Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2026 World Cup

Comments

• What times were the games in 94?

Looking at all evening kick offs our time surely, might be quality.

6, 8, 10pm kick offs our time or similar?

russia for example the kick off times in local time have been

1,7,4,10 pm for the group stages;

these in la ( which i think is the biggest time diff ) would be;

1pm local - 8pm gmt
    4pm local - midnight gmt
    7pm local - 2am gmt
    10pm local - 5am gmt

• Rothko said:

Domestic flights in the US are a piece of piss, super frequent and loads of competition on most routes.

Pick a coast and go to games on it

and what about Canada and mexico?, plus most fans tend to want to follow their own nation

with a major wc flights to new york with 6 months notice dont think you would get change out of £5/600.00

also as others have said they only hosted it in 94.
    Countries tend to be based in one region though. At least for the group stages anyway.
    even with the cities announced they are not that close to each other.
  • What times were the games in 94?

a 7.45 kick off in la would be 3.45 in the morning
    Best get practising watching some NFL, NBA or MLB games.
  • la is 8 hours behind us not 7
  • I don't remember 3am games in 94 though? Anyone know?

• Brilliant @brunello we are going fella business trip wink wink

They'll probably be 6pm, 9pm and maybe midnight games GMT.

can only find the round of 16 which had matches played at

1 & 4.30 pm
  • They'll clearly have to arrange the kick off times so that Europe can watch it at a decent time, especially as about 20 of the countries in the tournament will be european.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    world cup '94 was almost exclusively on the east coast which is only a 5 hour difference, there were 2 stadiums used in California that hosted 14 out of the 52 games but they tended to be the earlier games (the final at the rose bowl for example was a 12.30 local time kick off)

we will have to hope for the same again.

edit also worth noting there will be 30 odd more games this time around in the same period of time so it will be almost certainly later kick off times.
  • poxy decision to give it to the US
  • so Mexico host it for a third time. The U.S.A who don't even like football that much host it for a second time with the last time back in the 90s and then we have Canada, where on the most part no sod lives.
  • Rothko said:

Domestic flights in the US are a piece of piss, super frequent and loads of competition on most routes.

and what about Canada and mexico?, plus most fans tend to want to follow their own nation

with a major wc flights to new york with 6 months notice dont think you would get change out of £5/600.00

Countries tend to be based in one region though. At least for the group stages anyway.
    Not in Brazil or Russia

they will definitely have to have groups allocated to each city
  • MrOneLung said:

Rothko said:

Not in Brazil or Russia

they will definitely have to have groups allocated to each city
    I believe they said it would be different for the United Bid. The teams would not have to criscross the country. They would play and stay in their time zone. Making all the group games at least drivable.
  • edited June 2018
    They won't show games at 10pm LA time. That would make no logical sense unless you want a game played at 5pm in Fiji and the rest of the Pacific Ocean.

The most likely compromise will be three games per day, starting at 5pm, 7:30pm, 10pm and midnight UK time, or similar.

On days where there is a less popular fourth game, they'll stick it on the beginning or the end.

They will cater to South American and European TV where they will squeeze out the most ad revenue.
  • edited June 2018

What times were the games in 94?

1pm local - 8pm gmt
    4pm local - midnight gmt
    7pm local - 2am gmt
    10pm local - 5am gmt

It will be BST not GMT.

As a nightbird suits me fine, much prefer late night games. Although I don't recall any really late ones in '94 and a quick look at Wiki seems to show the latest KO was 1930 EDT which would be 0030 but most games seem to have been locally 1100, 1300, 1400, 1500 KO's.
  • They won't show games at 10pm LA time. That would make no logical sense unless you want a game played at 5pm in Fiji and the rest of the Pacific Ocean.

The most likely compromise will be three games per day, starting at 5pm, 7:30pm, 10pm and midnight UK time, or similar.

On days where there is a less popular fourth game, they'll stick it on the beginning or the end.

They will cater to South American and European TV where they will squeeze out the most ad revenue.

If there is 80 odd games in the tournament will they be able to only do 3 games a day though? Unless they extend the length of the tournament by a week or 2 I don't see how they can.
  • I hope Diana Ross practices her penalty kicks this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Riviera said:

What times were the games in 94?

1pm local - 8pm gmt
    4pm local - midnight gmt
    7pm local - 2am gmt
    10pm local - 5am gmt

It will be BST not GMT.

As a nightbird suits me fine, much prefer late night games. Although I don't recall any really late ones in '94 and a quick look at Wiki seems to show the latest KO was 1930 EDT which would be 0030 but most games seem to have been locally 1100, 1300, 1400, 1500 KO's.
    either way will be a bit of a poxy tournament to watch and shouldnt be given to countries that have hosted it 3 times between them
  • From Rob Smyth over at The Guardian. I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Argentina are a shout. Their group is very difficult, they're not great at the back, and they looked disjointed throughout much of qualification--but I just can't bet against Sampaoli.

The other shouts on the live blog are Germany and England. I could definitely see it happening to England if they do the England thing where they turn up and forget how to play football. Tunisia aren't that bad. Germany, I think, will be out in the quarter finals, and their group is tough, but I think even if they struggle the teams in their group will beat up on each other enough that they'll be able to go through.

I don't know on this one. Thoughts?
  • depending on the reaction of the players to losing the manager Spain could easily implode - Ramos is always a risk to lose his discipline anyway and if he and Iniesta have reacted as badly as is rumoured then it's not beyond the realms they might down tools. There is bound to be a certain amount of tension with the Catalan players as well - lots of circumstances there that will make the Spanish camp an unpleasant place to be despite all the skills and ability involved.
  • Yeah been thinking the same about Argentina as Croatia and Iceland wont be easy by any means
  • edited June 2018
    Have been saying for a while that I think the Germans aren't as good as everyone thinks... they don't have an easy group. Argentina also don't.

England not making out of the group isn't a shock lol.

Just realised this is the wrong WC thread!
  • Have been saying for a while that I think the Germans aren't as good as everyone thinks... they don't have an easy group. Argentina also don't.

Agree with you 100%. I don't think Low has manager the transition between generations that well, and it looks a somewhat stale side.
  • edited June 2018

Have been saying for a while that I think the Germans aren't as good as everyone thinks... they don't have an easy group. Argentina also don't.

Without being overly optimistic, because I'm not when it comes to England, but I think we have a sneaky outside chance of doing very well at this tournament. Southgate gets it and this group of players work hard for him.
  • SDAddick said:

From Rob Smyth over at The Guardian. I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Argentina are a shout. Their group is very difficult, they're not great at the back, and they looked disjointed throughout much of qualification--but I just can't bet against Sampaoli.

The other shouts on the live blog are Germany and England. I could definitely see it happening to England if they do the England thing where they turn up and forget how to play football. Tunisia aren't that bad. Germany, I think, will be out in the quarter finals, and their group is tough, but I think even if they struggle the teams in their group will beat up on each other enough that they'll be able to go through.

I don't know on this one. Thoughts?

Portugal for me. Happy to be proved wrong but I shall be backing Morocco for the second place in that group
  • think were on the wrong world cup
  • The fact is England are going into this United States World Cup under HUGE pressure

Winners in Russia AND Qatar - Our lads certainly have a lot to do to continue the trend