be for health and safety reasons. They are 'hot boiled water' and don't infuse the bag as a freshly boil kettle does.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Zip taps work fine for a brew, just takes a bit longer (unless like me you are impatient and just mash the bag with a spoon) but the one at our work keeps breaking
  • Never milk first. What kind of mental does that?!
  • edited June 2018
    milky tea is just wrong.

to make the best cuppa milk in first let the tea brew without stirring for 5 minutes, then stir remove tea bag and away you go.
  • edited June 2018

I can’t stand waiting for kettle to boil or for tea to infuse.

Yes. It's a Franke one.

Keeps around 4 litres of water at boiling. Great for tea - no waiting an age for the kettle to boil and also adding hot water to saucepans of veg so that they come back to simmer much quicker on the hob. The convenience is great and you don't have some horrible kettle thingy cluttering up the work surface.

Downside? Well, very expensive to buy. Although not noticed that expensive to run. And after 5 years the under-plinth water tank knackered and kept tripping out. (Hard water I guess). Bought a new design in cupboard tank which is a big improvement in that there is much less "spluttering/spitting" of boiling water out of the tap.

I like it. Felt horrible going back to a kettle when it was broken.

Edited to add: sorry forgot to say, there's also a water filter inline to take out all the nasties (chlorine, etc). These need replacing every six months and (like all water filters) are a rip-off at £40 a pop.
  • Splash of milk at the end of the brew. Anything else is high treason!
  • You want a manky hot water tap because you can't wait 2 mins for a kettle to boil.....wtf ???

You are a miserable arsehole aren't you? I answer a question for someone - you choose to go into a rant about someone's lifestyle choices..... You see where I'm coming from? Have you considered seeking help?

It's not just the wait though, the water tastes better. (I've got a filtered cold tap too.)
  • Milk always last, then you can see the strength of the cuppa.

If you put the milk in first, then supposedly means you are posh, that rules 90% of us lot out then! :smile:

You don't adjust the strength of tea with the milk. Put the amount of milk you'd normally have in first then start to pour the tea. If the tea's too strong, add more boiling water.
  • I'm pathetically particular about my tea so it's always:

1. Remove any existing water from the kettle
    2. Add fresh water
    3. Boil
    4. Add boiling water to tea bag already in cup/mug and stir
    5. Leave for 3 - 5 minutes
    6. Stir, add milk, remove bag and enjoy

Tea bag in a cup? There's no hope for you. And it started off so well with steps 1 and 2.
  • cafcfan said:

You want a manky hot water tap because you can't wait 2 mins for a kettle to boil.....wtf ???

You are a miserable arsehole aren't you? I answer a question for someone - you choose to go into a rant about someone's lifestyle choices..... You see where I'm coming from? Have you considered seeking help?

It's not just the wait though, the water tastes better. (I've got a filtered cold tap too.)
    You drink boiling hot water? on it's own? Not sure you'd be able to taste any difference whatsoever due to scalding the entirety of your mouth.