Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bad day for traffic in Dartford

Comments

• Options

Don't know what a bus was doing in that road - as far as I know they don't go down there - even if it was brake failure, I don't understand how it got so far unless he kept his foot on the accelerator - was the bus stolen ?

Correct. The 480 should not be on that road. This hasn't been mentioned on any of the reports that I have read so far. It normally goes around the back of the station/b&q, and turns around again to start its journey back to Gravesend. I used to use that bus all of the time.

• Options
    Unreal that nobody was seriously hurt.

We’re there people on the bus itself? (Other than the driver)
  • Options
    GD78 said:

Don't know what a bus was doing in that road - as far as I know they don't go down there - even if it was brake failure, I don't understand how it got so far unless he kept his foot on the accelerator - was the bus stolen ?

Correct. The 480 should not be on that road. This hasn't been mentioned on any of the reports that I have read so far. It normally goes around the back of the station/b&q, and turns around again to start its journey back to Gravesend. I used to use that bus all of the time.

It may well have been on diversion due to the traffic gridlock yesterday. Still doesn't excuse going so fast along what is a 20mph road. It must have been going much faster than the speed limit to take out that many cars and cause that much damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-44293946

Even a lead story on the BBC website now!
  • Options
    Wilma said:

GD78 said:

It may well have been on diversion due to the traffic gridlock yesterday. Still doesn't excuse going so fast along what is a 20mph road. It must have been going much faster than the speed limit to take out that many cars and cause that much damage.
    Could a bus get around that tight corner outside the Bull and Vic ?

Something very strange about all this
  • Options

Wilma said:

GD78 said:

Buses do run down that road, as there is a bus stop across the road from the Stage Door.
  • Options

Wilma said:

GD78 said:

Buses do run down that road, as there is a bus stop across the road from the Stage Door.
    Just looked on google maps and you are right - I never realised - I cannot honestly remember seeing a bus go down that road
  • Options
    The bus stop isn't used anymore. It used to be used for, amongst others, a short service that went up Burnham Road to the Mercedes Garage and back but it didn't last long.
    As far as I know there are no buses that need to travel down Hythe Street at all, so perhaps the driver came from the Bus garage behind Mill Pond Road to start the Gravesend run and instead of turning left into Home Gardens, for some reason turned right into Westgate and had to double back by going into Kent Road and then Hythe Street.

I know Mill Pond road was flooded earlier in the day, so it is also possible that as the driver couldn't get back to the garage, so he or she did a straight turnaround and again instead of using the right turn at the lights decided to go through Dartford.

Either way, it doesn't explain why the Driver/Bus just kept on going after hitting the first car?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something very suspicious about this!!

I use that bus on a daily basis so I'm thankful I wasn't on it!
  • Options

Something very suspicious about this!!

I use that bus on a daily basis so I'm thankful I wasn't on it!

Very suspicous if you ask me, looks deliberate.
  • Options
    That deffo looks dodgy! Traffic screwed again tonight.
  • Options
    Driver wasn't a Mr. D Gibson recently relocated from the Sunderland area was it?
  • Options
    I used to drive that route daily until 18 months ago. Everyone is right in saying the 480 doesn’t go down there. We were at times asked to divert round the “oneway” due to traffic under the bridge at Prospect Place. So could be a reason. I personally don’t believe brake failure. They have too many safety features. Yes these can go wrong. My honest opinion? Foot Placement error. Hitting accelator instead of the brakes. Brain doesn’t clock on to this at the time. We’re taught about this in training/cpc courses. Being a bus driver becomes rather robotic. I know this driver well. There’s always three sides to a story. His side. There side & the truth.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Driver wasn't a Mr. D Gibson recently relocated from the Sunderland area was it?

It was Ant on the BGT tour bus
  • Options
    James86 said:

I used to drive that route daily until 18 months ago. Everyone is right in saying the 480 doesn’t go down there. We were at times asked to divert round the “oneway” due to traffic under the bridge at Prospect Place. So could be a reason. I personally don’t believe brake failure. They have too many safety features. Yes these can go wrong. My honest opinion? Foot Placement error. Hitting accelator instead of the brakes. Brain doesn’t clock on to this at the time. We’re taught about this in training/cpc courses. Being a bus driver becomes rather robotic. I know this driver well. There’s always three sides to a story. His side. There side & the truth.

So if a bus comes round that really tight bend by the Bull and Vic it's got to go really slow - add to that Dartford was in gridlock at the time anyway, the driver must have really put his foot down after getting straight for the run past the post office - cars were clearly queuing from the All Night Cars cab office at least - the bus has clearly ploughed down the middle of the two ranks of queuing cars - on the face of it there is either a malfunction of the accelerator or he lost the plot or it was deliberate

You say you know the fella - could he have lost the plot ? (serious question)
  • Options

James86 said:

Ongoing police issue - would advise no details shared please
  • Options

James86 said:

Ongoing police issue - would advise no details shared please
    Good point - apologies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    @Lordflashheart I can’t disagree with you’re saying. Mechanical things can fail without warning. I wasn’t there, I’ve asked people in the know. I won’t slate Arriva online but the standards/maintenance of vehicles in my time there was shocking. I’m interested in the findings. It was me speculating on how or why it happened. The CCTV on BBC doesn’t show the brake lights working on the bus? Which goes to your point of the malfunction in accelerator or mine with the foot placement error. Has he been slowing down to join queuing traffic but slammed on the accelator instead?
    Lost the plot? No way. Awful driver? Maybe.
  • Options
    James86 said:

@Lordflashheart I can’t disagree with you’re saying. Mechanical things can fail without warning. I wasn’t there, I’ve asked people in the know. I won’t slate Arriva online but the standards/maintenance of vehicles in my time there was shocking. I’m interested in the findings. It was me speculating on how or why it happened. The CCTV on BBC doesn’t show the brake lights working on the bus? Which goes to your point of the malfunction in accelerator or mine with the foot placement error. Has he been slowing down to join queuing traffic but slammed on the accelator instead?
    Lost the plot? No way. Awful driver? Maybe.

If you put my foot on the accelerator by mistake, you quickly realise and switch pedal.

The distance he travelled seems far too far for a quick press of the wrong pedal. He might have hit a couple of cars if he'd done that, not 20!

To me it must be
    a) brake failure
    b) driver illness (e.g. a heart attack)
    c) deliberate driver action (whether wilful or due to some sort of mental issue)
  • Options
    It'd Friday & Dartford at a standstill.
  • Options

It'd Friday & Dartford at a standstill.

There has been a big accident on Princes Road near the football ground.
  • Options
    Saying 1hr 30mins home from Orpington to Strood via the M25 today

No surprise seeing its Friday as that road seems especially bad come the end of the week
  • Options
    The M25 doesn’t go to Strood. Hope that helps :wink:
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

The M25 doesn’t go to Strood. Hope that helps :wink:

Helps tremendously thank you ;)
  • Options
    apparently 3 accidents in and around the main roads of Dartford today

T'riffic
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

apparently 3 accidents in and around the main roads of Dartford today

T'riffic

You have my sympathy, when I worked there it would take me longer to get from the middle of Dartford where that bus crashed the other week to the M25 roundabout than it would to do the rest of the journey back to Medway

• Options
    My wife’s currently stuck at Bluewater. Took our daughter to a party that finished at 5:30 and the car park was gridlocked.

Went back inside for a coffee but it’s still not moving. Someone was giving out info and there’s been an accident on the M25.