Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Italy

Comments

• razil said:

Stop it all falling over I guess

razil said:

Easier to prop it up through intimidation and fear. Worked(LOL) with Greece.
  • razil said:

razil said:

Not really. Greece was an isolated case in many ways. If you look of the map of Germany's biggest export markets, there's a lot of Euro countries in there. If their economies struggle then eventually it'll hit the German economy. The more Euro countries struggle the bigger the pressure will be on the European Central Bank to act, and the more those struggles effect German companies, the less pull there will be to either not act or act in a different direction from Germany.

Whilst the problem is isolated to Italy then the ECB will act to keep maximum stability for the other Euro nations. Spain and Ireland are recovering fairly nicely, France and the Benelux countries are doing well, there's not much pressure on the ECB to make changes just to help Italy, especially if it risks the welfare of any of the other states.
  • razil said:

razil said:

Whilst the problem is isolated to Italy then the ECB will act to keep maximum stability for the other Euro nations. Spain and Ireland are recovering fairly nicely, France and the Benelux countries are doing well, there's not much pressure on the ECB to make changes just to help Italy, especially if it risks the welfare of any of the other states.
    That right there is the problem though, surely. As long as others are doing fine, Italy can be essentially cast aside.
  • Owen Jones article !!! FFS save me a copy -----the hedge hogs have nothing to shit on
  • razil said:

razil said:

That right there is the problem though, surely. As long as others are doing fine, Italy can be essentially cast aside.
    As you and many others have said, a single currency across multiple economies is always going to be a problem as it removed the fiscal portion of economy control from the nations arsenal. The only thing I'd differ from you on is that I don't believe it's run purely for Germany's benefit, it's run for the benefit of it's member nations, and the majority will always hold sway over the minority in that situation, plus, by necessity, the ECB will always be more conservative than a single nation's bank.

I think a single currency is an inevitability, but not for a long time. Economies are too immature and volatile currently, you're looking for generations of stability before it become viable to my mind, and the current boom bust nature means it can't work properly unless you can manufacture all the member nations being on lockstep in that boom bust cycle. Otherwise you will always have the situation where you need to damage one or more economies in order to rescue another.
  • Owen Jones article !!! FFS save me a copy -----the hedge hogs have nothing to shit on

You should read it, his opinion is sympathetic to Brexit.
  • I didn't say it's solely for Germany's benefit, but they certainly benefit the most, imo.
  • Stig said:

'cos the Lira was a roaring success.

Think I’ve still got about a billion old Lira somewhere. Probably worth a few bob.
  • Stig said:

'cos the Lira was a roaring success.

Think I’ve still got about a billion old Lira somewhere. Probably worth a few bob.
    2/6d
  • Sponsored links:

• To get the best Italian food - go to the small family run cafe or better still have the food of an Italian 'Mama'. If you go by the Italian food you get here, even at the very best establishments it is not the same. Its the freshness of the ingredients and just knowing what works. I had a seafood risotto whilst away that was orgasmic!

If I am eating out in this country, Italian would be behind Asian, but that is because it is not the same here as it is there!

We went to a little place off the beaten track, run by 2 elderly sisters when we were in Amalfi a few years ago.

Luckily my wife speaks a bit of Italian as they didn’t know a word of English.

Best Italian food I’ve ever eaten.
  • edited June 2018
    Florence is very well done up some of it, almost too much.

• Short but sensible article asking how radical Savona is really..

https://euobserver.com/elections/141914

Note what he said before euro adoption. We sometimes forget that the euro is considered essential for an efficient Single Market, even though it contains countries that don't have it.
  • Meanwhile, the will of the Italian people is....

If the question were- would you like to stay in the Euro if it meant persistent high youth unemployment and general austerity for the next ten years or more-I would be more impressed.
  • dizzee said:

Personally I find Italian food totally overrated.
    Garlic
    Olive oil
    Pasta.
    Repeat until bored.

If that’s all you’re eating over there you need to branch out.

For me it’s hands down best food in the world. Try their meats, fish, regional delicacies. Coffee, gelato, pastries. The wines with olives for starters. Then the fresh fruit after finished with grappa. Can’t be beaten. I can’t stop eating when out there.

Then the landscape is unbelievable. Especially places like Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano. Absolutely breath taking.

Then the passion for football and the chilled lifestyle. The mopeds zooming around with a cigarette in one hand and their kid on the front with their dog on the back.

The retro buildings and amazing architecture, churches, mountains, cliff fronts, Vesuvius across the water.

Just a shame about the economy.
    Totally agree with this. Pointless getting into a this food is better than that food arguement. I just like great food and don't care where it comes from! Italian definitely one of the best.
    Can't beat being in a country and eating what the locals eat. What I love in rural Italy is that you eat local produce for which there is great pride. So 40 miles inland you see very little fish act. The regional variations are huge so a little simplistic to label it all pasta/garlic/olive oil ect. Rural Tuscany very different to Amalfi/Bay of Naples. But both excellent.

That said if you base your views on Italian city centre tourist restaurants or English high street "Italian" restaurants I could see that your view may be somewhat different!
  • edited June 2018
    Southbank said:

Meanwhile, the will of the Italian people is....

If the question were- would you like to stay in the Euro if it meant persistent high youth unemployment and general austerity for the next ten years or more-I would be more impressed.
    That's a pretty bold prediction from someone who said (repeatedly and often) that its impossible to know the future every time a negative Brexit prediction was brought up.
  • Southbank said:

Meanwhile, the will of the Italian people is....

Ha. Or if our referendum had the rider, "Btw, we don't actually know what kind of Brexit we want, let alone how to activate it, but anyway, please vote..."

• edited June 2018

To get the best Italian food - go to the small family run cafe or better still have the food of an Italian 'Mama'. If you go by the Italian food you get here, even at the very best establishments it is not the same. Its the freshness of the ingredients and just knowing what works. I had a seafood risotto whilst away that was orgasmic!

If I am eating out in this country, Italian would be behind Asian, but that is because it is not the same here as it is there!

We went to a little place off the beaten track, run by 2 elderly sisters when we were in Amalfi a few years ago.

Exactly. Italian Mama's are the best cooks that ever existed. In a way it is pointless trying to explain how they are completely on another level to anything else other than to somebody like you who has experienced it and already understands.

If you go to a supermarket in Italy, you will see lots of varieties of tomatoes with irregular shapes. That is because they go for the taste there and we go for the shape and uniformity of look!

Back to politics - people are harsh on Owen Jones because he has passion. He is a very intelligent, decent man with the energy of youth. Some don't like passion and energy! And what he has written in the article above is spot on.
  • To get the best Italian food - go to the small family run cafe or better still have the food of an Italian 'Mama'. If you go by the Italian food you get here, even at the very best establishments it is not the same. Its the freshness of the ingredients and just knowing what works. I had a seafood risotto whilst away that was orgasmic!

Exactly. Italian Mama's are the best cooks that ever existed. In a way it is pointless trying to explain how they are completely on another level to anything else other than to somebody like you who has experienced it and already understands.

If you go to a supermarket in Italy, you will see lots of varieties of tomatoes with irregular shapes. That is because they go for the taste there and we go for the shape and uniformity of look!

Back to politics - people are harsh on Owen Jones because he has passion. He is a very intelligent, decent man with the energy of youth. Some don't like passion and energy! And what he has written in the article above is spot on.
    You realise it's all a matter of opinion, right? Just because someone doesn't like Italian food, it doesn't make them wrong. I happen to think the best food in the world is found in South East Asia and Italian food is kinda shitty, neither of us are wrong, we just like different things.

• Sponsored links:

You realise it's all a matter of opinion, right? Just because someone doesn't like Italian food, it doesn't make them wrong. I happen to think the best food in the world is found in South East Asia and Italian food is kinda shitty, neither of us are wrong, we just like different things.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Italian food is good, Asian food is better.

Spanish food is woeful!

Spanish food is woeful!
    I really like Paella ...and the Tapas Revolution chain of restaurants make excellent food.
  • stonemuse said:

To get the best Italian food - go to the small family run cafe or better still have the food of an Italian 'Mama'. If you go by the Italian food you get here, even at the very best establishments it is not the same. Its the freshness of the ingredients and just knowing what works. I had a seafood risotto whilst away that was orgasmic!

Spanish food is woeful!
    I really like Paella ...and the Tapas Revolution chain of restaurants make excellent food.
    Food in peoples houses is good (in case any Spanish friends are reading) but food out is very samey and doesn't sustain interest beyond a two week holiday. If you like a slab of meat at every meal then Spain is for you. It does have individual things that can be good but not the range of stuff you would get in an Asian country or Italy.

Not here it wouldn't mate...some berk would say its only 37%.

Not here it wouldn't mate...some berk would say its only 37%.
    I am still waiting for the Remainers on here to say the Irish abortion vote is not valid on that basis- silence so far.
  • edited June 2018

The point I am trying to make is that a lot of people who don't like Italian food haven't tried real Italian food. And it does vary from region to region which is fantastic! Of course there will be some who don't like it, there are some that like Chicken Nuggets!

Spanish food is woeful!
    As much as I like Italian food, I have to agree with you about Asian being better.

I do like Spanish food though (I just like food full stop)

Spanish food is woeful!
    As much as I like Italian food, I have to agree with you about Asian being better.

It doesn't help (in Spain) that I am a veggie.

Spanish food is woeful!

It doesn't help (in Spain) that I am a veggie.
    Mmm, I can see that being a bit of a problem.