Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2026 World Cup

Comments

• Wrong thread guys!

Though may I say that Scotland were very unlucky to not qualify for 2026 after losing 4-0 to Malta, the 3rd goal was definitely offside.

Yeah sorry I started it. I switched back over to the 2018 thread.

I'll try to write more later, but as a US taxpayer, I'm not overly thrilled that we're going to be giving FIFA free reign and tax free money. The infrastructure is certainly there, a lot of the old shit American football stadiums from the 1970s that featured in World Cup '94 have been renovated or replaced, internal domestic flights are pretty easy, though it's a lot of ground to cover, and I fully expect the three countries to put on a really good World Cup. I just don't really want FIFA benefiting.
  • Pretty excited about this - 4 games scheduled to be played in Edmonton so as long as I don't need to get a second mortgage for tickets I hope I'll be able to attend all of them.
  • so Mexico host it for a third time. The U.S.A who don't even like football that much host it for a second time with the last time back in the 90s and then we have Canada, where on the most part no sod lives.

This really isn't true anymore - football's popularity in the States has grown exponentially since 1994 and they attracted large crowds to games even then. Interest will likely be even larger than it is today by 2026.
  • so Mexico host it for a third time. The U.S.A who don't even like football that much host it for a second time with the last time back in the 90s and then we have Canada, where on the most part no sod lives.

This really isn't true anymore - football's popularity in the States has grown exponentially since 1994 and they attracted large crowds to games even then. Interest will likely be even larger than it is today by 2026.
    that might be true and I have no reason to doubt it (though I hear Fox are feeling a bit nervous after paying for the coverage this year and the US not being involved) but in the UK football already is popular and its the country's biggest sport by some distance. its a bit galling to think the USA have had a world cup in the 90s, they're now set for another one in a few years time and we have only had the one in 66 and no sign of another one in the near future.

to be completely unreasonable Americans made their bed by having American football and baseball and basketball and other such bore fests so they should lie in it. they got the 'world' series and the soppah bowl every year so surely that's enough.
  • edited June 2018
    to be more reasonable I don't mind the US and Canada having it but Mexico for a third time?! and don't get me started on the bloody Qatar one. it just be nice if we had it cos it seems well overdue for the contribution the UK make to the game. just obviously not enough contribution to certain parties.
  • couldn't agree more @Karim_myBagheri

I'm sick of hearing this excuse that they want to bring the world cup to new countries as well - if you need to build stadiums in order to host it, it means football ain't big enough in your country to start with to have the honour to host it. I'll add to that the US if they are multi purposing stadiums that were built for other sports like they did in '94 as well.
  • edited June 2018
    Trump says it's going to be the best World Cup ever and Mexico's going to pay for it!
  • Trump says it's going to be the best World Cup ever and Mexico's going to pay for it!

Thankfully Trump won't be president by 2026, and instead it will be President Kanye in charge...
  • edited June 2018
    I don't begrudge the winners of the bidding process. In fact I'd be more inclined to believe there was something dodgy going on if it was awarded to Morocco - another country without the infrastructure to host.

Even Russia wasn't THAT farfetched although I'm biased and think our bid was obviously better.

It's the Qatar 2022 bid that I still can't get over. That should've gone to the Aussies.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    World Cup 2026 will be played at acceptable hours, if you're in NZ.
    Not like this upcoming one, where games will be on at 10pm, 1am and 4am...
  • Much like the NFL, I predict most games will revolve around EST. If a game starts at 10pm PST most people on the east coast won't be watching as it's 1am.

Much like the NFL Sunday and Monday nighter that kick off at 8:30 EST so 5:30 PST, I don't expect many games to kick off later than that.
  • FA in talks with home nations over UK-wide bid to host 2030 World Cup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/fa-talks-home-nations-uk-wide-bid-host-2030-world-cup

FFS... "Southgate will now refer to himself as from the English FA to avoid arrogance"

We are called the FA for historical reasons not arrogance
  • edited June 2018
    SDAddick said:

if he replaced i with we there really would be no issue. as most people in his standing would do the same if england got it would the pm say not me personally but others worked hard on this.
  • FA in talks with home nations over UK-wide bid to host 2030 World Cup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/fa-talks-home-nations-uk-wide-bid-host-2030-world-cup

Having the final and semi finals of Euro 2020 could either help or hinder the UK's chance of getting the World Cup in 2030. Long overdue to have a World Cup in England/the UK and with the stadiums in Cardiff and Glasgow hosting Champions League finals in recent years the UK bid should be a strong one. We'll probably lose to Azerbaijan or someone though.
  • 2030 will be 100 years from the first ever World Cup in 1930 which was hosted in Uruguay. I can see Uruguay using that as the main focal point behind their bid.
  • 2030 will be 100 years from the first ever World Cup in 1930 which was hosted in Uruguay. I can see Uruguay using that as the main focal point behind their bid.

No way could Uruguay hold a modern 48 team World Cup though, it's a tiny country (3.5m). Would the South American countries get together for a joint bid?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Uruguay & Argentina are planning a joint bid with potentially Paraguay, I believe.
  • Uruguay & Argentina are planning a joint bid with potentially Paraguay, I believe.

well that's that then
  • 4 games in Alberta - will have to meet @Exiled_Addick for a beer beforehand!
  • Oakster said:

4 games in Alberta - will have to meet @Exiled_Addick for a beer beforehand!

Definitely.

These joint bids seem the only sensible way forward to me. It helps share to load of the crippling cost and, although the USA wouldn't fill this bracket, allows some smaller nations who don't need 8+ 50,000 capacity stadiums to still host get some games without building a bunch of white elephants.
  • So 48 teams, divided by 16 groups, played across 3 countries.

Sounds absolutely shit.

I love the World Cup but I think that under this format I will virtually give up on the group games. We're just going to have 16 teams like Panama in each group with very few surprises occuring.

Also what happens if team A draw against both teams B&C? When B&C play each other they will know that a high scoring draw would get them both through on goals scored. What's to stop them agreeing on this before the match or at least agreeing to score 3 goals each in the first ten minutes before starting properly? I can really see a farce like this happening.

How many stupid ideas and decisions for the World Cup do we need FIFA to make before the big nations form a breakaway? - please!!!
  • They'll clearly have to arrange the kick off times so that Europe can watch it at a decent time, especially as about 20 of the countries in the tournament will be european.

Yes but only 33% of the teams will be European as opposed to 40% now. What fun to watch the Cape Verde Islands or Lebanon. What a load of crap.
  • couldn't agree more @Karim_myBagheri

I'm sick of hearing this excuse that they want to bring the world cup to new countries as well - if you need to build stadiums in order to host it, it means football ain't big enough in your country to start with to have the honour to host it. I'll add to that the US if they are multi purposing stadiums that were built for other sports like they did in '94 as well.

Exactly the point I was making.
  • SDAddick said:

if he replaced i with we there really would be no issue. as most people in his standing would do the same if england got it would the pm say not me personally but others worked hard on this.
    Exactly. I can pretty much guarantee he had little-to-nothing to do with this. Which is absolutely fine, it's not really his job (and not something most of the American public would have been paying attention to). But as you point out, it's a real slap in the face to those who did work very hard on this.
  • They'll clearly have to arrange the kick off times so that Europe can watch it at a decent time, especially as about 20 of the countries in the tournament will be european.

Yes but only 33% of the teams will be European as opposed to 40% now. What fun to watch the Cape Verde Islands or Lebanon. What a load of crap.
    I wonder if people will become more selective with their viewing, or will World Cup addiction take over, so you end up staying up until 2am to watch Costa Rica play Indonesia!