Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Nigeria

Comments

• Options
    Delph has looked quite nice on the ball at CDM
    Might be worth a start
  • Options
    Macronate said:

10,000 Nigerians in the crowd.

That’s fantastic away support, the Nigerian airports must’ve been chock a block.

Won’t be able to get a cab anywhere tonight :wink:
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Delph has looked quite nice on the ball at CDM
    Might be worth a start

Would have him over Dier in a heartbeat
  • Options
    As Sven would say........first half good, second half not so good.

Nice to see Kane not taking the corners.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

That’s fantastic away support, the Nigerian airports must’ve been chock a block.

There was a lot lot more than that. My section was probably about 20% Nigerian. Whole stadium was basically a mixed zone.

• Options
    Plenty of half / half scarfs on show
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Macronate said:

There was a lot more than that. My section was probably about 20% Nigerian. Whole stadium was basically a mixed zone.

Just like the old days when we had about 50 Argentinians in our pen getting all upset when Ratin got his marching orders in the 1966 QF :wink:
  • Options
    Q1 When Danny Wellbeck gets a run at goal, why does he invariably slow down, to let a defender get goal side and block his way to goal ?

PS I think I know the answer.

Q2 Harry Kane scores the majority of his goals, by shooting hard and low, as soon as there's the slightest opportunity.
    Why do many strikers shoot high & wide and not follow his example ?
  • Options
    World cup is ours on that performance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Player ratings as voted for by ‘fans’

Even the comments under the tweet are ridiculous.
  • Options
    Just trying to imagine what we would have done with someone who can pass a bloody football - like Shelvey.
  • Options
    First half our movement and passing was quality, probably the best I’ve seen from England in ages. Nigeria matched us man for man tactically second half and we were shit. I just hope Southgate is proactive with his tactics should that happen in the WC. Far too many tournament we’ve been let down by managers doing nothing.
  • Options
    I didn't watch the game. But from the post on here about it, watching dog turd disintegrate is more interesting than watching England.
  • Options

I didn't watch the game. But from the post on here about it, watching dog turd disintegrate is more interesting than watching England.

So you didn't see the 1st half?

I get Iceland 2 years ago but move on abit...
  • Options

Not really as most have said on here

1st half was fantastic
    2nd half dropped alot but constant subs and not playing for 3 weeks has had an inpact on that.

But you cant fault the 1st half
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sterlings record for England is 2 goals in 38 matches. He scores a goal every 20 Chances for the national side.

For Man city he scored 23 goals this season.
    With David Silva and Kevin de bruyne I would fancy myself for 20 goals.

Play two strikers in Kane and Vardy,
    They are the best two finishers.

Walker is an average defender, but the best attacking wing back we have.
    Trippier had a decent game but seeing Walker play as a defensive defender just seems strange.
  • Options

Sterlings record for England is 2 goals in 38 matches. He scoes a goal every 20 Chances for the national side.

Trippier had a decent game but seeing Walker play as a defensive defender just seems strange.

I am confused as to why Vardy doesn't start more games
  • Options
    The second half nearly had me wishing I was watching Britain's Got Talent!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sterlings record for England is 2 goals in 38 matches. He scoes a goal every 20 Chances for the national side.

Yup. I hope we just attack.
    Decent defence and decent forward line, awful midfield so just bypass them.
    Hit it into the channels for Kane and Vardy and have a right go at teams. Push up and smother them with an attacking style, none of this sideways passing. Dier to Henderson and back again. Six foot apart from each other in our own half. Against Tunisia. 0-0.
    Argh!!!!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Yup. I hope we just attack.
    Decent defence and decent forward line, awful midfield so just bypass them.
    Hit it into the channels for Kane and Vardy and have a right go at teams. Push up and smother them with an attacking style, none of this sideways passing. Dier to Henderson and back again. Six foot apart from each other in our own half. Against Tunisia. 0-0.
    Argh!!!!
    I agree.

I would rather we had a real go playing the only two decent goal scorers we have (Rashford in the future) Kane + Vardy.

The pass, pass and pass again is great when you have a 2 goal lead but no good when it allows a team to get 10 players behind the ball.
    Man city have the ability to play the 1000 passes and still score, this England team will struggle to break teams down if they play the slow tempo.
  • Options

Redskin said:

How does anyone muster up any enthusiasm for an England game, just asking?

#suckersforpunishment

Oh, do fuck off.
    Charming! Didn’t get past kindergarten?
    I didn't go to kindergarten, but getting through primary school was an absolute breeze, as I imagine it was for you at Everybody look at me I'm so outré school.
  • Options

Sterlings record for England is 2 goals in 38 matches. He scores a goal every 20 Chances for the national side.

Or play Sterling in a system that suits him. Only Southgate has done that so far. Absurd to drop Sterling.
  • Options

Or play Sterling in a system that suits him. Only Southgate has done that so far. Absurd to drop Sterling.
    Exactly. Sterling will score more goals for England under Southgate.

Trippier is also a better wing back than Walker. His crossing is one of the best in the Prem.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Redskin said:

How does anyone muster up any enthusiasm for an England game, just asking?

#suckersforpunishment

Oh, do fuck off.
    Charming! Didn’t get past kindergarten?
    I didn't go to kindergarten, but getting through primary school was an absolute breeze, as I imagine it was for you at Everybody look at me I'm so outré school.
    Don't feed the troll
  • Options
    I can see why Southgate has gone for Trippier on the right. His crossing is so much better than Walker's. Thats based on watching them both in their time at Spurs.

We're not graced with a CB with pace so I can understand why Southgate has given us some pace by playing Walker in the 3.

As for Dier, he's not blessed with pace either but he does read the game well. Its interesting hearing people dont rate him. I think Spurs look so much assured when he's playing as one of the central two in front of the defence. Dembele - Dier works really well and they play great, Wanyama - Dier not so as they are far too similar. I cant for the life of me remember Poch starting Dier as a sole holding midfielder. For the sake of creativity, I think Southgate knows he cant play with 2 holding midfielders in his system as we just wont get forward. But then Henderson doesnt play as the sole holding player at Liverpool either, he plays alongside Milner or Can. Maybe play him in the back 3 then when we've got the ball, he can be pushed into midfield and make another man, flooding the middle meaning the front four can press higher.

I'd love to see Southgate find a starting position for Vardy. Why not play Vardy up top with Kane in behind as a no.10. One of his main strengths is that he can drop deep and runners like Alli, Eriksen, Son and Lamela go on past him and he can pick a pass. It'll probably give him more space too. Both of them score goals for fun. Use them to their strengths.

The lack of creativity in the middle worries me more than anything though.

I've lost count how many times I've picked up a piece of paper at work, trying to find the perfext starting XI with the current squad yet ended throwing it in the bin. Injury issues or not, its crying out for Wilshere's passing ability in the middle and possibly Llallana too, who would have been ideal on the left where Alli started yesterday.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I can see why Southgate has gone for Trippier on the right. His crossing is so much better than Walker's. Thats based on watching them both in their time at Spurs.

We're not graced with a CB with pace so I can understand why Southgate has given us some pace by playing Walker in the 3.

As for Dier, he's not blessed with pace either but he does read the game well. Its interesting hearing people dont rate him. I think Spurs look so much assured when he's playing as one of the central two in front of the defence. Dembele - Dier works really well and they play great, Wanyama - Dier not so as they are far too similar. I cant for the life of me remember Poch starting Dier as a sole holding midfielder. For the sake of creativity, I think Southgate knows he cant play with 2 holding midfielders in his system as we just wont get forward. But then Henderson doesnt play as the sole holding player at Liverpool either, he plays alongside Milner or Can. Maybe play him in the back 3 then when we've got the ball, he can be pushed into midfield and make another man, flooding the middle meaning the front four can press higher.

I'd love to see Southgate find a starting position for Vardy. Why not play Vardy up top with Kane in behind as a no.10. One of his main strengths is that he can drop deep and runners like Alli, Eriksen, Son and Lamela go on past him and he can pick a pass. It'll probably give him more space too. Both of them score goals for fun. Use them to their strengths.

The lack of creativity in the middle worries me more than anything though.

I've lost count how many times I've picked up a piece of paper at work, trying to find the perfext starting XI with the current squad yet ended throwing it in the bin. Injury issues or not, its crying out for Wilshere's passing ability in the middle and possibly Llallana too, who would have been ideal on the left where Alli started yesterday.

Will try to watch and enjoy England in the World Cup but not expecting much at all save for getting knocked out at the group stage . Still have horrible nightmares about that game against Iceland a few years ago half of which team was made up of Spurs players ( A bit like the Guildford 4 or the Birmingham 6 ) " the Iceland 5 " - Rose , walker , Dier , Alli and Kane.Woeful beyond belief .
  • Options
    though I would personally not have any of those players who played against Iceland anywhere near the national team again, I guess there is a positive from having a few of them. cos I bet they wont ever again want to feel like they did after that result. hopefully that will drive them on and we only get knocked out (if we get knocked out :wink: ) when we go up against a top side.
  • Options
    No doubt Sterling is mega frustrating but one thing I’ll say about him, he’s always involved. If he could add composure in the box and finishing to his game he’d be a superstar, but he never hides and sees a huge amount of the ball.

Alli worries me, he doesn’t look on his A-game and if I was to make a prediction now it will be he’ll be a World Cup disappointment. Stones equally concerns me that there is a lot more hype than reliable performance around him.

On the whole though, I quite like what Southgate has done since he’s take charge.