Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2026 World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Much like the Trump and Clinton election, how on earth have they ended up with those 2 options?
  • Options
    Hadnt realized it was going up to 48 Countries from 2026(Scotland might actually Qualify)

16 groups of 3 teams
    Top 2 go through to knockout stages
  • Options
    How the hell haven’t we had it again? I know why but how can such a blantanty unfair system be allowed to roll on? We’ve got the stadiums and infrastructure.
    England 66, USA 94 and the yanks are up for hosting it again.

• Options
    Valley11 said:

How the hell haven’t we had it again? I know why but how can such a blantanty unfair system be allowed to roll on? We’ve got the stadiums and infrastructure.
    England 66, USA 94 and the yanks are up for hosting it again.

It should be a bit like St Andrews - every 5 years or so it hosts the Open as the home of golf, so the home of football should host it every 20 years or so. Seems fair to me.
  • Options
    The problem is England and the FA

We are the oldest football Association

We have the oldest cup competition in the FA cup

Our FA own the rules to football and as such are the custodians of the game we are hated for all of the above and as such are punished by the scum that is known as FIFA

• Options
    The secret joint bid from Antarctica and The Maldives will win. I like idea of a huge, old fashioned centre half clearing a ball on to a nearby island.
  • Options
    60 years of hurt.
  • Options
    The 2030 bid might be a joint one with Scotland and Wales apparently.
  • Options

Hadnt realized it was going up to 48 Countries from 2026(Scotland might actually Qualify)

16 groups of 3 teams

That sounds rubbish. Teams more bothered about trying not to lose, a massive Group Stage to only knock out the bottom few teams etc, bet it doesn't really get going until the knockout stages (even more than normal).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

16 groups of 3 teams

That sounds rubbish. Teams more bothered about trying not to lose, a massive Group Stage to only knock out the bottom few teams etc, bet it doesn't really get going until the knockout stages (even more than normal).
    FIFA have said its to stop dead rubbers towards the end of the groups.

So going into the last game even the team bottom of the group have a chance
  • Options
    Morocco for me.
    The kick off times would suit us much better watching on tv.
  • Options

16 groups of 3 teams

FIFA have said its to stop dead rubbers towards the end of the groups.

So going into the last game even the team bottom of the group have a chance
    Bollocks is it. Just a money thing.

Dead rubbers aren't a big problem, and this also raises the risk of agreed draws etc surely given not all teams in the group play the last game.
  • Options

I would like there to be two rules for World Cup bids:

1. No joint bids. One nation for one competition. No exceptions. (24 or max 32 teams to make this a reasonable rule)

2. All stadiums must already be built and up to obligatory capacities for the bid to be accepted.

These rules would ensure that true footballing nations only would receive the honour of hosting a World Cup Finals. Bollocks to Qatar and other wanabees.

Holland and Belgium may disagree, that said it's Morocco for me.
  • Options
    The system of rotating between the FIFA confederations is unfair to UEFA as we have go many of the top football countries, in terms of players, clubs and facilities. With CONACAF getting just as many opportunities to host it as ourselves, the US and Mexico stand a much better chance of hosting it.

It does seem that UEFA are behind an English or British bid for 2030, though Argentina/Uruguay will provide stiff competition. Making it a British bid may help, as we can point to Wales and Scotland as first time hosts, and using the Millennium Stadium as a venue makes more sense than upgrading say Ashton Gate.
  • Options
    russia, all over europe, qatar, euro 2024 Germany or turkey!!!, morocco

some run of shit venues for them, shame as i was hoping to do another major tournament.
  • Options
    As much as FIFA would love to give it to Morocco, the security implications and the road transport infrastructure will go against them.
  • Options

As much as FIFA would love to give it to Morocco, the security implications and the road transport infrastructure will go against them.

Like it did with Russia and Qatar....
  • Options
    Was chatting to a Moroccan businessman today and he said there has been huge investment in hotels and the transport infrastructure in preparation for the bid.

One of the things that concerns the Moroccan delegation is the sway that the US have over other countries and especially that some federations who get a vote are actually US overseas territories, ie Guam and the US Virgin islands. Surely that's not fair?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was chatting to a Moroccan businessman today and he said there has been huge investment in hotels and the transport infrastructure in preparation for the bid.

One of the things that concerns the Moroccan delegation is the sway that the US have over other countries and especially that some federations who get a vote are actually US overseas territories, ie Guam and the US Virgin islands. Surely that's not fair?

Nothing’s fair with FIFA.
  • Options

When is the vote?

June 13th
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Decision time tomorrow...

Fifa World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico v Morocco - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44428947

Interesting that there is the.possibility of no winner tomorrow which could open it up for a European country to bid. Unlikely to happen though and I expect that the USA, Canada and Mexico bid will get it, although the Trump factor might enter into the decision.
  • Options
    hope morocco get it purely because there isn't a huge time difference (1 hour) I don't want my football at 3 in the morning ta.
  • Options
    USA is not really a football country and they had it in 94, which wasn't a great tournament. Canada have only ever qualified once, I think, and Mexico have had it twice, in 70 and 86. I hope Morocco win the bid.
  • Options
    Will certainly be interesting if neither get it

Following on from @CharltonMadrid - All countries will vote, if 50% put "neither" on their ballot then its open for European and Asian countries to bid to be hosts

I guess they're no expecting it, yet wonder who'd put themselves forward... Surely be a good opportunity for England, especially as there would surely be less time for preparations etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    48 team World Cup is still going to be a complete mess no matter who hosts it.

Stretch to 40 and have eight groups of five, each playing four games instead of the current three. That would probably work and FIFA would get 88 games out of a World Cup.

Sixteen groups of three is mental, surely chaotic and the group stage still only gets rid of a third of the teams, creates a "round of 32" while FIFA only gets an 80 game tournament.
  • Options
    The US/Canada/Mexico bid looks to have the backing of the North and South American teams and many Asian ones with most European countries and African countries supporting the Moroccan bid. Could be close.
  • Options
    It slightly concerns me that Morocco would need to build 9 new stadiums for the World Cup. Can the country afford it, and what will happen to them afterwards?

From the BBC
    Nine miles from the south of Spain, Morocco has a lot going for it in terms of appealing to a European crowd.

A few hours' flight from major European countries and in a favourable timezone, bid chief Hicham El Amrani says the African country's bid is "almost a European World Cup".

Games would be in 14 stadiums - nine of which need to be built - located in 12 cities.
    Every host city is located within a 550km radius of Casablanca.
    The final would be in the 93,000-capacity Grand Stade de Casablanca.
    It would only be the second World Cup on the continent, after South Africa hosted in 2010.
    Morocco hosted 16 teams for the 2018 African Nations Championship in January and February, and also staged the Fifa Club World Cup in 2013 and 2014.