Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unpopular Opinion:Football Edition

2»

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Roland's network idea was actually pretty shrewd. If the FA had showed some balls and enforced financial fair play it could have worked.
  • Mr Largo has bought shares in South Eastern railways.
  • edited May 2018

Roland's network idea was actually pretty shrewd. If the FA had showed some balls and enforced financial fair play it could have worked.

An idea that could work (see Watford) but for me it was poorly researched with the wrong choice of clubs. At least from our point of view. Only Standard Liege could provide us with players that were good enough, and even then there were mixed results.

There was no proper understanding of the levels the clubs were playing at. It should have been obvious that players such as Polish Pete, Koc and Nego weren’t going to be up to it. I saw the first two in an u21 game v Brighton and it was clear in 90 my minutes they weren’t Championship players.

It then worked for a season as we finished in mid table with the likes of Buyens, Ben Haim and Watt coming from Standard Liege and doing well. Once RD sold them we had to rely even more on network scouting and signed Sarr, Ba, Bergdich etc.

It could have worked for us, just not with those clubs and Roland running it.
  • Scoham said:

An idea that could work (see Watford) but for me it was poorly researched with the wrong choice of clubs. At least from our point of view. Only Standard Liege could provide us with players that were good enough, and even then there were mixed results.

There was no proper understanding of the levels the clubs were playing at. It should have been obvious that players such as Polish Pete, Koc and Nego weren’t going to be up to it. I saw the first two in an u21 game v Brighton and it was clear in 90 my minutes they weren’t Championship players.

It then worked for a season as we finished in mid table with the likes of Buyens, Ben Haim and Watt coming from Standard Liege and doing well. Once RD sold them we had to rely even more on network scouting and signed Sarr, Ba, Bergdich etc.

It could have worked for us, just not with those clubs and Roland running it.

I feel that your well reasoned analysis is violating my unpopular opinions safe space.
  • With every managerial change we improved our ranking.
  • Michael Carrick is one of the most underrated footballers ever
  • Messi isn’t in the top 3 greatest players of all time
  • I thought George Tucudean was actually a good striker, I loved Andre Bikey and I thought Billy Clarke was massively underrated
  • Lilian Thuram was better at his job than Jan Tomaszewski
  • Charlton Athletic are not by far the greatest team the world has ever seen
  • Sponsored links:

• Ronaldinho was overrated 
  • Matt Southall is as honest as the day is long, if Nimer had given him a chance he'd have steered Charlton to everlasting glory.
  • 14 chips is a perfectly reasonable amount.
  • edited April 2020
    A machine gun tattoo is not an appropriate way to remember a close family member who was gunned down
  • Priti Patel is an absolute sort and I would very much like to opportunity to have intensive Ugandan discussions with her.
  • The next 2 weeks are crucial